Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If Canada's govt wants to enrichen itself at the expense of their own people by making our products more expensive, that is their issue.
And it is! The Canadians have a very expensive welfare system in place and this is how they pay for it, sort of!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 05:28 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Guess we will see how this repeat pushback works out. Claiming subsidies hasn't ever been a FACT proven for over 200 years... what make one think anything has changed? Yes, Canada is far more into conservation than the US is, so take very seriously cutting down our Forests. The Forests can't be arbitrarily cleared as the Government owns most of them and decides just how much can be cut down.
I would dispute that. The Canadian government has no problem flooding those forests regardless of the damage to the fish and the impact on the native peoples to produce electricity for the cities. That isn't conservation.

And I would dispute your other claims that the U.S. is "depleting" our timber resources. Our commercial timberlands are capable of producing timber infinitely into the future. Canada's forests are far more boreal and have less diversity of species and lower quantities of high quality timber (i.e., eastern white pine, red pine, and hardwoods like sugar maple, hickory, oak, walnut, etc.). We have a lot more people than Canada but they are still largely confined to a handful of dense urban areas. We have a lot of wild and undeveloped land.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:35 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Depends. Does Trump have facts on his side on this. Just because Trump does something, doesn't mean it's wrong.
As a Forester that worked in the states and attended grad school in Canada....Trump is right.

The Canadian governments (BC in this case since they are the prime exporters of Canadian wood) do NOT make a distinction between the government and Canadian corporations.

In British Columbia, the government literally gives away government timber to the timber corporations. In the United States timber is sold at auction by the Federal, state and local governments and private firms. The environmental regulations are very lax in Canada....not sure if Trump raised that issue under NAFTA.

In fairness to the Canadians....they do NOT see a problem with giving away government resources to the private sector. So they do not view as a unfair trade practice. It is the way they manage their public lands.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
And it is! The Canadians have a very expensive welfare system in place and this is how they pay for it, sort of!
with jobs? or did you mean the Oil...(hint that provides the trade surplus)

Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I would dispute that. The Canadian government has no problem flooding those forests regardless of the damage to the fish and the impact on the native peoples to produce electricity for the cities. That isn't conservation.

And I would dispute your other claims that the U.S. is "depleting" our timber resources. Our commercial timberlands are capable of producing timber infinitely into the future. Canada's forests are far more boreal and have less diversity of species and lower quantities of high quality timber (i.e., eastern white pine, red pine, and hardwoods like sugar maple, hickory, oak, walnut, etc.). We have a lot more people than Canada but they are still largely confined to a handful of dense urban areas. We have a lot of wild and undeveloped land.
Okay then, but (I do think you have very little understanding how Canadian Government and economy works) IF USA had such an abundance of Forestry products.. Why have they been purchasing our Soft wood products for hundreds of years???

BTW~~ CDN funds are about 25% average lower than American USD. Could it be that Canadian charge for product is already 25% less than American product? That should be a boon for the construction industry.. But slap on 20% tariff... will only affected the consumer. Let the consumer decide. Personally, it doesn't affect me.. but the constant challenges to allies is becoming tiresome and speaks volumes!!!

Yell, bullying and blaming allies will reap it's own rewards in the end. Pleasing his base ( Trump) will backfire sooner rather than later when the going gets tough.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Lol. yes basic economics...in theory. Not in reality.

Ok honey our new house will be $220,000. We're prepared for that. Oh wait now it might be $223,000? Never!!!!!
Actually happens all the time. But in economic terms it is a question of how elastic the market is. In a highly elastic market it can make a big difference. In an inelastic market little.

But it pretty much always makes a difference.

And when you are a first time home buyer and the $3,000 pushes the house over your limit you don't buy it...simple as that.

Now as your post has make it clear you don't understand this stuff why don't you simply stop replying.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Lyndarn, as a professional Forester for 40 years and having attended graduate school in British Columbia. Trust me, Canadian forestry practices are DISMAL.....they are also most likely NOT SUSTAINABLE.

My quote after seeing Canadian forestry practices and this was in the 1970's......."why are they using their number one industry Forestry to destroy their number two industry fisheries?" The British Columbia forestry practices have not improved over the years. I just traveled across British Columbia last summer....why do the Canadian people tolerate the destruction of THEIR land!! It is public land!!!

I left. No way could I work for a country with such a lack of environmental ethics.

BTW....my observations are limited to British Columbia forestry practices and to a lesser extent Alberta. I have no knowledge of Canadian forestry practices in hardwood forests.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:13 PM

234 posts, read 122,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Canadians will still supply the lumber, but going forward, the US government will take a much bigger piece of the action. All of a sudden Republicans think funneling our money to the government is a great idea.
Just not worthy of a response....just nonsense.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually they do. Everyone has a point where they wont spend money to build, and this shifts that point. It really is basic economics..
Not anymore. The trend today has turned away from the McMansions. Fewer materials used in a new home always brings down the price.

In a tiny house, the difference in cost between US and Canadian lumber is next to nothing, and the home of tomorrow is looking a lot more like the past, when an 800 sq.ft. home was the norm. That's the big trend.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not anymore. The trend today has turned away from the McMansions. Fewer materials used in a new home always brings down the price.

In a tiny house, the difference in cost between US and Canadian lumber is next to nothing, and the home of tomorrow is looking a lot more like the past, when an 800 sq.ft. home was the norm. That's the big trend.
Average house size has not dropped that I have seen.

Got any link to indicate it has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies