Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Huh..and here I thought it was because the average temp is 114
114F in July or August; the temps here in the winter are around 65F if talking day time highs.

If we're gonna play the weather game: places like Chicago are seriously COLD in the winter; a person could die if it's 20F outside for a few minutes. That same person would like a LOT longer if it's 115F outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
OK..I get that..but given California's position in Agriculture...does not a lot of the GDP actually center in Bakersfield and Fresno?
You mean the 2% GDP contribution?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom...t_dollars).svg

Old 05-10-2017, 07:00 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hmmm.a bit long in the tooth..but we can play with it..2%..sure...I note that High tech is only 6%?

What I think we have here is an inaccurate view using accurate figures--Mathguy---most of those pie pieces are interconnected...they are economically synergistic. 2%--that feeds into most of the other categories. Same as high tech..what I see is a picture of our world as it is economically..service driven, for the most part..and passing the same dollar around many times.

Now if you were to express California's contribution to the nation's Agribusiness..you would find a different number indeed.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
I am not rich or poor enough to live in California.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 PM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
I love Cali but after factoring in the cost of living, they are the 43rd most prosperous state in per capita income. it's a place for living a more austere lifestyle like they do in Europe....well better than Europe but not so great otherwise.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Sorry to ruin your fantasy, facts disagree with you.

What facts? It's so broken that it didn't pay my income tax return. I'm still waiting for my 2015 refund. For 2016 tax refund, Ca withholding the return because it doesn't have money to pay. Continuing the game of delay. Everything points to it's bankrupting. Brown just raise more tax to pay for infracstructure, at least that's the claim. It could be to pay for the CALSPER's shortfall.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
I disagree:

US Poverty Level By State - WorldAtlas.com

I doubt Forbes as an unbiased sourse
You obviously didn't bother to look at both links.

Apples and Oranges.

Forbes = poverty expressed with an adjustment for cost of living.

your link...the bare numbers...no adjustment for cost of living.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:18 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Is it cheaper to buy a house in California or in South Dakota?

That just speaks to how desirable California is.

A Google stock is over $800. A Seadrill stock is $0.60. Nobody would ever say Seadrill is so much better than Google because it is cheap. That's just a dumb reasoning.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
HAH! Fake news has already been removed. A big fat 404 now.

The internet said it so it must be true!

I'm a born and raised Californian and, aside from Silicon Valley which is their own bubble of tech and over priced homes (much the same as DC), the state is a mess and almost bankrupt again. Even with multi billion $ tax hikes every two years since Brown took office.

If you do not live here you have no clue so stop pretending to.

Here is the link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...way-from-trump

Quote:
I'm a born and raised Californian and, aside from Silicon Valley which is their own bubble of tech and over priced homes (much the same as DC), the state is a mess and almost bankrupt again. Even with multi billion $ tax hikes every two years since Brown took office.
You right-wingers have been saying that since at least 1990, yet it is still the most prosperous state in the union.

At some point you gotta just admit you are wrong and move one.

Quote:
If you do not live here you have no clue so stop pretending to
I've been living here my whole life. All I have to say is, things are good. Even right-wing conservative radio pundit choose to live here.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What facts? It's so broken that it didn't pay my income tax return. I'm still waiting for my 2015 refund. For 2016 tax refund, Ca withholding the return because it doesn't have money to pay. Continuing the game of delay. Everything points to it's bankrupting. Brown just raise more tax to pay for infracstructure, at least that's the claim. It could be to pay for the CALSPER's shortfall.

I have never had that happen, ever. I always receive my tax return weeks after filing and my 2016 refund already deposited into my account after I filed at the deadline.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies