Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Alrite! Let's start a WAR with Canada, eh! It'll be cheap, close to home, and will help the economy, eh.
Plus, there's always the chance we could lose and become Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:35 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Okay then, but (I do think you have very little understanding how Canadian Government and economy works) IF USA had such an abundance of Forestry products.. Why have they been purchasing our Soft wood products for hundreds of years???

BTW~~ CDN funds are about 25% average lower than American USD. Could it be that Canadian charge for product is already 25% less than American product? That should be a boon for the construction industry.. But slap on 20% tariff... will only affected the consumer. Let the consumer decide. Personally, it doesn't affect me.. but the constant challenges to allies is becoming tiresome and speaks volumes!!!

Yell, bullying and blaming allies will reap it's own rewards in the end. Pleasing his base ( Trump) will backfire sooner rather than later when the going gets tough.
Price. Canada is giving its natural resources away at lower prices than private landowners in the U.S. Both countries have a similar amount of forest land. The U.S. has higher growth rates due to climate and soils and a greater variety of species. Canada has more of its timber resources in public ownership. Canada's government is allowed to literally give away timber. Federal lands in the U.S. generally must get market value for timber. You also won't see the massive clearcuts and replanting as basically plantations you still see in Canada on U.S. federal lands. Regulations have changed forestry practices in the U.S. due to public pressure. I'm not ignorant of Canada and its forestry, I am a forester and I work on federal lands. I had professors from Canada at school, Canadian forestry was studied. I've seen it on visits. I think Canada is way behind the U.S. in terms of the silviculture practiced and its management of fisheries and scenic areas (i.e., the many great falls destroyed by dams in Canada).

The timber trade disputes have been going on for decades. Trump didn't start this one. It won't be ending anytime soon. I doubt too many people in either country are going to hate the other country over it either.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Lyndarn, as a professional Forester for 40 years and having attended graduate school in British Columbia. Trust me, Canadian forestry practices are DISMAL.....they are also most likely NOT SUSTAINABLE.

My quote after seeing Canadian forestry practices and this was in the 1970's......."why are they using their number one industry Forestry to destroy their number two industry fisheries?" The British Columbia forestry practices have not improved over the years. I just traveled across British Columbia last summer....why do the Canadian people tolerate the destruction of THEIR land!! It is public land!!!

I left. No way could I work for a country with such a lack of environmental ethics.

BTW....my observations are limited to British Columbia forestry practices and to a lesser extent Alberta. I have no knowledge of Canadian forestry practices in hardwood forests.
While your experiences of many decades ago may be very true... However, in the past quarter century, Canada has moved quite aways towards Conservation and Valuing Environment. This all happened with a whole lot of lobbyists, Environmentalist, programs to become Environmentally friendly with initiatives.

It's not like it was like when you were witnessing practices.. I too can say, Canada's policies back then was abysmal .. and IT is NOT anywhere near like that today! Forestry as you said is mostly noted in BC.. BUT you know full well, that Forestry goes way beyond one Province.. Take a look at any map of Canada... one can see very clearly just where populous live. Canadian sure value their wildlife as well as their beautiful untouched natural resources.

I do thank you though for reminding me of how Canada was back in those days. It sure was a fight, especially with the Indigenous Tribes and Environment Conscientious people! Remember the fight to protect the Kermode Bear ( Spirit Bear) and the HUGE fight with the Forestry Department? This Rare, White Bear May Be the Key to Saving a Canadian Rainforest | Science | Smithsonian

SO over the years, MUCH has changed and attitudes have been moderated the Politicians!! So take my word for it

Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Plus, there's always the chance we could lose and become Canadians.
Might be a brilliant idea...we could throw the war...And become losers and refugees and no one would have any reason to hate us any more.

And while the Canadians were celebrating their victory we could probably swipe the whole place. Claim we liberated them from the Texans.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Perhaps some people should actually read the OPs link and listen to the commentary.

Quote:
The so-called countervailing duties, which counter what the U.S. considers Canadian subsidies, came in below some analyst expectations. CIBC analyst Hamir Patel forecast the initial combined countervailing and anti-dumping duties could reach 45 to 55 percent, he said in an April 23 note. The U.S. may also apply anti-dumping duties if it determines Canadian firms are selling for below costs. That decision is expected in June.

“It definitely could’ve been a heck of a lot worse,” Kevin Mason, managing director of ERA Forest Products Research said by phone from Kelowna, British Columbia. “I think a lot of people were bracing for a higher duty.”
Canada subsidizes their lumber industry allowing them to undercut free market rates. The tariff is a step at both leveling the playing field on timber products (which, if the US government will actually allow harvesting from our National Forests at a meaningful level will lead to an increase in US jobs in the timber industry). It also is a counter to the tariffs the Canadians charge on dairy products imported from the US.

Not to mention that this is another source of tax revenue which can be used to counter the deficit, something both sides profess to be in favor of.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Might be a brilliant idea...we could throw the war...And become losers and refugees and no one would have any reason to hate us any more.

And while the Canadians were celebrating their victory we could probably swipe the whole place. Claim we liberated them from the Texans.
Wait, wait, you'd better think this over a bit more:

New Brunswick RCMP to implement mandatory roadside semen samples under new marijuana legislation | The Manatee

Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
We want fair trade not "free trade"...read...rip us off.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
I see it's time to blame Canada again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
If houses were already expensive...

Trump is commited to kill NAFTA.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...umber-j1wq4tyg
Trump is not committed to kill nafta... he is preparing to negotiate for a better US position.

A reasonable tariff is a reasonable strategy, every country does it. why shouldn't we?

Transportation costs and labor costs and federal regulations have been rising due in part to global economy, unions and 8 years of a war against petro energy. Add to that freebies on the back of taxpayers and sure housing costs are rising.

Regulations killed off the lumber industry in Maine long before trump arrived.

Plenty of downed timber in national forests going to rot.

I'm sure the balance of trade with Canada includes more than softwood and will reach a happy equilibrium. To look at one product and make a case out of it ignores perspective.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Plenty of downed timber in national forests going to rot.

I'm sure the balance of trade with Canada includes more than softwood and will reach a happy equilibrium. To look at one product and make a case out of it ignores perspective.
Nah, the downed timber in the National Forests is NOT rotting out west. It burns every summer!!!

Yep, there is more to balance of trade with Canada than softwood, but that doesn't help when your a logger or mill worker out of work due to Canadian subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies