Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 AM

421 posts, read 288,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever. Again, Notre Dame is a CATHOLIC university. The communication/expression of Catholic beliefs should therefore have been expected by the students who CHOSE to attend Notre Dame. Don't agree with Catholic beliefs? Don't choose to go to Notre Dame.

How is that hard for you to understand?
I understand it ,you do not .You clearly make the assumption those students that walked out don't have catholic beliefs,you are incorrect.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Saw this and thought again - what a bunch of losers. I don't care about Hillary or Obama - if they were to be the speaker at a graduation - I just wouldn't go. I think you embarrass yourself more because it shows the fact that you aren't respectful, you aren't tolerant, you aren't biased, you don't have an open mind, and you have little life experience and believe everything that the "cool" kids tell you.

Have my ideals changed since I was 20 - yes - and I have to say most people's do because as you age you become more knowledgeable. I was a moderate left back than - felt everyone's pain - believed we had to give everyone a chance. I no longer feel that way as too many take advantage of things I stood up for.

My husband was homophobic - but over the years - he's come to know my gay friends and views many of them like a brother - he realizes he has nothing to fear from them. They cry, they laugh, they bleed just like us.

My cousin was pro life - demonstrated at the clinics - did the marches in the streets - but as time went on and she worked in social services and saw the crack head babies - saw how children were abused - how the parents just had them and forgot them - she now says - many would have been better off aborted.

Change to me is growth and learning through life experiences - if you haven't changed since your 20's - you haven't grown as a person.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:42 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is the time and place for such things?
Someplace where others are not affected by their actions.

This is the same mentality (although admittedly on a less intrusive scale) as when protesters block a highway.

When your protest has an negative effect on others who may or may not agree with your opinions, you are being disrespectful to the freedoms and lives of others who have nothing to do with what you're protesting against.

And that makes you a selfish child.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't think they were out to win a popularity contest. They were making a statement, based on their views and convictions. They must have succeeded because here we are, talking about it.
No, we're not talking about what they were protesting.

We're talking about what disrespectful little children they were for choosing to protest where and when they did. .

Not exactly a great way to make others sympathetic to your cause.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:41 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Someplace where others are not affected by their actions.

This is the same mentality (although admittedly on a less intrusive scale) as when protesters block a highway.

When your protest has an negative effect on others who may or may not agree with your opinions, you are being disrespectful to the freedoms and lives of others who have nothing to do with what you're protesting against.

And that makes you a selfish child.
The point of a protest is to bring attention to an issue. Doing it in a rented room at a convention hall completely defeats the purpose.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
The point of a protest is to bring attention to an issue. Doing it in a rented room at a convention hall completely defeats the purpose.
It brought attention to the fact that 150 graduates are intolerant and will not be successful in life or in the workplace.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It brought attention to the fact that 150 graduates are intolerant and will not be successful in life or in the workplace.
Wow, look who was the lead speaker at a protest march.

Participation in this protest was OK though, correct?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Not saying they should protest in private ..
Lol

Basically what it comes down to is this:

The first amendment protects you right to protest and to voice grievances..... but that does not give you the right to involve others in your protest or even to make anyone actually listen to what you're saying.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not saying they should protest in private ..
Lol

Basically what it comes down to is this:

The first amendment protects you right to protest and to voice grievances..... but that does not give you the right to involve others in your protest or even to make anyone actually listen to what you're saying.
No one was forced to be involved and there was nothing to listen to. Ignore them if you wish.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:41 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It absolutely did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies