Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
For minor children, yes. For college students, the male Pitt students were quite clear about opposing an anatomical female's use of the men's restroom/locker/shower rooms.

That logic doesnt make sense.

Quote:
Pro-choice is NOT pro-life. And the Catholic Church is opposed to same sex marriage. If a student's beliefs conflict with those positions, why choose to attend a Catholic university?
I never said pro choice was pro life, but it isnt pro abortion either, and that is what you claimed.

This nation is pro choice by law, by you logic, why should religion operate in a nation that is pro choice and pro gay marriage ?????

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
You know, I support the right to protest. And to disagree. What's more, I didn't vote for Trump, nor would I if my life depended on it. Just so you're clear on that.

But I am wondering if all this highly visible protesting, the walkouts, the shouting down of speakers, and rioting campuses, aren't inflicting a deep wound on the cause they are trying to espouse?

Before you leap to your keyboards, consider this for a moment. A strong and healthy democracy is based on informed and respectful debate. Not intimidation, not shouting down, not bullying. And the people who walked out of Pence's speech or keep conservatives from speaking on college campuses, are just as bad as the most egregious Trump supporter. More to the point, they are hardly presenting an attractive alternative.

In that sense, a bevy of privileged kids from upper-income households walking out on the Vice President during a speech is a stunt, one that flies against the traditions of a successful democracy. You listen, then you pipe up with a rebuttal. You don't choose to not listen. The Notre Dame walkout? All it did was to underscore the point Trump was making all along in 2016. In fact, I can practically quote the guy now: "These people aren't interested in the lives of ordinary Americans, what with their fancy schmancy private colleges and mom and dad paying their tuition. They want to live in their own little world and not be bothered by the reality of the Other America."

I called Trump's victory in May last year. Everybody thought I was insane. But I knew something was up. I knew he didn't need a majority of the popular vote. He only needed to win over voters in the Rust Belt, places that had traditionally voted Democratic. The West Virginia and Pennsylvania coal fields. The emptying cities of eastern Ohio. Places that Hillary Clinton never bothered to campaign, because they just didn't matter to her or her coterie. Those people walking out of Pence's speech are part and parcel of the same mindset. But if they don't listen to the other side, they certainly won't equipped to debate it.

Here's an idea for those who detest Trump and all he stands for. Try something besides incoherent rage. Try something besides disrupting speeches and impotent marching on the Capitol wearing ***** hats. Have a coherent vision for governance that flies in the face of all that Trump says. Offer an economic vision that actually helps the people who voted the bastard in.

In other words, quit dragging out the same tired publicity stunts. For cheap and lazy symbolism isn't going to fight an ideology that, somehow and someway, has tapped into large sections of the American mindset.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
The students made their point,there is nothing Pence can say he hasn't already said.Pence is no different then the cult leader trump.By getting up and walking out peacefully they showed many Americans ...Republicans and Democrats that you can protest peacefully and respectfully .People only get mad about things like this when it hits close to home and that bothers them becuase now they think they can be wrong and that scares them.
Does this <bold> also apply to the cult of Obama/Bernie/Hillary or is it just one way?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I never said pro choice was pro life, but it isnt pro abortion either, and that is what you claimed.

This nation is pro choice by law, by you logic, why should religion operate in a nation that is pro choice and pro gay marriage ?????
The First Amendment Right to the Freedom of Religion. And that's why Notre Dame is a PRIVATE school, not a public school, though it does receive public funding (and why aren't liberals squawking incessantly about that?).

Don't agree with Catholic beliefs such as pro-life and forbidding same sex marriage? Don't CHOOSE to attend Notre Dame, a CATHOLIC school.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You know, I support the right to protest. And to disagree. What's more, I didn't vote for Trump, nor would I if my life depended on it. Just so you're clear on that.

But I am wondering if all this highly visible protesting, the walkouts, the shouting down of speakers, and rioting campuses, aren't inflicting a deep wound on the cause they are trying to espouse?

Before you leap to your keyboards, consider this for a moment. A strong and healthy democracy is based on informed and respectful debate. Not intimidation, not shouting down, not bullying. And the people who walked out of Pence's speech or keep conservatives from speaking on college campuses, are just as bad as the most egregious Trump supporter. More to the point, they are hardly presenting an attractive alternative.

In that sense, a bevy of privileged kids from upper-income households walking out on the Vice President during a speech is a stunt, one that flies against the traditions of a successful democracy. You listen, then you pipe up with a rebuttal. You don't choose to not listen. The Notre Dame walkout? All it did was to underscore the point Trump was making all along in 2016. In fact, I can practically quote the guy now: "These people aren't interested in the lives of ordinary Americans, what with their fancy schmancy private colleges and mom and dad paying their tuition. They want to live in their own little world and not be bothered by the reality of the Other America."

I called Trump's victory in May last year. Everybody thought I was insane. But I knew something was up. I knew he didn't need a majority of the popular vote. He only needed to win over voters in the Rust Belt, places that had traditionally voted Democratic. The West Virginia and Pennsylvania coal fields. The emptying cities of eastern Ohio. Places that Hillary Clinton never bothered to campaign, because they just didn't matter to her or her coterie. Those people walking out of Pence's speech are part and parcel of the same mindset. But if they don't listen to the other side, they certainly won't equipped to debate it.

Here's an idea for those who detest Trump and all he stands for. Try something besides incoherent rage. Try something besides disrupting speeches and impotent marching on the Capitol wearing ***** hats. Have a coherent vision for governance that flies in the face of all that Trump says. Offer an economic vision that actually helps the people who voted the bastard in.

In other words, quit dragging out the same tired publicity stunts. For cheap and lazy symbolism isn't going to fight an ideology that, somehow and someway, has tapped into large sections of the American mindset.
When you have nothing new, nothing but the same old tired "we're against whatever the other side is for" this is all you can do.
Trump hit a nerve with people and obviously did a great job at promoting himself and tweaking that nerve as he won in the end.
Unfortunately for the Dems, they couldn't field a candidate that had anything to offer that was better and totally failed at promoting what ideas they did have and now can't seem to come together to do anything other than scream how bad the other side is as well as pull on stunt after another to get in the news.

Until they go back to the drawing board and quit listening to the radicals in the party they will go nowhere. What's interesting is this could actually apply to both sides in some fashion...

Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Quietly walking out is respectful.

Shouting out during the speech is acting like a bunch of disrespectful toddlers.

Wouldn't you agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajbpVtjXVPA
Yes, of course. Of the various types of protest, shouting/interrupting is more disruptive than simply walking out.

Of course, I support people's rights to do both.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really,how's that exactly? It's not just YOUR commencement it is your class or a group commencement. If Pence bothered them so much why did they show up? It's not like he was a surprise guest. They showed up specifically to protest because the world is all about them and to hell with everyone else.
If you don't understand the difference between a funeral and a college commencement then I can't help you

Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
The First Amendment Right to the Freedom of Religion. And that's why Notre Dame is a PRIVATE school, not a public school, though it does receive public funding (and why aren't liberals squawking incessantly about that?).
Don't agree with Catholic beliefs such as pro-life and forbidding same sex marriage? Don't CHOOSE to attend Notre Dame, a CATHOLIC school.
You can be a Catholic without agreeing with all of the tenets of Catholicism. I know that because I was raised Catholic. Sorry you know so little about the faith that you would think otherwise.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Here's an idea for those who detest Trump and all he stands for. Try something besides incoherent rage.
Walking out is not incoherent rage.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can be a Catholic without agreeing with all of the tenets of Catholicism.
No one said you couldn't. However, it's ridiculously emotionally and intellectually immature to CHOOSE to attend a CATHOLIC university, and then complain when said university invites a person holding Catholic beliefs to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies