Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Naw, I really don't. Not because I don't have a twisted and filthy sense of humor ... because I do. It's because Colbert crossed the line and lowered his own standards and in doing so went from bringing the funny to just being a dick.
I agree.

Jay Leno has made multiple insults against presidents and celebrities without being crude. That was funny.

Colbert, no.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
Quote:
What's honest about claiming on national TV that our POTUS has Putin's dick in his mouth?

I mean - seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Lol, c'mon you know it's funny. Just admit it.
I know you were not directing your comment to me JK508

I do not find it in the least bit funny.
I do find it to be very sick twisted way of thinking.
In what appears to be coming from someone who is very angry and having a temper tantrum on National TV. Colbert

Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
If he did assault women and the women sued him, I would have no problem in supporting them and him being convicted. Just like against Bill Cosby.

But does not give Colbert the right to make the rant against Trump on public airwaves. On the other hand if you had said the same thing against Trump in a private conversation with me, I would have no problem with that. Nor have one if you said the same against Bill or Hillary privately to me or anyone else.
Colbert has the right to rant on public airways.

If Alex Jones can carry on like a lunatic, if Trump can tweet out baseless accusations of criminal activity, then free speech ought to apply the Colbert joking about Trump giving Putin blow jobs.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Again, we're talking about a man that said he likes to grab women by the *****. A guy that called a woman "ugly both inside and out." A guy that said "if Ivanka weren't my daughter, we'd probably be dating." Yuck.

But the conservative OP is "outraged" by a little late night political satire.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
A couple things.

Trump never claimed that he assaulted women. Read the transcript for specifics.

Regardless, what he said was crude. He's a pig.

So ... people who agree that Trump is a pig and who have called him out for that but then go on national television themselves and make crude homophobic jokes about the very same person they tsk tsked for the very same thing have invalidated their own moral high ground. That's what Colbert did.

Ive read the transcript. I posted a link earlier. When you 'don't even wait'. That's assault.
I wasnt going to post the actual words. But since you want specifics here it is:

Trump: I moved on her, actually. You know, she was down on Palm Beach. I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it.
Unknown: Whoa.
Trump: I did try and **** her. She was married.
Unknown: That’s huge news.
Trump: No, no, Nancy. No, this was [unintelligible] — and I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping.
She wanted to get some furniture. I said, “I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.” I took her out furniture —

I moved on her like a *****. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony **** and everything. She’s totally changed her look.
Billy Bush: Sheesh, your girl’s hot as ****. In the purple.
Trump: Whoa! Whoa!
Bush: Yes! The Donald has scored. Whoa, my man!
[Crosstalk]
Trump: Look at you, you are a *****.
[Crosstalk]
Trump: All right, you and I will walk out.
[Silence]
Trump: Maybe it’s a different one.
Bush: It better not be the publicist. No, it’s, it’s her, it’s —
Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.
Bush: Whatever you want.
Trump: Grab ’em by the *****. You can do anything.
Bush: Uh, yeah, those legs, all I can see is the legs.
Trump: Oh, it looks good.
Bush: Come on shorty.
Trump: Ooh, nice legs, huh?
Bush: Oof, get out of the way, honey. Oh, that’s good legs. Go ahead.
Trump: It’s always good if you don’t fall out of the bus. Like Ford, Gerald Ford, remember?
Bush: Down below, pull the handle.
Trump: Hello, how are you? Hi!
Arianne Zucker: Hi, Mr. Trump. How are you? Pleasure to meet you.
Trump: Nice seeing you. Terrific, terrific. You know Billy Bush?
Bush: Hello, nice to see you. How you doing, Arianne?
Zucker: Doing very well, thank you. Are you ready to be a soap star?

Quote:
The problem is that he said it on the air, on public airways.

There are enough people who have heard both Bill and Hillary Clinton use vulgar four letter words against other people. But those were in private conversation and I would not hold it against them even if videos of it surfaced. But if they said it on a public ratio or television that is unacceptable.

Sometimes people are so blinded by partisanship that they fail to differentiate between public decency and private trash talk.

You haven't answered my question.
How is talking like this in private better than talking like this on air?

Please explain.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:03 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Yeah..he will "do it again", as long as the dope smoking writers create it and put it on cue cards for lil' Steevie to repeat back. Colbert is a useful idiot for the left. His mouth is a c*ck holster to the advertisers

Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Colbert has the right to rant on public airways.

If Alex Jones can carry on like a lunatic, if Trump can tweet out baseless accusations of criminal activity, then free speech ought to apply the Colbert joking about Trump giving Putin blow jobs.
It's not an issue of free speech. That's between Colbert and his employer.

It's about defining the line of good taste, showing better standards than the individual that you are so critical of, and not succumbing to homophobic takes to make people laugh in a time when people lose their jobs for doing that very thing.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Colbert is a useful idiot for the left.
And Sean Hannity is......?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ive read the transcript. I posted a link earlier. When you 'don't even wait'. That's assault.
I wasnt going to post the actual words. But since you want specifics here it is:

Trump: I moved on her, actually. You know, she was down on Palm Beach. I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it.
Unknown: Whoa.
Trump: I did try and **** her. She was married.
Unknown: That’s huge news.
Trump: No, no, Nancy. No, this was [unintelligible] — and I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping.
She wanted to get some furniture. I said, “I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.” I took her out furniture —

I moved on her like a *****. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony **** and everything. She’s totally changed her look.
Billy Bush: Sheesh, your girl’s hot as ****. In the purple.
Trump: Whoa! Whoa!
Bush: Yes! The Donald has scored. Whoa, my man!
[Crosstalk]
Trump: Look at you, you are a *****.
[Crosstalk]
Trump: All right, you and I will walk out.
[Silence]
Trump: Maybe it’s a different one.
Bush: It better not be the publicist. No, it’s, it’s her, it’s —
Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.
Bush: Whatever you want.
Trump: Grab ’em by the *****. You can do anything.
Bush: Uh, yeah, those legs, all I can see is the legs.
Trump: Oh, it looks good.
Bush: Come on shorty.
Trump: Ooh, nice legs, huh?
Bush: Oof, get out of the way, honey. Oh, that’s good legs. Go ahead.
Trump: It’s always good if you don’t fall out of the bus. Like Ford, Gerald Ford, remember?
Bush: Down below, pull the handle.
Trump: Hello, how are you? Hi!
Arianne Zucker: Hi, Mr. Trump. How are you? Pleasure to meet you.
Trump: Nice seeing you. Terrific, terrific. You know Billy Bush?
Bush: Hello, nice to see you. How you doing, Arianne?
Zucker: Doing very well, thank you. Are you ready to be a soap star?

You haven't answered my question.
How is talking like this in private better than talking like this on air?

Please explain.
There is no claim of assault in that transcript. There's an egomaniac discussing how fame has allowed him to behave crudely around women who are attracted to his fame.

If you take exception to Trump's sexual blustering, but think Colbert talking about blow jokes ON THE AIR is ok, you have some hypocritical standards. *shrug*

Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:

But does not give Colbert the right to make the rant against Trump on public airwaves.

Actually ,it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies