Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 01:40 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There's been many a time I have wondered. Apparently there was speculation about Reagan years ago and later it was found he had Alzheimers.
I read a book once that stated that in 1987 White House Chief of Staff Howard Baker and Secretary of State George Schultz became "seriously concerned" about Reagan's mental state and discussed invoking the 25th Amendment only for Schultz to back out of asking the rest of the cabinet.

I think that - as much as I admire Reagan - the signs were there when he was in the White House, they may have been subtle most of the time but I think that the Alzheimer's was present towards the end of his second term. I think what saved the day is that Reagan had such a top notch Cabinet and senior executive staff ... unlike Trump who's senior staff is divided into camps seeking to use him for their own agenda (ie: "Javanka" vs Bannon and the White Nationalists).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's funny, but most of the people that use his interviews and behavior as examples of his mental state are usually folks that have limited experience with New Yorkers. During the campaign, when friends spoke of specific examples, I just looked at it as him being a New Yorker. Brash, opinionated, rambling, aggressive, and egotistical. Something that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. But hardly makes him nuts.
I know way too many New Yorkers to think that what you just said there is a genuine factor.

Most of the New Yorkers I know have always hated him. He's not exactly an "insider" with most of the New Yorkers who run in moneyed circles.

A person can be from New York and still not behave as though he/she is mentally challenged.

He's pretty much the first New Yorker I've ever spent much time watching or listening to who seems this odd.

If he was only brash and opinionated... or even aggressive and egotistical, I would just think he was the Donald Trump I recalled from years ago on TV.

He is not that guy.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
It is a difficult question. Of course, private citizens, like myself, have expressed some concern about his mental status for quite a while. I mean, I thought his obsession concerning Obama's birth certificate was odd, but since he was a private citizen, of no concern to me.

I will say that I enjoyed Mr. Trump's reality show, The Apprentice, particularly the first two seasons, when the contestants were all unknowns striving to work for the Trump organization. I enjoyed the boardroom sessions, for Mr. Trump would frequently bring up a rationale for 'firing' a person that I would never have thought of; yet, thinking on it afterwards, I would conclude that he was very much right. I guess he was in his late 50s at the time, and he appeared sharp.

Yet, as the seasons passed, he became a mere shell of his former self, with his 'interrogations' of the celebrities (as the show became) being merely "And what do you think?" He began to heavily rely upon his sons and daughters to ask the more penetrating questions. Of course, he could have simply been bored with the whole show by then. His reasons for 'firing' some celebrity often seemed ridiculous or haphazard.

Anyway, the question I am interested in is this: have any Senate, House or Cabinet members discussed President Trump among themselves? It is their opinions that 'count' in this matter.

Of course, to date, I do not believe that any such person has publicly discussed Mr. Trump's emotional status (if any Presidential candidate did during the campaign, I discount that, as probably part of politics).

Now, I am willing to speculate that some have, but that it all it is, speculation. Yet, somebody (again, high levels of government) must have quietly bought up the subject to others, out of concern that our adversaries may be thinking that the United States may be taken advantage of, given our President's 'inconsistencies', to put it mildly.

It was in the news the other day that some members of the Senate (Intelligence committee) travelled to the CIA headquarters in Langley. For those that did not see this:

Senate intel panel to CIA for briefing on Russia probe - CNNPolitics.com

Now, ostensibly, the purpose was for said Senators to be briefed on the Russian/Election connection. Perhaps. But it crossed my mind that the meeting may have had another purpose: a totally secure place to discuss President's Trump mental status.

It is my opinion that if any members of Congress, or the Cabinet, end up publicly speaking of the President's mental capacity (especially if Republican), then that will mean that the process for invoking the 25th amendment is in the works. Until such time, all will stay mum, for obvious reasons.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:45 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
I just checked my watch ... now seems about as good a time as any.
I second that.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'll have to go look at some of her recent interviews. She's not anyone I get to vote for, so I really have not been watching her closely. Interesting.
I'm admittedly a news junkie so even though I'd never have the opportunity to vote for her I do see a lot of her speaking. I just looked for some youtube videos but to be honest they are all posted by hard right leaning sources. Definitely worth checking out any source you feel would be reputable to come to your own conclusions though.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm admittedly a news junkie so even though I'd never have the opportunity to vote for her I do see a lot of her speaking. I just looked for some youtube videos but to be honest they are all posted by hard right leaning sources. Definitely worth checking out any source you feel would be reputable to come to your own conclusions though.
Yeah... her speech patterns have changed a bit. I wonder if she's got something neurological going? I think as long as she holds it mostly together, she's fine where she is in the House, but it would be foolish for her to run for higher office.

I think we should have an upper limit for POTUS at first term. I'd say around 65 for first term should be agreeable.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:11 PM

953 posts, read 842,610 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if he was ever actually examined.
His unequalled vanity, combined with total denial that anything could possibly be wrong with Mr. Perfect, prevents him from undergoing a complete examination. The doctor who provided that truly ridiculous assessment might be even nuttier than DT.

As he continues his downward spiral, a decision may come within the next 12-18 months in which he faces the cameras to state something along these lines: I have made America great - really great, nobody could have made it greater, just look around and see the greatness everywhere. And remember it came from me - no one else but me. I do things in a huge, bigly way ... so big ...

All of my goals - those that many said were impossible to get done, are now checked off in the done column. They're done, really done ... and my work, so great, so big ... is done here. With nothing left to do ... amazing, isn't it, I have decided to return to my fabulous, really fabulous life. As I prepare to turn things over to my loyal vice-president, remember that you were witnesses to the most incredible White House team ever ... really, ever. Would I ever lie or exaggerate to you?

After Mike Pence has finished my first term and the following four years, I urge you all to support in 2024 the next president and vice-president of the United States ... Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway. Of course, they will not be able to make America as amazingly great as I did, but it will still be pretty darn great.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:14 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
He is showing clear signs of dementia.

Not sure whether he is laying the ground work for some future incompetence plea or is losing it, but something's not right.
IMHO, to me anyway that is why Ivanka is there with him.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:18 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,553 times
Quote:
Interesting read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.429a68970dab

When is it okay?

At what point do we acknowledge that this is possible, given the evidence?

I can't remember another time in history when we felt the need to say a President was nuts, up until now. We called them a lot of things, but their sanity was never in question. But Trump is certifiable.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Liberals have referred to every Republican president as nuts since Teddy Roosevelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies