Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:43 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
You cannot support the troops without supporting the mission.
Poppycock! What are you suggesting for my friend? Divorce since she can't support the mission? Should she send her son in the Army to Angelina Jolie and see if she will adopt him?

You CAN support members of your family without supporting the mission.

(People do this all the time with drug-addicted family members. I think it's called "being an enabler.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 PM

112 posts, read 69,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
You cannot support the troops without supporting the mission.

I have to agree with you. They volunteered It's not like they got drafted.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Poppycock! What are you suggesting for my friend? Divorce since she can't support the mission? Should she send her son in the Army to Angelina Jolie and see if she will adopt him?

You CAN support members of your family without supporting the mission.

(People do this all the time with drug-addicted family members. I think it's called "being an enabler.")

It's America she has the right to do what ever she wants. But that doesn't make it right. You can't support your home team and at the same time picket outside the stadium.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:01 PM

421 posts, read 348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post

Yes I think some forget that the military is filled with amazing people who love their country and are willing to die for it. These people really believe in what they are doing and it's sad everyone focuses on the negative and doesn't give them credit for any of the positives that are going on over there. It's like their efforts are being shoved under the rug. This country is filled with arrogant elitest snobs that take their freedoms for granted. I hope someday they will not get a rude awakening.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
It's America she has the right to do what ever she wants. But that doesn't make it right. You can't support your home team and at the same time picket outside the stadium.

Very good!! maybe now it will make sense to them since you explained it correctly.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Sure you can. Ever hear of unions? They picket the store but they support the workers.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
They volunteered, but someone who is a career military person doesn't really get to pick and choose. It's not like they can volunteer in 1999, then tell the Army they don't want to fight in certain countries in 2002.

Most of those people in the Reserves never thought they would go to fight anywhere. Now they are being sent not only on one tour of duty but two!

Old 12-17-2006, 12:27 AM

328 posts, read 240,093 times
People in the military are very intelligent, in my opinion; and they have common sense, which is what many people lack in this country. No one in the military is unaware of what he/she may be called to do unless they are ignorant. It's always a risk...and I empathize with all of them...and I am one of their greatest admirers and supporters.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
They volunteered, but someone who is a career military person doesn't really get to pick and choose. It's not like they can volunteer in 1999, then tell the Army they don't want to fight in certain countries in 2002.

Most of those people in the Reserves never thought they would go to fight anywhere. Now they are being sent not only on one tour of duty but two!

A career military person is even more aware of what comes with the territory. You can never pick and choose what wars you think are worth fighting and which aren't. If you choose the military as a career you have basically put your life in the hands of the US government. I think the people that do enlist are very brave, loyal and intelligent individuals that believe in what they do and I am very grateful for them.

Why would you join the Reserves and think you have no chance of getting sent to a war?

Old 12-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Why would you volunteer without expecting to fight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies