Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think they will pass it. I think Trump has said he doesn't care what is in it, he wants a win. And this is Trump's show all the way. I think they will pass it and Trump will own the result. When people get the cost increases, when people lose their coverage, it's all on Trump.

Now apparently - get this - the $8 Billion they added for those with pre-existing conditions - are for those states that apply for a waiver not to cover them. Get that? If a state applies for a waiver, the sickest fight over the $8 Billion - that is shared among those states not covering pre-existing conditions. There are 33 Republican governors and odds are, they will all apply for the waiver. There may be a few Democratic states that apply for the waiver too, so that pool of $8 Billion gets shared more and more widely until there's not much left.

Then there's the Medicaid which they want to take back to federalist principles. Does that mean block grants? Should be interesting there too. Does a state get to use the block grant as they see fit? Can a state use their block grant to say...plug a budget hole? Who loses coverage if the state is Kansas and they have a huge budget hole due to massive tax cuts?

The CBO hasn't scored it and odds are, they will pass this THEN find out the CBO score. And even if the CBO says this will costs us trillions more will millions losing coverage, Trump will call it a win. And so will Republicans.
The Medicaid block grant approach has been a disaster in Puerto Rico and the other territories. In fact, it's a big factor behind Puerto Rico's current debt crisis since the territorial government has to make up the shortfall. Remember, territories typically only get 1/2 to 2/3 (it varies by territory for a variety of reasons) of the Medicaid funding that states get.

The easiest to the whole solution - whether it's providing coverage for those with pre-existing conditions or providing Puerto Rico with a fair amount of healthcare funding - is to adopt an optional Medicare for All system. We have no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Do you mean you will be happy to see our costs go up 3-5 times? From what you said, it sounds like you want seniors to be hurt by this. If that's what you mean, why do you say that?

I don't think it will pass the house. I just wish they would get the message that most people do not want this. People want Obamacare FIXED, not killed.

Older people will really suffer. They don't have enough years left to stash money away into health savings accounts and they can't risk going without insurance because they can't afford to have it. The older seniors on Medicare who are low income will also lose the extra help they're getting.

If this nightmare of a bill passes, it's a death sentence for a lot of people and for those who live, it will mean great suffering and financial hardship for many.
I am torn between not wanting seniors to suffer and knowing that a lot of seniors voted for Trump. I don't receive subsidies. My plan was deemed "Cadillac" and was scaled back with Obamacare. I didn't care because I wanted everyone to have healthcare. I am a true believer.

But when the true believer cares more than the person who will actually see the cost increase, it becomes exhausting. Why are we supposed to care more than they do when they are the ones that will pay the most? At some point, the true believer wants to say to the Trump supporter "I told you so".

Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Say this does pass the House tomorrow, which now looks likely. Can anyone see the bill in its current form attracting the votes of 50 senators + Mike Pence?
I would hope that the ones that are up for reelection wouldn't vote for it, but who knows.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
If it gets through the House it will not get through the Senate.

There are not 50 votes in the Senate.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Medicaid block grant approach has been a disaster in Puerto Rico and the other territories. In fact, it's a big factor behind Puerto Rico's current debt crisis since the territorial government has to make up the shortfall. Remember, territories typically only get 1/2 to 2/3 (it varies by territory for a variety of reasons) of the Medicaid funding that states get.

The easiest to the whole solution - whether it's providing coverage for those with pre-existing conditions or providing Puerto Rico with a fair amount of healthcare funding - is to adopt an optional Medicare for All system. We have no choice.
Medicare for All was what Nancy Pelosi suggested from the get go. So of course that won't happen because Trump. A lot of greedy Republican governors will be all about a block grant. Imagine Brownback with his budget mess seeing millions dangled in front of him. He'd take the money, plug the budget holes and tell his voters it was Obama's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If it gets through the House it will not get through the Senate.

There are not 50 votes in the Senate.
I think they have a window of time where they could pass it with 51 votes using some arcane rule. I think that's what Trump is counting on.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
The republicans won't be doing town halls anymore.
EVER. Because anyone whose relative dies and can point to this will show up. And a lot of red states have a lot of guns.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Ryan bought a few votes by promising an additional $8 billion for high risk pools over the next 10 years,
That is nothing, conservative estimates are that the high risk pools will need an additional $100-200 billion over the next 10 years.
High risk pools are notoriously underfunded with surgeries and treatments delayed when they reach their annual budget limits.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ryan bought a few votes by promising an additional $8 billion for high risk pools over the next 10 years,
That is nothing, conservative estimates are that the high risk pools will need an additional $100-200 billion over the next 10 years.
High risk pools are notoriously underfunded with surgeries and treatments delayed when they reach their annual budget limits.
And only states that get waivers get access to the high risk pool money which means they will be all the more motivated to get waivers and fight over that money.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I am torn between not wanting seniors to suffer and knowing that a lot of seniors voted for Trump. I don't receive subsidies. My plan was deemed "Cadillac" and was scaled back with Obamacare. I didn't care because I wanted everyone to have healthcare. I am a true believer.

But when the true believer cares more than the person who will actually see the cost increase, it becomes exhausting. Why are we supposed to care more than they do when they are the ones that will pay the most? At some point, the true believer wants to say to the Trump supporter "I told you so".
Seniors are already suffering under Obamacare. My 62 year old dad can't retire until he can draw Medicare bc of the stupid high prices on the exchange. The people between 60-65 are hurting the most as they are getting too old and sick to work yet can't afford Obamacare. That's why I've said to legalize and tax marijuana to subsidize healthcare for this group.

Most liberals support a gas tax, which affects people who drive the most, meaning they pay the most tax towards infrastructure investments. The same arguement can be made for healthcare, those who use it the most will pay more for it. Most people are covered through work, the poor through Medicaid and the old through Medicare.

No party has the perfect answer on healthcare, if they did Obamacare wouldn't need saving. It succeeded in lowering uninsured and preexisting conditions, it failed at getting enough healthy people to offset the cost of the sick therefore is bankrupt.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
EVER. Because anyone whose relative dies and can point to this will show up. And a lot of red states have a lot of guns.
It's quite possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies