Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
All sex offender are horrible people but I've met a few that are pretty decent. So does that mean sex offenders are good people.

The fact is that many rural areas of the US, people are struggling due to lack of jobs and other opportunity. If you can't at least accept that, then you may be VERY delusional, out of touch, and living in a bubble.
Rural people do not measure their happiness by money and possessions. If you think that...well I don't want to know where you're living.

There are more welfare cases being moved out to the rural areas living in sec 8 housing and sitting around doing nothing all day. That is NOT a part of rural culture.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:57 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I was part of a young family I would never raise my kids in a city. It's filthy, expensive, crime-filled, diseased and you care more about the idea of a decent environment than actually experiencing one except once a year maybe, when you go on vacation to visit trees, clean air, wildlife and open spaces.
The same way rural areas can vary dramatically, so can cities. We recently moved out of Manhattan - Upper West Side. It was neither filthy, nor crime-ridden. My biggest complaint about it, in terms of the physical properties, was that it had turned into one giant mall. Aside from Zabar's and a tiny fraction of other stores, all individuality has been erased. Step outside, and we had CVS, Citibank, Aldo, TD Bank, Bank of America, Duane Reade, Victoria's Secret, etc. My idea of great places to live don't include the middle of a shopping mall with 8 million people. Thank heaven we had Central and Riverside Parks nearby. Other areas of NYC are completely different, but we decided we wanted more outdoor space for our kids, more of a neighborly feel, which can be hard in big cities, and the opportunities for sports are better where we are now.

We're very fortunate to have the best of both worlds, with the place in very rural PA. There we don't see anyone unless we choose to, the kids build forts in the woods and make caterpillar race-tracks in the dirt of the driveway. We hike our logging trails with the dogs and help the 'neighbors' bale hay. It may sound silly, but the time spent outdoors doing "nothing" is so healthy for kids. We sled and snowshoe in the winter and play in the sprinkler in the summer. We watch the wildlife (and deal with their shenanigans), and grow mushrooms (not the crazy kind).

If push came to shove, though, and we had to choose one location, it would be rural - hands down. It would be hard, as our area doesn't have a lot of jobs, but the trade-off of having to cut out things that are non-essential would be worth it, at least for us.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
A post on poor rural Americans who were promised better days by DimocRats with LBJ's War on poverty.53 years later and a Trillion dollars spent we are worse off today and it sounds like the OP blames us poor folks when its their liberal policies that has caused this mess .
LOL. Because 'librul policies' have been in effect for the last 50 years.

I don't know. Haven't the Republicans/Conservatives been in power a time or two?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:34 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
LOL. Because 'librul policies' have been in effect for the last 50 years.

I don't know. Haven't the Republicans/Conservatives been in power a time or two?
Yes, liberal policies. Take a look at anywhere in the world where ultra progressive policies are in place. They are failing badly.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

...The question is what will the nation do about it? And should it do anything at all? And if something is to be done, will Trump and the Republicans--whom many if not most of these people voted for--be the ones to do it?
How many people were shot dead in Kenton Ohio last year?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:40 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
What's funny is that the people in these rural areas can take care of themselves. They can grow their own food, build their own houses, etc. People in the cities are as helpless as they come. Can't do squat for themselves and never even wanted to.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:43 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Good luck with your rooftop gardens,Cattle ranches and such and cities really won't need rural folks.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,846 times
I grew up in a very rural area where most people farmed. Personally I hated it. I will visit but never live in a rural area again. The downside is that I think it makes people kind of ignorant. Moving from my small farm town to a major city was a huge shock for me. I realized there was so much in life that I wasn't aware of and hadn't been exposed too. I agree that people in rural areas just make it on less so poverty is different. Food wasn't an issue because I lived on a farm. Wal-mart was the best shopping in the area so we didn't need a lot of money for shopping. The overall cost of living is so cheap in rural areas that you don't need a lot of money, but still I wouldn't move back. My parents purchased a brand new house in the 80s for $40k. Unfortunately homes in really rural areas don't appreciate very well. There house is worth the same or probably less.

Rural areas may not have crime but they do have problems with drugs, teen pregnancy, etc. There are not activities to keep young people entertained so those that can get out as fast as possible.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
All sex offender are horrible people but I've met a few that are pretty decent. So does that mean sex offenders are good people.

The fact is that many rural areas of the US, people are struggling due to lack of jobs and other opportunity. If you can't at least accept that, then you may be VERY delusional, out of touch, and living in a bubble.
and the cities are struggling even more

60% of Los Angeles is in poverty

58% in metro NYC is in poverty

56% of Philadelphia is in poverty

44% of Baltimore is in poverty

65% of Stockton, CA is in poverty

64% of Milwaukie, WI is in poverty

53% of Chicago is in poverty

64% of Detroit is in poverty

64% of Toledo, OH is in poverty

57% of Charlotte, NC is in poverty

58% of Miami, FL is in poverty

54% of Atlanta is in poverty

urban areas are doing worse than rural areas

Old 05-31-2017, 10:23 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and the cities are struggling even more

60% of Los Angeles is in poverty

58% in metro NYC is in poverty

56% of Philadelphia is in poverty

44% of Baltimore is in poverty

65% of Stockton, CA is in poverty

64% of Milwaukie, WI is in poverty

53% of Chicago is in poverty

64% of Detroit is in poverty

64% of Toledo, OH is in poverty

57% of Charlotte, NC is in poverty

58% of Miami, FL is in poverty

54% of Atlanta is in poverty

urban areas are doing worse than rural areas
Do you mind me asking where you got your numbers from?

Los Angeles (highest poverty rate in the nation) had an official poverty rate of 18.7% in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies