Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc

Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,804 times
I grew up in rural Kansas. It wasn't as bad as the inner city.

However, there no way I'd go back to ANY rural place. The top jobs and economic opportunities are in urban centers, be it Houston, Chicago, Charloette, or San Fran and I have zero interest in throwing that away

Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,804 times
I grew up in rural Kansas. It wasn't as bad as the inner city.

However, there no way I'd go back to ANY rural place. The top jobs and economic opportunities are in urban centers, be it Houston, Chicago, Charloette, San Fran, etc and I have zero interest in throwing that away

Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Top 10 US Cities with the highest HIV rate: Top 10 U.S. Cities With Highest Rates of HIV Infections
Thanks for posting that article, although I'm not 100% convinced it's absolutely accurate.

If it is true, I find it interesting that 9 out the 10 cities listed are all below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I prefer the big city because I am a CULTURE VULTURE.

I thrive on art galleries, museums, symphony, opera, night life, film festivals, historic districts, lectures, street fairs, film festivals, skyscrapers, international restaurants, proximity to world class hospitals and medical services, accessibility to an international airport, great shopping, extensive public transportation, etc.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompromat View Post
They went for Trump so it shows the awareness and education levels of folks there, nothing new.
Then we are in agreement that us folks in the boonies are in fact the smart ones!

Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I live in Twin Falls Idaho..Our unemployment rate is 3.3% in a rural town..in a rural county..in a rural State.
There are many seniors..and many families as well. Generations have grown up together, fostering a tight-knit sense of community.
Homelessness is almost unknown..panhandlers a rarity. I can walk anywhere, anytime, without fear.

I was in Seattle recently--downtown the odor of marijuana mixed with the stench of urine wafting from doorways--the homeless were camped right across from the City Hall. People making $10 an hour were living in hovels. I saw a robbery 50 yards away from me. Sirens were wailing at all hours as the random violence went on 24/7.

I'll keep my small town..thanks.

I may be doing you a disservice..but it seems as though your post is intended..in a subtle way...to portray city people as more intelligent, with more class, than their 'county bumpkin' counterparts. Not everyone in rural America voted for Trump..I certainly did not--but I think that the reason many did was because of the attitudes of smugness and false superiority that many 'city' folk buy into.

Their may well be some truth in what you are saying...but I'd put to you that life is full of trade-offs...country vs. city has its share of them.

Whatever one's choice is...Respect goes a long way--where-ever you live
Agreed.

To be fair: when I think "rural"; 5,000 people is the cutoff IMHO if talking a town and people living less than 10 miles from the center it is.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:03 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe because they don't need to be policed. Rural American churches work to help those in need.

Your city say "NYC" so how do you know so much about rural America. I can tell you as a fact that the WSJ doesn't have a clue.
I've lived in 17 states.

But I do primarily reside in NYC.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Have you ever lived in a rural area?

Crime is rampant in rural america...But they are policed far less than inner cities.
I live in a rural area.

The only crime is on the reservation.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:18 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe because they don't need to be policed. Rural American churches work to help those in need.

Your city say "NYC" so how do you know so much about rural America. I can tell you as a fact that the WSJ doesn't have a clue.
It isn't the WSJ. It's based upon statistics. When you compare (1) urban areas, (2) suburbia, (3) medium or small metros and (4) rural, residents in rural areas consistently fare worse.

Quote:
" In terms of poverty, college attainment, teenage births, divorce, death rates from heart disease and cancer, reliance on federal disability insurance and male labor-force participation, rural counties now rank the worst among the four major U.S. population groupings (the others are big cities, suburbs and medium or small metro areas).”

And it's all based on averages. Maybe you live in a rural paradise like Lake Wobegon where all is well and all of the kids' IQ are above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies