Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
Well, which is it? Not many economic opportunities in rural areas.
Aren't you forgetting about people like me? I have my own Internet business and I can operate it from anywhere. That being the case, why should I choose the city over the boonies?

As technology evolves there will be more and more like me, plus there are the increasing numbers of retirees who don't need local employment, to fill the void being left behind as the younger people flee to the cities. Small town America isn't going anywhere.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Well darlin', I can't speak for Fluidfreedom, to whom you posed your question. I'm retired & live in Hawaii and as far as I know there are no Cracker Barrels/Dollar Generals here. I'm sure you mean it as an insult, but I see nothing wrong with working at either place.

Again, you are expose your own hypocrisy.

Mahalo
Hoot
Not only that, a waitress/waiter can make an OK living at a Cracker Barrel with tips in a low cost of living area.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,825 times
I've lived in both for an extended period of time. Big cities suck. Period.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Cracker Barrel's aren't really rural, they are in the burbs.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Aren't you forgetting about people like me? I have my own Internet business and I can operate it from anywhere. That being the case, why should I choose the city over the boonies?

As technology evolves there will be more and more like me, plus there are the increasing numbers of retirees who don't need local employment, to fill the void being left behind as the younger people flee to the cities. Small town America isn't going anywhere.
In some areas, probably many areas, kids in those small towns leave to go to college and never return. They can be lovely areas but when the retirees move to be closer to their kids, or to go to assisted living, or pass away, the numbers keep dwindling.

We have declining population, local businesses that have been around for years are slowly closing and new businesses struggle. Much is propped up by retirees and property taxes are high. I can see our property values declining in coming years unless we can attract productive young people who want to stay. Even telecommuters seem to want to be closer to the city and its offerings. Unfortunately too many of the young people who do stay are not productive and do not help the situation.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I was part of a young family I would never raise my kids in a city. It's filthy, expensive, crime-filled, diseased and you care more about the idea of a decent environment than actually experiencing one except once a year maybe, when you go on vacation to visit trees, clean air, wildlife and open spaces.
These are generalizations that are mostly untrue.

Small towns and semi-rural areas can have crime and pollution. Young people are leaving rural communities in droves.

Big cities can have fresh air, excellent water, tree lined avenues and boulevards, fine parks ... and ... wonderful hospitals, universities, museums, public transportation, festivals, night life, orchestras, five star hotels, international restaurants, etc.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
I live in Los Angeles , the second biggest city .
I was born here .
I've never lived in a rural area or small town .

But I don't like how some in the big cities like NYC ,L.A etc look down on people living in rural areas.
It was a big part of why Trump won .

It seems common also for liberals to use the term "middle America" in a condescending manner .

Old 05-28-2017, 12:39 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
I'll have to tell my brothers who run my family's 10,000 acres of farmland in SE MN how bad off they are.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
I love the energy and convenience of a big city.

I love the diversity, the art, the music, the theater, I love it all.

Folks who love the country -- good for you. It's a good thing when you can find your happy place.

I don't think the country sucks.....I don't think kids brought up in the country with similar socio-economic backgrounds as their city counterparts suffer but I don't think the city kids suffer.

Poverety in both areas suck for the people who are poor and for those kids....doesn't matter city or country, not having enough food or having access to all the things many of us take for granted sucks.

But after that -- find your happy place, don't judge others and live in your own world and be happy. Don't insult, attack, criticize others who don't want to live like you. It just makes you seem miserable and unhappy.

Happy people don't have time to complain about other people....they are too busy finding joy.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:41 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
There is an urban bubble as much as there is a rural bubble.

I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies