Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 09:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Unfortunately, that happens with practically every group including doctors, lawyers and politicians. It's a human issue.
I agree that people aren't forthcoming when they are in the wrong. They have a tendency to be defensive and make excuses no matter who they are.

However, I do think that the response to LE is more powerful as when a doctor of lawyer or politician make mistakes or kill people (especially doctors) people are much more apt to villify their actions/decisions and hold them accountable. For police, they can always say "I felt a threat" and get away with murder just because they are LE. No other occupation has the most protection from brutality and murder prosecutions than PDs do nor the support that PDs have. People will automatically believe police accounts "just because" and I think because in black communities nationwide, we have known for over a century that they lie and make up stories, that we are just not as apt to support them like whites do in this country. With the advent of video more Americans IMO are now seeing that what blacks have been saying for over 100 years is the case - that police lie and get away with crimes against society and murder on a rather large scale.

And FWIW I will note that I wish more of these stories of all types of Americans would be broadcast by media of different races and backgrounds. I know of many poor white people who have been harrassed and brutalized by police. Their stories don't get as much attention because other white people IMO don't make them a priority and expect black people to do that for them. The best and quickest way to get reform on these laws that protect police from murder charges is for all Americans to come together, including PDs in order to make needed changes.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not sure why you are upset though they used probably an older pic. Do you want the black male child honors student, athlete to look not like an actual child so you can make excuses for him being murdered by law enforcement....

Odd comment from you:

Jordan Edwards

My son looks similar to this boy -pimply faced, geeky sort of kid like most black boys I know in this age group.
Not upset just pointing it out. When I saw the photo my first thought was that poor kid is 15. I've noticed its pretty common for the media to show victims photos that don't reflect their current likeness.
And no I dont want a victim to look like anything, just what they actually look like. Would they use an old photo if it were a missing child?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Many parents don't post recent pics of their teens online and often the media will grab a Facebook photo.

I don't have any recent photos of my teenage son on social media because I respect his privacy and stopped posting without telling him or getting his permission since he was about 12 years old. So 12-13 would be the most current pics of him on my social media page. He doesn't have any pics of himself on his own social media page (I monitor it).

Why even post a picture of the then? Actually I dont personally feel the media should show pictures or some personal information of victims.

Quote:
But your issue with the photo is really odd IMO. Are you less apt to feel sympathy or empathy for him or his family based on the picture used...?

Or are you trying to provide an excuse for him being killed - that he might have "looked menacing" just because he is a black teenage male?
WTF?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Blue and black lives both matter. All lives really do matter. Someone loves us all.

When cops do wrong they need to pay for it.
I agree completely. I am both pro black and pro blue. Contrary to what many people might think, that is possible. I want nothing more than a healing process between the police and the black community nationwide.

That all said, I hope this cop gets 20 years for murder.

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Funny that the photos are always from 2 or three years prior.
Why is that funny? And how do you know when the photo was taken or who gave it to the media? Some freshmen look like little kids and some look like adults.

2,003 posts, read 1,168,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
During the Obama Administration we had police departments and "higher-ups" telling cops to stand down and not prevent looting and rioting, all for racial and political reasons. So, like I said, I will wait to see the video and more evidence.
And there we have it, you couldn't help but link Obama to this.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Oh, I'm sure they will find something "bad" he did in his tween years to justify what happened.
Yep. They'll make him out to be a Blood, Crip and Al Qaeda member before it's all over.

Like they did to Philando Castile.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Last night you said:
Quote:
At this point, and from exceptionally limited information, it sounds like charges are on the horizon.
Now you are running the tired "we don't know everything that happened"
Quote:
What exactly did he write in his police report? Please add a link to the report.

Let me guess, you have no clue as to what was in his report.

Let me guess, you read something in the news and then believe you know all the facts.

You, "He lied in his police report."

Me, "Have you seen his police report?"

So, what will be your response?
You must know by now that there has been a retraction of the original police position and the officer involved has been placed on administrative leave. It is not correct that we don't know what happened. We very much do know what happened. There were many witnesses. Why do so many here try to defend the indefensible at considerable detriment to their future credibility. What would happen if you admitted without any qualifications that this officer acted improperly??

Quibbling over the age of a photo of a 15 year old... seriously? Was he 12 in the photo? Would you wonder if a photo of a 33 year old was taken three years earlier? Couldn't they find a more recent photo? Tamir Rice WAS 12 when he was killed but he possibly looked 15 to the officer that shot him. The officer who shot Saturday did not know who he was shooting at. It doesn't matter what the victim looked like. It shouldn't matter to any of us what the victim looked like. What should matter is that a child of God was victimized. But we always have to find out what race they were before we can decide whether or not to mourn them. Sad.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-02-2017 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. They'll make him out to be a Blood, Crip and Al Qaeda member before it's all over.

He's black. That means he MUST be a thug. Pretty soon a picture will surface of him wearing a hoodie at some point in his life and that will be all they will need to blame the victim and claim it was a good shoot.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I don't remember that happening to poor Mr. Castile, but perhaps I missed it.

A pretty stupid thing to try to do, criminals don't get issued CCWs.

Is the cop that shot him in prison, yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies