Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 PM

749 posts, read 735,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's a trick question because what I learned from two friends with advanced science degrees that left the state because their measely 100k salaries at the time would never lead them to home ownership.

California is a renting state. Especially if you are willing to share a room with 3-4 other people.
No, it's really not a trick question.

Everyone knows that $100k per year goes a heckuva lot farther in some places than in others. Anyone who has ever moved to a different town, city or state understands that.

Years ago I lived in a tiny little rural town. The BEST houses in town were around $24k-$25k. That'd be about $50k in today's economy. And I would LOVE to be able to buy a nice house for $50k right now. In fact, I'd buy 10 of them. But that just isn't going to happen in a city.

There are a LOT of factors that come into play when you're talking about the REAL cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Sorry cons, facts don't lie.

#FactsTrumpAlternativeFacts

HAH! Fake news has already been removed. A big fat 404 now.

The internet said it so it must be true!

I'm a born and raised Californian and, aside from Silicon Valley which is their own bubble of tech and over priced homes (much the same as DC), the state is a mess and almost bankrupt again. Even with multi billion $ tax hikes every two years since Brown took office.

If you do not live here you have no clue so stop pretending to.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Kind of a spurious adjustment IMO..because cost of living in California..the nation's 3rd largest state..varies wildly...urban area..very high cost of living..and jobs that pay well..hard to find unless you're highly educated, for the most part..but much of California..contrary to popular myth--is rural...San Bernadino county..Placer county....El Dorado county...Most of the Central and San Joaquin valleys, etc.

Cost of living is much lower in those areas
The entire premise is centered on the urban areas of CA that produce so much GDP.

Heck, a big part of the housing boom is ironically Chinese nationals investing for a "rainy day" just like Jared Kushners family sells.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:29 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
The entire premise is centered on the urban areas of CA that produce so much GDP.

Heck, a big part of the housing boom is ironically Chinese nationals investing for a "rainy day" just like Jared Kushners family sells.
OK..I get that..but given California's position in Agriculture...does not a lot of the GDP actually center in Bakersfield and Fresno?

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
Defying Trump hasn't stopped cities like Compton and Oakland from being some of the most dangerous cities in America. California needs to be more worried about cracking down on gangs rather than trying to defy Trump.

1,735 posts, read 1,770,636 times
Quote:
That's a trick question because what I learned from two friends with advanced science degrees that left the state because their measely 100k salaries at the time would never lead them to home ownership.

California is a renting state. Especially if you are willing to share a room with 3-4 other people.
You can thank NIMBYs and gentrification.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
More expensive in Pierre than in Needles.

and of course...how much will you be paid in one vs. the other..look..we both can cherry pick scenarios where we appear to be right...but the overall notion that California is some kind of liberal hellhole..just ain't so.
Tho 1 big reason Needles is cheap to live is cause the nearest grocery store's in Fort Mohave across the river here in Arizona. Calif's insane laws backfire around there pushing lots of businesses to set up shop here.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Kahleeforgnya... Bwaaa haaaa haaa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6IQRbEtXlQ

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Tho 1 big reason Needles is cheap to live is cause the nearest grocery store's in Fort Mohave across the river here in Arizona. Calif's insane laws backfire around here pushing lots of businesses to set up shop here.
Huh..and here I thought it was because the average temp is 114

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
No, it's really not a trick question.

Everyone knows that $100k per year goes a heckuva lot farther in some places than in others. Anyone who has ever moved to a different town, city or state understands that.

Years ago I lived in a tiny little rural town. The BEST houses in town were around $24k-$25k. That'd be about $50k in today's economy. And I would LOVE to be able to buy a nice house for $50k right now. In fact, I'd buy 10 of them. But that just isn't going to happen in a city.

There are a LOT of factors that come into play when you're talking about the REAL cost of living.
Perhaps I misunderstood your angle. We both seem to acknowledge cost of living unlike others in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies