Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anyone in their early 20's closing their mind is an idiot.

It doesn't matter if I agree with the points or not.

Now it's certainly their right, I 100% support their right to walk out.

Tell me, did you know it all at age 22? Haven't learned anything as you've matured?

Yep, they're idiots...because they've got it all figured out and don't need to listen anymore.
I...yeah, not really following the train of thought here.

Other than, "They don't think/agree with me or my view and they're young, so they're idiots".

And, I think the word you're looking for is, "immature", not "idiot".

Old 05-24-2017, 03:32 AM

421 posts, read 288,185 times
The students made their point,there is nothing Pence can say he hasn't already said.Pence is no different then the cult leader trump.By getting up and walking out peacefully they showed many Americans ...Republicans and Democrats that you can protest peacefully and respectfully .People only get mad about things like this when it hits close to home and that bothers them becuase now they think they can be wrong and that scares them.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:49 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I would have paid Turkey's guys to beat them up.

But seriously, I would tell them if they want their diplomas they'll have to go to the White House to get them.
Would you elaborate on what you mean by the statement above in bold?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What else are we discussing here but our opinion?

Again.... nobody is saying that they don't have a right to protest.

But there's a fine line between protesting and acting like a bunch of disrespectful toddlers.

Would you want to remember your graduation ceremonies this way?

Would you want your kids to?

I know I wouldn't

Oh, and BTW.....

Democrats are just peachy with authority..... as long as the authority in power is enforcing their views.
Quietly walking out is respectful.

Shouting out during the speech is acting like a bunch of disrespectful toddlers.

Wouldn't you agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajbpVtjXVPA

Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
They don't respect half of America and throw a hissy fit because they lost and they are highly intolerant....that's all this is about.

If those idiots you referenced had spoken at my graduation, I wouldn't have walked out and may have learned something by listening to an opinion diverse from my own (actually when I was in college, I probably would have agreed with all those fools).

The protesters who hollered out during Obama's commencement address at the Notre Dame graduation did not listen and obstructed others from listening.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not only that, they're on video. That'll always be available to potential future employers. Employers are not overly fond of hiring those who appear to feel they have to get their own way.

Are you saying it would have been better to stay and shout out to disrupt Pence's speech so that others cannot hear it, such as was done to Obama during his speech there in 2009? The shouters would not have been seen on camera after all. Would employers be fond of shouters who disrupt?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Unless they get doxxed, I doubt much will happen. These protesters arent particularly doxx worthy. 1 protest of a minute then life goes on. Noone hurt. Point made. I have no beef with them unlike the Berkeley goons, some of whom deserve multi year prison terms.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Why would they protest a belief system they deliberately CHOSE to accept? Everyone knows Notre Dame is a Catholic university. No surprise, there.

Doing so is immature.
What is the Catholic position on refugees?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry, they don't. The Catholic Church forbids same sex marriage and is most definitely pro-life. The Pope has not changed those beliefs. They are KNOWN beliefs of the Catholic Church. If those beliefs conflict with a student's beliefs, the student should not have deliberately CHOSEN to attend a Catholic university.

You can't choose a ribeye dinner from a menu and then complain/protest when you're served a ribeye dinner. See what I mean?
I believe there are other issues in which the Trump/Pence team diverge from the catholic church.

Three key issues Donald Trump and Pope Francis disagree on

Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever. Again, Notre Dame is a CATHOLIC university. The communication/expression of Catholic beliefs should therefore have been expected by the students who CHOSE to attend Notre Dame. Don't agree with Catholic beliefs? Don't choose to go to Notre Dame.

How is that hard for you to understand?
The problem for those students, who walked out, was that the speaker, Pence, did not agree with the Catholic beliefs. Therefore, the chose not to "go to" or listen to Pence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.