Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I live in Twin Falls Idaho..Our unemployment rate is 3.3% in a rural town..in a rural county..in a rural State.
There are many seniors..and many families as well. Generations have grown up together, fostering a tight-knit sense of community.
Homelessness is almost unknown..panhandlers a rarity. I can walk anywhere, anytime, without fear.

I was in Seattle recently--downtown the odor of marijuana mixed with the stench of urine wafting from doorways--the homeless were camped right across from the City Hall. People making $10 an hour were living in hovels. I saw a robbery 50 yards away from me. Sirens were wailing at all hours as the random violence went on 24/7.

I'll keep my small town..thanks.

I may be doing you a disservice..but it seems as though your post is intended..in a subtle way...to portray city people as more intelligent, with more class, than their 'county bumpkin' counterparts. Not everyone in rural America voted for Trump..I certainly did not--but I think that the reason many did was because of the attitudes of smugness and false superiority that many 'city' folk buy into.

Their may well be some truth in what you are saying...but I'd put to you that life is full of trade-offs...country vs. city has its share of them.

Whatever one's choice is...Respect goes a long way--where-ever you live
You fail to mention that Twin Falls is right on I-15 and is a trucking hub, that helps your area

Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 PM

Part of the decimation of rural America is industrial farming, which requires fewer actual people every year

Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Have you ever lived in a rural area?

Crime is rampant in rural america...But they are policed far less than inner cities.
Maybe because they don't need to be policed. Rural American churches work to help those in need.

Your city say "NYC" so how do you know so much about rural America. I can tell you as a fact that the WSJ doesn't have a clue.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Actually, per capita, cities are apparently safer than rural America

Study Shows That Cities Are Safer Than Rural Areas, Despite Crime | TIME.com
I was talking about crime, not accidents involving fireworks, chain-saws, cow-tipping, and drunk-driving.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
I live in rural VT on 26 acres in a small hamlet. We have beautiful views, clean water, clean air, and crime is almost unheard of. Last winter we watched an otter frolicking on the ice on my pond. There is abundant wildlife to be seen year round. A farmer pastures sheep on a couple acres of my property, another hays some acreage. In small places like this, you know people, and are in turn known. People help each other without being asked.

Economically the unemployment rate is very low. The hospital in the shire town of the county yesterday noted how they currently are having a hard time finding the nurses, physicians and other staff to fill the jobs that are available. In fairness though, it is hard for young people to find the kinds of jobs that are available in the cities. Many do leave for the cities for that reason. In turn the city folks with money seem to love buying 2nd homes in rural VT.

At another level, out here in the countryside, there is some amount of mental freedom knowing that we aren't totally dependent upon govt. keeping the infrastructure operational. If the power went out for a prolonged period, the wood stove would keep us warm in the winter (and I always have a couple years supply of wood stacked in the woodshed), the hand pump on my well will yield us unlimited amounts of water that does not need to be filtered, and with septic, the toilets will still work. My 1/3 acre veggie garden, apple orchard, greenhouse, and assorted other fruit trees and berries, in combination with the farms in this hamlet raising beef cows, milk cows, sheep, goats, chickens and such will keep us from starving. Cities would deteriorate badly within a couple days if the infrastructure were taken down for whatever reason, and that risk is growing as terrorism grows.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:59 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You fail to mention that Twin Falls is right on I-15 and is a trucking hub, that helps your area
Huh? Twin Falls is close to I-84--but is hardly a hub. I think there is only one Truck Stop in the area.
We do have a lot of mfg....Chobani, Glambia, Clifbar, Spears, Hilex-Poly..are just a few of the companies in the area. Of course..dairy farming and ranching..farming in general and specific, is still the mainstay of the county.

If you like your stats spread out..Idaho's Unemployment rate is well below national average.

Ahhh..just looked at map..you may be confusing us with Idaho Falls, Id.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times
So what are we supposed to get from this flood of threads on this ? Most of the rural places I know of and visit are doing very well. Are all these threads really about rural areas and trump voters, how did electing Obama help inner cities at all?

Cities like Detroit went bankrupt, the largest municipal bankruptcy filing in U.S. history

Baltimore, Milwaukee, Newark, Camden , South side of Chicago, Flint, St Louis etc all flourished from voting for Obama?

Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Huh? Twin Falls is close to I-84--but is hardly a hub. I think there is only one Truck Stop in the area.
We do have a lot of mfg....Chobani, Glambia, Clifbar, Spears, Hilex-Poly..are just a few of the companies in the area. Of course..dairy farming and ranching..farming in general and specific, is still the mainstay of the county.

If you like your stats spread out..Idaho's Unemployment rate is well below national average.

Ahhh..just looked at map..you may be confusing us with Idaho Falls, Id.
I think I did, but you are close to Jerome, and there is a lot of trucking in Jerome, ID

Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
So what are we supposed to get from this flood of threads on this ? Most of the rural places I know of and visit are doing very well. Are all these threads really about rural areas and trump voters, how did electing Obama help inner cities at all?

Cities like Detroit went bankrupt, the largest municipal bankruptcy filing in U.S. history

Baltimore, Milwaukee, Newark, Camden , South side of Chicago, Flint, St Louis etc all flourished from voting for Obama?
I can tell you most of Phoenix proper (aside from the south and west side problem areas) are doing much better in 2017 than they were in 2009

Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies