Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 03:10 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Colbert = freedom of speech, but Ann Coulter = hate speech and needs to be banned from all college campuses.
You might have noticed that Coulter is perfectly free to talk on every channel that wishes to carry her. I think it's really bloody stupid and thin-skinned to protest her mere presence, but universities are no more obliged to provide her a lectern than I am obliged to let her in my house so she can lecture me in person.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He told John Dickerson "I love your show, I call it Deface the Nation".

It does not get any more direct than that.

I'm not the dangerous one, the one (Trump), who wants to cancel free speech is the dangerous one.
The only people cancelling free speech are the liberal bullies on college campuses.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:11 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No -- i think you are misconstruing things.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech.

Right to protest someone is freedom of speech and if that person is shut out because the protest worked -- that's freedom of speech (kind of like a free market).
Seriously? Are you ignorant of what happened on these campuses? You go on about freedom of speech, but then forget that you can not infringe on someones right to move and speak themselves? If you block me on public property, you violate my liberty. If you block me from speaking at a public place, you violate my liberty. If you threaten me with violence, you violate my liberty. You do understand how liberty works right?

Quote:
So conservatives here's the thing -- you have every right to protest Colbert -- do what makes you happy to try and shut him down -- you have that right.
You mean like block him and his guests from entering the studios? How about threatening him with violence if he decides to go on air? That kind of thing that you people do? That "right" or is your rights more right than ours?

Quote:
And when you protest and he gets fired......you exercised your freedom of speech to shut out someone -- like they did at Berkley.
They BLOCKED her, they THREATENED VIOLENCE AND DESTRUCTION!!!!! Seriously, are you even on the same page here? This is what we mean when you guys are so out there and hypocritical in your positions. You have two sets of measures for actions, ones for you folks and ones for us. You people block people form speaking, moving, threaten or act on violence on someone, burn down buildings and cars, riot, etc... and its just "freedom of speech", but if we were to do that, you would be shooting us in the streets.

Quote:
That's how it works. It isn't that folks think Colbert can say what he wants and Colter can't. They both can say what they want and folks are free to protest either one and then we live with the consequences.
The fact that you can sit there and make this argument in the face of the facts shows you to be incapable of making an honest or sane argument.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
This is Orwellian. So bullying and intimidation and underhanded tactics to silent the right is OK and is covered under the banner of free speech. It's one thing to protest a speaker outside the event but to actively engage in the list above to prevent the speaker from speaking in the first place is fascist-like. So then if a bunch of Trump supporters prevent Colbert from speaking his next monologue with threats, intimidation and all shady methods, then it is ok for you? Because that is what happened to Coulter, Milo and Ben Shapiro.

This is madness. You people are seriously deranged. I am sorry but this isn't fun or funny anymore. You people are beyond bonkers. You're so far gone in your ideology that you cannot even see how outlandish most of what you said is.
It is... it is nuts, crazy and it is why as I have said in the past they will be able to justify killing us in the streets all the while claiming how peaceful and respectful they are.

Sanity has left the building.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Of course it's ends justifies the means. How else do explain how liberals can live with this contradiction:

Colbert = freedom of speech, but Ann Coulter = hate speech and needs to be banned from all college campuses.

"All speech is free - but some speech is MORE free than others."
I think you'll find plenty of liberals that wanted her to speak. I am one of them - and there are plenty that agree (go check out the SF-Oakland thread if you'd like to see how regular folks in the Bay Area feel).

I would love there to be a peaceful (but spirited) debate at Berkeley.

The insanely small percentage of people protesting/rioting in Berkeley are not representative of liberals, or everyone in Berkeley/the Bay Area (just as the dangerous (and sometimes disgusting) idiots in the alt-right movement are not representative of the people on the Conservative side of the aisle).

Although, if we want to get technical, UC Berkeley is under no obligation to provide her a platform to speak. I think they should (for the reasons above), and it is a bad look for the University - but it's not a violation of her rights as she still has them (she is welcome to speak at another institution or is welcome to go on the street and speak). Or, as stated here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You might have noticed that Coulter is perfectly free to talk on every channel that wishes to carry her. I think it's really bloody stupid and thin-skinned to protest her mere presence, but universities are no more obliged to provide her a lectern than I am obliged to let her in my house so she can lecture me in person.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Devious post you did there.

Look people, this is how progressives operate. The poster knew I was right, but... because they are neck deep in their idealogy, because the END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, they will lie and manipulate to promote thier point because at the end of the day, anything is acceptable for them.

So, instead of responding to my actual points:

They chop up my sentence as the following:

So they can push a different summary in their response.

They have no shame, no honor, no integrity. Lying is acceptable, the end justifies the means and so the result was to avoid answering to the fact that there was no mainstream attacks of such a nature on Obama, that their claim was that of back alley Internet attacks and not comparable to that of a mainstream entertainer such as Colbert attacking.

Though that would conflict with their narrative, so they must lie, twist, cheat, to push it.. you know.. because they are ultimately right!

This is how we end up on our knees with guns to the back of our heads while the crowds cheer on.

The End Justifies the Means for them.
Awww, poor thing. It's pretty simple: You claimed any criticism of Obama was deemed racist. That's of course an obvious lie, although it's a treasured one in the victimization narrative you depend upon. I pointed out that quite a bit of the criticism directed at Obama was, in fact, racist. You agreed.

I have no idea where the juxtaposition of Colbert's attack with racist attacks comes from.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Quote:
She secured all the permits and was invited to speak by a group there at Berkeley. As were other conservative speakers on campuses across the country who were bullied and intimidated not to come or had their speeches disrupted. They were all invited on campus to give a talk to said group who invited them. The liberal blackshirts on campus halted people from exercising their first amendment rights and listening to a person of their own choice.

That is not free speech, that is suppression of free speech.

Even the ACLU disagree with you.

Quote:
“The unacceptable threats of violence that have led to the ‘hecklers’ veto’ of Ann Coulter’s speech at Berkeley are inconsistent with free speech principles that protect us all from government overreach. Hateful speech has consequences, particularly for people of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants, and others who have been historically marginalized. But if the government gets to decide which speech counts as hate speech, the powers that be may later feel free to censor any speech they don’t like.
https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-state...coulter-speech

You people are B O N K E R S!

Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He told John Dickerson "I love your show, I call it Deface the Nation".

It does not get any more direct than that.

I'm not the dangerous one, the one (Trump), who wants to cancel free speech is the dangerous one.
LOL

So he makes a quip and that justifies the rant Colbert did?

Insanity, pure insanity.

You people have to lie, twist and manipulate to even think you have a point.

As for Trump canceling free speech, where is your evidence of that?

So far, I only see people like you and their supporters blocking free speech, attacking, beating, harming, and infringing on liberties over political positions.

You people are projecting your own selves on us.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
I don't get it, so Trump likes to throw barbs? Is that the same as the media becoming activists accusing him of being akin to a Nazi and his supporters being total racists because they do not follow the media narrative? SNL sketches saying he hates black people, painting his supporters as literal KKK and Nazis, making it seem as though the world is officially going to end? Giving people the impression that they must stand up and resist this new tyranny. That somehow equals to a few barbs and Trump's immature bantering?

Liberals in the media parrot Hands up, don't shoot, and get mad when they're called fake news. Get over yourselves.
You mean like fox has done for a good 15 or more years???

Fox keeps just the right side of it, but grind away at left endlessly. learn your history and you will see why fox was created the way it is and who wanted it.... all those 'think tanks" did not come out of thin air..

Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Awww, poor thing. It's pretty simple: You claimed any criticism of Obama was deemed racist. That's of course an obvious lie, although it's a treasured one in the victimization narrative you depend upon. I pointed out that quite a bit of the criticism directed at Obama was, in fact, racist. You agreed.

I have no idea where the juxtaposition of Colbert's attack with racist attacks comes from.
I did not state that.

More lies people... see how they must continue the lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies