Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times

Advertisements

Colbert's prime audience aren't Trumpers. Most have been too old to watch up to watch late night tv since Johnny retired.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Seriously? Are you ignorant of what happened on these campuses? You go on about freedom of speech, but then forget that you can not infringe on someones right to move and speak themselves? If you block me on public property, you violate my liberty. If you block me from speaking at a public place, you violate my liberty. If you threaten me with violence, you violate my liberty. You do understand how liberty works right?

You mean like block him and his guests from entering the studios? How about threatening him with violence if he decides to go on air? That kind of thing that you people do? That "right" or is your rights more right than ours?

They BLOCKED her, they THREATENED VIOLENCE AND DESTRUCTION!!!!! Seriously, are you even on the same page here? This is what we mean when you guys are so out there and hypocritical in your positions. You have two sets of measures for actions, ones for you folks and ones for us. You people block people form speaking, moving, threaten or act on violence on someone, burn down buildings and cars, riot, etc... and its just "freedom of speech", but if we were to do that, you would be shooting us in the streets.

The fact that you can sit there and make this argument in the face of the facts shows you to be incapable of making an honest or sane argument.
WHOAAAAA -- i don't advocate violently protesting. I am only commenting on Ann Coulter because I saw her talk about the whole incident. She didn't seem to think there was any safety concern.....She felt that the police had that taken care of. She implied that it was just an excuse to cancel.

So of course I don't advocate violence.

But i don't care if Ann Coulter speaks and I don't care if Colbert says a bad joke....(it was over the top).......dosn't matter.

Not ALL Liberals believe in violent protest. And folks are speaking out everywhere that Ann Coulter should be able to say what she wants --even on that .....sit down...liberal THE VIEW. Joh Behar, Woopie Goldberg both told Ann this would and their audience they think she should be allowed ot talk. (Ann was on with them and it was good -- funny, good bantering back and forth -- sure a serious topic but everyone smiling.....getting their point across -- not ranting and raving).

Free speech is for all not just for Stephen Colbert and not just for Ann Coulter.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:29 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Far beyond having fun with the prez's foibles and lampooning. This is a direct product of the clinton dems fear mongering campaign boiling over into all out hate and character assassination.

This is going too far and has prompted violence fear and hate. No longer is there a free press or simply biased media. This is an all out campaign of hate and fear on the same page as as rev wright. This stuff is damaging our country.

Imagine if an entertainer ever said anything even close to that hate filled emotioal rant by SC, the FBI would be on his doorstep, if it were during obama's administration or even after. SC would be just a memory, black listed by sponsors and and media directors and hollywood.

If SC is still on the air it validates the media is an official propaganda machine.
To hell with free speech, opinions and satire.
Exactly how Nazi Germany began.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:31 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
And the mainstream media never went after FOX either? Fox was a response to all the liberal bias and all the flack conservatives get from the mainstream media outlets. Conservative think tanks and funded in the same manner as liberal think tanks, by donors who subscribe to their core values. Don't act as though Brookings is totally impartial.
again most attempts to change history.

the media was 100% center, balanced and fair. BUT a group of rich powerful people felt center was "left" because is was left of them, they decided to shift the nation to the right.

and we know this is true because they started this BEFORE the internet and carelessly left a paper trail that fully states all of this. Not just the famous "memo" but many documents they never worried about there was no fast easy public access like we have today.

Remember this was all about moving the west to the right, Murdoch was just one small player late to the game compared to the endless think thanks, and various bodies. Hell we even have the heritage girl scouts designed to get them young and keep them religious.

education is of course the enemy of religion, the hard right and the extreme hard left. it always has been. that is why 3rd level ed tends to left leaning.
but 2nd level education in the USA is a right wing dream. Students are indoctrinated early and often, the entire k-12 is wrapped in flags. Children are taught very early to view the world as winner takes all and to hell with the losers. Schools even elect kings and queens, the jocks rule and academia mocked. Teachers do this without even knowing.

the whole nonsense of the Right wing propaganda machine being a reaction to the left is simply balls, and used as cover. "liberal media" "MSM" "fair and balanced" were all phrases created in committee surely you must know this?.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
again most attempts to change history.

the media was 100% center, balanced and fair. BUT a group of rich powerful people felt center was "left" because is was left of them, they decided to shift the nation to the right.

and we know this is true because they started this BEFORE the internet and carelessly left a paper trail that fully states all of this. Not just the famous "memo" but many documents they never worried about there was no fast easy public access like we have today.

Remember this was all about moving the west to the right, Murdoch was just one small player late to the game compared to the endless think thanks, and various bodies. Hell we even have the heritage girl scouts designed to get them young and keep them religious.

education is of course the enemy of religion, the hard right and the extreme hard left. it always has been. that is why 3rd level ed tends to left leaning.
but 2nd level education in the USA is a right wing dream. Students are indoctrinated early and often, the entire k-12 is wrapped in flags. Children are taught very early to view the world as winner takes all and to hell with the losers. Schools even elect kings and queens, the jocks rule and academia mocked. Teachers do this without even knowing.

the whole nonsense of the Right wing propaganda machine being a reaction to the left is simply balls, and used as cover. "liberal media" "MSM" "fair and balanced" were all phrases created in committee surely you must know this?.
Where in the hell are you getting your information from? Care to post some links or are you just going to rave like a madman on here?

Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
i think you guys are steaming mad nobody likes your Hero. I think the TRUMPERs should buy some TV stations, and make some shows.

But most of all I think the alt white and Trumpers can dish it, but not take it. Between trump and the white supremacists kleenex is the stock to buy.
3rd post in and I saw no justification for this ridiculous rant. Why are so many liberals mentally off?

Old 05-03-2017, 04:48 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
You actually found the Sex Junk rap to have been well done?
Had to Google that. I do not thank you. (Although some of the pearl-clutching over-the-top reactions were sorta chuckleworthy. I mean, it was bad - but people acted like it was the end of the Republic.)

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 05-03-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What about Seth Meyers?

John Oliver has some good rants.

I find that all these people have a good point now and again....but it's all too much to watch all the time.

Bill Maher made a really interesting point on Earth Day Week End that we are spending billions (or planning to) on research to go to Mars where there is no air and water is almost impossible to find...when we have a lovely planet right here with both air and water. Why not just stay put and make sure that air and water stay in a condition that works for us. Why spend money trying to figure out how to have air in Mars? I'm all about science and know the moon stuff and NASA created jobs, inventions, etc....but at a time when we are all moaning about taxes....that's a good point.

Can we just spend money to send Trump to Mars instead and then take his most extreme supporters with him? Everyone would be happy then He gets praise and doesn't have to worry about us critics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
So if what Colbert said is considered "viciously attacking" Trump....What do you call it when Trump said these things?:

“Rosie O’Donnell’s is a disgusting slob with an ugly face. She's a disgusting person. I mean, both inside and out. You take a look at her, she’s a slob.” - Donald J. Trump, December 2006.

"Arianna Huffington is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man- he made a good decision." - Donald J. Trump, August 28, 2012.

Not to mention how classy Trump is:

"I like to grab 'em by the *****" - Donald J Trump

"If Ivanka wasn't my daughter, I'd probably be dating her." Donald J. Trump

Yuck!

Apparently excusable. Calling a spade a spade is not attacking although I personally don't like Rosie O Donnell.

Quote:
I don't think you guys are quite getting it yet. Many, many people are tired of being told what to think, what to say and what to watch, listen to, or read by beta-douche people such as Moshe Kasher, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Trevor Noah, Jordan Klepper, etc ,etc ,etc. They have an infinite amount of resources to spew their rhetoric, why can't people just have Trump?

You can insult him a million times, you can convince yourselves that a bold television smack-down conducted by one of the many cucks on TV was enough to convince the public and have it plastered all over the Daily Beast that Trump was "crushed", "destroyed", or whatnot, but it won't change a thing.

Can't you get it through your thick skulls that there is a sizable portion of the population hate these smug liberals? A huge sizable chunk of the public hate this whiny preachy liberalism? They hate it worse than the righteous zealous Christian fundamentalist right wing.

They would rather listen to Jimmy Swaggart over Hassan Minhaj bombing at the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Stop pretending as though liberals have the whole country.
It is telling people what to think in the sense that you tell your kids to report bullies or leave an abusive relationship. If you want to worship a beyond awful man that is your choice but do you honestly like standing by his side? Does it make you proud to be loyal to a man who has done/said so many awful things? Every one of us who criticizes him is trying desperately to get you to see the light but you know what you're right. We can't tell you what to do. As the saying goes "you can't fix stupid". Just remember at some point if he screws you over too, we tried to warn you. We tried to warn you this entire time but maybe you don't care. Maybe you don't care because you would do the exact same thing. You would screw people over just like he did. It would certainly explain a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Show me a comedian that made these insults to Obama or Hillary...I'll wait.
You're going to be waiting a long time because I already linked some videos making fun of them in another reply.
As to Obama there is also the White House dinner every year but of course the jokes aren't going to be the same. Hilary and Obama are not even at the same level as Trump. No politician isn't. Apparently even Nixon wasn't even that bad.

Quote:
They would have done this to Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and even Mitt Romney had he won over Obama last election too.

It doesn't matter. They think anything Republicans or conservatives do is anti-science, racist, sexist, and all in favor of rich people. That is the left's entire schtick. That is the mainstream media's entire premise.

And they're the ones flipping their wigs over Trump's win. They still haven't gotten over it.

They think of themselves as part of a "resistance" movement. I mean they're laughable.
They've already made fun of Romney with a bit of Ted Cruz mixed in and the jokes tend to be more lighthearted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He's paid to say what he says and if he's as far gone as I believe he is, he's lost. And look at Bill Nye, he's serving the same people and he's gone completely off the rails. So YOU people who mindlessly sit there and watch these cretins, you who have your every thought and belief handed to you and you don't dare question any of it, how can you criticize anybody else for what they believe.
He's paid to say what he feels. If he thought something different he would be a different kind of host. Not everyone is Trump and tells people what they think they want to hear.

I question everyday because I don't believe a word Trump says. If anything I question things too much. I am a chronic over thinker. Personally I don't need someone to tell me to dislike Trump. He does a great job of doing that all on his own so I guess he's awesome at something: awesome at being scum. Also as I said a long while ago I had a bad vibe about him even before I knew who he was. It took only a few seconds for my subconscious to go "eh I don't want to pay attention to him"
The only thing late night comedians do besides entertain is process what I've already felt. They are more articulate than I.

Quote:
Ridiculous, liberal banter about Obama were love taps in comparison to the barrage of insults Republicans get. From Reagan to Bush Jr to Trump, they were all in some way or another crypto-fascists, Nazis, Christian Taliban and you guys were always the popular front against fascism.

If anything liberals in the media are painting this administration as though it's literally the second coming of Hitler. Don't ya think the hyperbole is a bit strong?
I didn't see that. I'm sure there were always bad apples but it's no big deal. I loved Bush as a person (I wasn't into politics before Trump) and he took criticism and humor very well. He knew how to laugh at himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did CBS call Trump Hitler and his supporters Nazis before he called CBS "Fake News" and “Deface the Nation”? Can you quote that?

Trump needs to grow up. A lot.

Trump us working hard to silence the media, which is a big concern to the supporters of the 1st Amendment.
The thing is it doesn't really matter who insulted who first. The important part is Trump has always been a bad person. Way before he even campaigned, he's screwed countless people out of a big wad of cash and he has an awful mouth. That has never changed. Apparently he was even like that as a child. He wasn't quite as bad as now but he was said to be a very defiant child.
What's worse don't forget the fact he has had rape accusations. If you had a daughter could you trust her to be around him? Especially if him and Melania split up and she took custody of Barron. The guy's a creeper and if you can't see that there is something wrong with you.

Quote:
Colbert isn't news, he is a comedian, nothing more.
Maybe so but he doesn't just pull those jokes out of thin air. He has real material to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Had to Google that. I do not thank you. (Although some of the pearl-clutching over-the-top reactions were sorta chuckleworthy. I mean, it was bad - but people acted like it was the end of the Republic.)
I didn't watch it. I love American Pie series so I am very open minded. On the other hand I have enjoyed watching Pokemon as well.
I don't think I'd be interested in that myself just because it's Bill Nye. I'd rather see Bill Nye as the science guy since I grew up watching him. I mean I know he's a person too but it's kinda like watching your teacher go on a stripper pole. That's just me though. Other people might like it and that's their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
She wasn't wrong... There is a difference between insults for comedic purposes from a comedian- that's kind of their shtick- and just plain stating an uncomfortable truth. Clinton received a lot of criticism for that comment, but it was the most honest, truthful thing anyone on either side said during the entire campaign. Let's face facts here, a nation that had slavery for a few centuries, segregation for another, genocide against the native people, widespread discrimination against immigrants, gays, non-Christians, racial minorities, etc. is just going to have a lot of deplorable people. Not that the US is unique in that regard, but sometimes Americans act like their crap doesn't stink. The outrage over that comment seemed to largely come from the very people it applied to. Not surprising.
I think her only mistake was not explaining herself but would they listen? It took guts for her to say it because she probly knew she would get criticism but she didn't care because she believed in standing by what she said. This country has a terrible past and many people still live in that past. Other countries may have that problem too as you said but we act like we are better somehow. We have made lots of progress but it needs work because we can't get people to see that the way they treat other people is wrong.

Last edited by Nickchick; 05-03-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Snowflakes everywhere
And, trump is the biggest, softest one around.

Every other president had a sense of humor. Every other president in my life time was able to laugh at comics who impersonated them.

But, no one can say A WORD about the born with a Silver-Spoon-in-his-mouth whiner we, rather unfortunately, have now.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
You don't recall the Berkley riots or the numerous attacks on conservatives on campuses? Really?
I don't recall being there, or doing any of the things you are trying to associate me with.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-03-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies