Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If the SJWs start moving in on STEM we are all doomed.
Wait until they start building skyscrapers and aircraft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 01:09 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Should she be more worried about Asians taking over STEM?

Old 05-20-2017, 01:23 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Reading your links, I had no idea mathematics had gone to the postmodernists... the world is heading toward a new dark age.
It will be hard to keep real mathematicians down. They'll keep doing math even if universities won't hire them to do it professionally because they're the wrong race or gender.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:25 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Pretty hard to take someone that uses the term "cis male" in a sentence seriously.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:34 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Coocoo, Coocoo

Old 05-20-2017, 03:55 AM

30,387 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
And she's married to a white guy lol
No doubt he's p*ssy whipped.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:07 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
sounds like liberalism at work in the schools as expected. we are headed backwards here too if people follow this lame advice

Old 05-20-2017, 04:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
She needs mental help with that large of a persecution complex.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:06 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Kassie Benjamin-******, a teacher in Minneapolis, discovered her love of math in elementary school... she was consistently above average for math—which instilled her with a sense of accomplishment.
Then in high school, her excitement for math slowly turned to disappointment. Benjamin-******, a citizen of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe (a tribal nation in Minnesota), was one of two students of color in her 11th-grade pre-calculus class. When her study partner was absent for a series of days, Benjamin-****** began to struggle with the material and barely passed the class with a D-minus. Her senior year in AP Calculus repeated the pattern—lacking support and feeling ignored in the class, she passed with a D.
“I didn’t have a math teacher that I could go and get help from, [and] I didn't feel comfortable at all approaching my own math teacher,” she said. Recognizing the undercurrent—how her feelings of isolation were related to her race—she admits “those two [classes] really made me question: Do I consider myself good at math anymore?”
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...cation/524199/

This is a little bit similar to my own experience. I was very good at math in elementary school, still pretty good in high school, but mediocre in college. Isn't this what happens to everyone? Even people good enough at math to breeze through undergrad work eventually get to a level they can't really wrap their heads around and find out that, compared to the real geniuses, they're dense after all. Some math problems go unsolved for hundreds of years. They're just too hard, for anyone. I reached my level of incompetence in math, but it never occurred to me that I was a victim. I simply wasn't smart enough to go any further with it. If I experienced any privilege, it was in not being subjected to idiots telling me that calculus was hard because the world was against me, and that if I had been treated fairly I could have breezed through to a Fields Medal.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Quote:
Second thought: but what about the others like me, who don’t do math the “right way” but could still greatly contribute to the community?
I think I've found the problem. Maybe she helped invent common core math, or maybe she was one of the first test subjects for common core math. Either way, even according to her, people in her field appear to think she doesn't do math the "right way". Whether that means not coming up with the correct answers or somehow managing to come up with the right answers even though the path to get there may be haphazard and/or illogical.

Neither one's gender nor "how they identify" is relevant in determining whether or not they can do advanced math. What IS relevant is whether or not they have the mental ability to do that advanced math. It sounds to me like she wants to dumb down PhD level math to HER ability and style so she doesn't look like the person who was advanced due to affirmative action rather than ability, which probably was the case.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 05-20-2017 at 05:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies