Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times

Advertisements

Free speech includes the right of others, including Donald Trump, to criticize the press. Now, if he threatens the press that is another story.

It is the left which has attacked the 1st Amendments free speech and religious liberty protections as of late.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Trump has been transparent, and look where it gets him?
Has he?

Refusing to release his tax returns.

Hiring his family members into his cabinet.

Firing FBI director during ongoing investigation of his admin.

I guess this qualifies as "transparent" in those "unbiased" periodicals you review for your news information...lol

Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Free speech includes the right of others, including Donald Trump, to criticize the press. Now, if he threatens the press that is another story.

It is the left which has attacked the 1st Amendments free speech and religious liberty protections as of late.
Trump's chief of staff: 'We've looked at' changing libel laws - Apr. 30, 2017

Read that article above. This is what it looks like when an authority figure does not want to be questioned. That IS a direct threat to the press.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Has he?

Refusing to release his tax returns.

Hiring his family members into his cabinet.

Firing FBI director during ongoing investigation of his admin.

I guess this qualifies as "transparent" in those "unbiased" periodicals you review for your news information...lol
Well, there was one actual example in there.

Like it or not, so far Trump is more transparent than Obama.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,226,475 times
I will make this remark. "The media is only as liberal as the corporations that own them let them be".

Most of the media are limousine liberals. They don't support unions, they don't support a realistic minimum wage, and they pay lip service to civil rights while their associations are lily white. They are as phony as a three dollar bill.

Trump started the war with the media outright. His continuous lies invite contradiction. Had he quieted down and got down to work, there would have been much less material for the Press to work with. We are at the point now where even prominent Republicans are using the I word and Democrats are openly asking for it.

What you Trump supporters need to fear right now is a move to back Trump into a corner by his own party. Many Republicans and most of big business would like to move the Republican agenda forward.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
Quote:
.... Apparently you only get your information from MSNBC, and CNN, NBC, ABC and the other Democrat controlled source (Huffington Post? LOL!).
How dare you get your news from legitimate news organizations!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
How dare you get your news from legitimate news sources!
News... lol

They couldn't pick news out of a one person lineup.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
The Obama administration was the least transparent of any in my lifetime. What the hell are you talking about?

Trump has been transparent, and look where it gets him?
This made me go

The fact that Trump has not released his tax returns is him not being transparent. All other presidents have for the past 40-50 years.

The only thing one can say about him being transparent is that he is on Twitter.

IMO Obama was much smarter than him with the press. He didn't give them a bunch of gossip to talk about and he, like GW Bush before him gave the least amount of info they could to the press and cited policy.

All presidents in my lifetime have had an air of secrecy about them. I think Trump's use of Twitter and his lack of finesse with the media whereas he goes on adult tantrums it seems, shows how in over his head he is in public service. I have worked in the public sector and people who have worked in this segment know, especially on the executive level, that you control how you interact with the press. You look to the media to know what they are going to potentially ask you and you frame your response in a very calm, rational way. You also be proactive regarding stories that you know will make their way into the media and you put one of your polished PR/media people out front to provide the rational narrative that you want to impart on the public. You don't go on Twitter and spout gossip or say idiotic things. That skews your message.

And FWIW I'm starting to have some pity for Trump. He really doesn't know what he's doing in regards to handling the media. Even though many conservatives lauded Obama for his supposed lack of experience in government, he actually had over a decade of public sector experience and he was trained in the law so knew how to spin a story and still make it look like he was sane and rational. Trump doesn't know how to do it and his ego is really impeding those around him that know how to do this from taking charge.

I also think all the conservative "the-media-are-evil" whiners are being ridiculous. All presidents have had to deal with the media. Not sure why you all think and Trump thinks he's so special that no one should ask him questions about his administration or the dumb stuff he tweets about.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Trump's chief of staff: 'We've looked at' changing libel laws - Apr. 30, 2017

Read that article above. This is what it looks like when an authority figure does not want to be questioned. That IS a direct threat to the press.
I can only guess you don't know what libel means.

I'll help you out.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.vuk9ez3oXI4

Quote:
To meet the Supreme Court's definition of libel involving a public figure, a quotation must not only be made up or materially altered. It must also defame the person quoted, and damage his or her reputation or livelihood
So, you believe it's good to do things like make up quotes?

Nothing says fake news like fake news.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
News... lol

They couldn't pick news out of a one person lineup.
As compared to FOX news, Breitbart, Infowars, and the ever popular conservative entertainer Rush Limbaugh where many conservatives may get their information.

Sorry, but I prefer to live in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies