Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Seniors are already suffering under Obamacare. My 62 year old dad can't retire until he can draw Medicare bc of the stupid high prices on the exchange. The people between 60-65 are hurting the most as they are getting too old and sick to work yet can't afford Obamacare. That's why I've said to legalize and tax marijuana to subsidize healthcare for this group.

Most liberals support a gas tax, which affects people who drive the most, meaning they pay the most tax towards infrastructure investments. The same arguement can be made for healthcare, those who use it the most will pay more for it. Most people are covered through work, the poor through Medicaid and the old through Medicare.

No party has the perfect answer on healthcare, if they did Obamacare wouldn't need saving. It succeeded in lowering uninsured and preexisting conditions, it failed at getting enough healthy people to offset the cost of the sick therefore is bankrupt.
Then your dad is in for a big surprise because Obama made senior care less expensive. Trump's plan will increase costs for seniors three to five times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You won't be alone. Employers of 50 or more will no longer have to provide coverage. I can see many of them opting to not do so with, perhaps, millions, losing coverage. Those with virtually any pre-existing condition will be pushed into high priced government risk pools while the insurers rake in the profits on the lower risk patients who are left over.
Not only that, employers who do provide health insurance and are in a state that gets a waiver will be able to limit services, you know those pesky things like outpatient care, inpatient care, preventive care, and prescription drugs Of course just like with the bills first version, expanded medicaid will die, and regular medicaid in 2020 will receive the funding allocated in 2016, so assuming normal annual rate increases, states will either have to cover the shortfall out of pocket or cut already meager benefits.

You know there's a special place in hell for people who dream up legislation like this

Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Then your dad is in for a big surprise because Obama made senior care less expensive. Trump's plan will increase costs for seniors three to five times.
and replace subsidies with tax credits

Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
and replace subsidies with tax credits
Oh that's right. The subsidies helped to reduce the upfront costs. This will mean they have to pay upfront and try to get it back later. What little there is to get back after the cost increases.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Oh that's right. The subsidies helped to reduce the upfront costs. This will mean they have to pay upfront and try to get it back later. What little there is to get back after the cost increases.
yep, and the tax credits will not be adjusted due to higher health insurance costs in your area, so you might make out really well in a low cost area but not so much in Arizona or Oklahoma

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
I am torn between not wanting seniors to suffer and knowing that a lot of seniors voted for Trump. I don't receive subsidies. My plan was deemed "Cadillac" and was scaled back with Obamacare. I didn't care because I wanted everyone to have healthcare. I am a true believer.

But when the true believer cares more than the person who will actually see the cost increase, it becomes exhausting. Why are we supposed to care more than they do when they are the ones that will pay the most? At some point, the true believer wants to say to the Trump supporter "I told you so".
Well, I don't want to see anyone suffer, young or old. I would like everyone to realize what a disaster this will be and make sure their congressmen know how they feel. Then this monstrosity will not win and no one will be hurt.

Both sides need to work together to fix health care. "REPEAL" is such a fun word for the arch conservatives to use. So violent sounding. How about just something less forceful like "repair" or "fix."

And I know of exactly ZERO seniors who voted for Trump. None. Seniors hate Trump. It was people in their 40s and 50s who are well off and can afford to buy health care, also people in that age group who work at low level jobs. And not even that many of them either.

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
Quote:
What difference is 3-5 times increase when it's already to expensive to use unless your on your death bed

Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
What difference is 3-5 times increase when it's already to expensive to use unless your on your death bed
Then your dad is probably really glad Trump won because nothing solves a problem like a three to five times price increase.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I don't want to see anyone suffer, young or old. I would like everyone to realize what a disaster this will be and make sure their congressmen know how they feel. Then this monstrosity will not win and no one will be hurt.

Both sides need to work together to fix health care. "REPEAL" is such a fun word for the arch conservatives to use. So violent sounding. How about just something less forceful like "repair" or "fix."

And I know of exactly ZERO seniors who voted for Trump. None. Seniors hate Trump. It was people in their 40s and 50s who are well off and can afford to buy health care, also people in that age group who work at low level jobs. And not even that many of them either.
Both sides will never work together, that's the problem. The democrats don't even want to join the conversation.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
What about the kids born with congenital heart disease, autism, breathing issues, cleft palate -- these are all pre-existing conditions.

I was hoping one person could say -- it isn't going to be that bad -- we are not understanding how it will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies