Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Although to be honest, I do want to keep the edginess of some of the attacks on PC culture, SJWs and liberal politics. It's given facets of conservatism a backbone to combat the politics of shame that the far left in the media have engaged against conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Pat is 100% right on military action overseas and 100% wrong on trade. Yes, Trump ran on Pat's ideas. Trump is to Pat what Reagan was to Goldwater.
I agree but Pat is not a nationalist. He is a paleo-conservative and only wants to reexamine our trade deals with countries oversees. The same as Trump. They're not just brazenly anti-free trade. Buchanan has said that he is not all about protectionism.
Steve Bannon though he is an open economic nationalist. He is more extreme on trade but not in racial sense, but more of a cultural chauvinist.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I agree but Pat is not a nationalist. He is a paleo-conservative and only wants to reexamine our trade deals with countries oversees. The same as Trump. They're not just brazenly anti-free trade. Buchanan has said that he is not all about protectionism.
Steve Bannon though he is an open economic nationalist. He is more extreme on trade but not in racial sense, but more of a cultural chauvinist.
Agree 100%. It was Pat's book "A Republic, Not an Empire" we solidified my views on our misadventures overseas. If I had known what I know today I would have voted for Pat in 2000.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 PM

It is going to be very hard for conservative base to go back to being totally pro-globalization after Trump threw the anti-globalist card into the ring. I mean he was at least able to save the party from being defeat to Clinton by using the populist mantra to bolster up a base of Democrat leaning union conservatives in the rust belt. That was huge.

I think this time we can have a GOP that is at least pro-borders, puts it's national interest before global interests and is more pro-worker to some regard. I mean just having the debate on H1Bs was big.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
It is going to be very hard for conservative base to go back to being totally pro-globalization after Trump threw the anti-globalist card into the ring. I mean he was at least able to save the party from being defeat to Clinton by using the populist mantra to bolster up a base of Democrat leaning union conservatives in the rust belt. That was huge.

I think this time we can have a GOP that is at least pro-borders, puts it's national interest before global interests and is more pro-worker to some regard. I mean just having the debate on H1Bs was big.
You can seperate trade from immigration quite easily. A welfare state cannot have open borders. Nor can a state that polices the world and makes enemies doing so. Liberalized trade is a no brainer. If economists ran the world we would have truly free trade.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
I used to think that the Alt-Right meant a hip new conservative movement that stood up to political correctness and Social Justice Warrior-ism, but boy was I wrong. A co-worker of mine who I assumed was conservative pretty much revealed to me he was Alt-Right. Thinking that it meant "cool, hip" conservative, I wrote down some of the youtube channels he recommended. OMG, this guy is nuts! The Alt-Right are essentially a collection of watered down Neo-Nazis, and white nationalists who want an ethno-state for white people. They peddle Race/IQ pseudo-science and think that anyone who doesn't agree with them is under the spell of the Jews.

Most aren't even conservative at all, they admit this much in their videos and actually openly deride the conservatives. They talk ill of Christianity as much as Islam and think that the white race didn't need Judeo-Christian values and could've been just as triumphant with their ancient Nordic/Germanic and Greek mythologies.

Why aren't conservatives more openly denouncing this group that's infiltrated the conservative movement? They're essentially a white identiarian traditionalist group that bares no resemblance to actual American conservatism. I tried to at least find some common ground with him by saying that I could see a case for cultural assimilation to preserve western values somewhat but even this was too much for him as he thinks you cannot separate race from culture.

This is the right wing's version of SJWs/Commies/Anarchists and Antifa.

Isn't this a crazy time we are living in? History repeats itself. We are seeing pre-WWII like clashes between Communists (AntiFa) and Nazis (Alt-Right).
I agree. Unfortunately, extremism is in vogue lately, and sane liberals, sane conservatives, and moderates are eclipsed by the fringes on both extremes.

As far as I'm concerned, both the extremists (the Alt-Right and the SJWs) are much more similar to each other than they are to the more reasonable folks.

Crazy comes around in a full circle.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
You can seperate trade from immigration quite easily. A welfare state cannot have open borders. Nor can a state that polices the world and makes enemies doing so. Liberalized trade is a no brainer. If economists ran the world we would have truly free trade.
Nice points. But did not other developed countries grow by protecting their infant industries?

I think what we are witnessing is the resurgence of the American School of Economics, a Hamiltonian project. What libertarians would shrug off as mercantilism.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Key phrase being "ran the world".

Because then, maybe an Indian or a Belgian could take a USA job, but then an American could equally as easily take an Indian or Belgian job.

One-sided free-trade is an oxymoron.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
And it's going to get alot worse before it gets better sadly. I applaud you for coming to your senses! As a moderate Republican I feel like I am fighting a losing battle to save my party from becoming an outright neo-Nazi party, but I feel like somebody's gotta fight to keep some semblance of conservatism around. We're a nation founded upon an idea, not the color of one's skin or their ethnic background!

There are some days where I feel like we are headed for a full blown Freikorps vs Spartacists style clash in this country.
As a moderate liberal, I agree with you.

Hell, should we all just create a third party for all of us moderates, called the Non-Wackadoodles? lol

Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The normal people in the middle have to get together, forget about D or R labels, and find a decent candidate to elect. That's if we want to save our country. This is a dangerous road our country has taken. There wasn't anyone good to vote for so many Dems didn't vote and many Repubs voted for Trump our of anger, not because they really wanted him.
Exactly. This country has been treating the two parties like they're sports teams that they're rabidly rooting for/against.

Reminds of drunken rowdy World Cup fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies