Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:04 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Job gains are a good thing no matter which "side" anybody is on. Mocking the numbers demonstrates a real lack of give-a-sh1t about the overall health of our nation in favor of making a stupid point on the internet.

This forum is full of people who would cut off their nose to spite their face as long as it resulted in being right about something.
Where were you these last eight years? Right Wingers came up with all kinds of gyrations to say Obama's numbers were bogus.

Well, we know that answer to that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Where were you these last eight years? Right Wingers came up with all kinds of gyrations to say Obama's numbers were bogus.

Well, we know that answer to that one.
My post could not be ANY more bipartisan and yet LOOK at the feathers it's ruffled. Where was I the past eight years? Shaking my head at the right wingers who nitpicked and tore down job gains, that's where.

Job gains are good. Always good. It's so simple a caveman could absorb it.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:43 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
My post could not be ANY more bipartisan and yet LOOK at the feathers it's ruffled. Where was I the past eight years? Shaking my head at the right wingers who nitpicked and tore down job gains, that's where.

Job gains are good. Always good. It's so simple a caveman could absorb it.
470,000 people LEFT the job market driving down our participation rates to 62.7% down 0.2% this month.

new jobs are cool, but they are not really real. the total number of americans with jobs FELL last month , it did not go up. read the numbers. BLS is not hard to find.

I believe things are relatively better in the last few years, but we really need to improve the quality of the jobs, and the benefits to make them worthwhile and to make peoples lives better. they get one life, why should they work just to make rent etc.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:52 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
470,000 people LEFT the job market driving down our participation rates to 62.7% down 0.2% this month.

new jobs are cool, but they are not really real. the total number of americans with jobs FELL last month , it did not go up. read the numbers. BLS is not hard to find.

I believe things are relatively better in the last few years, but we really need to improve the quality of the jobs, and the benefits to make them worthwhile and to make peoples lives better. they get one life, why should they work just to make rent etc.
There are a variety of reasons why people leave the job market. In order to comment on that figure, a better analysis and breakdown is necessary. How many of those 470k retired? Fell ill? Left vountarily? Had positions which became obsolete? Were fired/laid off? Is there any documented data that you know of that breaks that number down to those specifics?

I agree with you about quality of employment overall and the need for reality-based income minimums. I also believe that the best answer lies somewhere in-between the classic liberal and conservative approaches to either throwing money at the problem, or laughing at the folly of the poor.

But back to the topic at hand ... job gains are job gains. They're nothing to scoff at. It's a very basic truth.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Back Down View Post
U.S. unemployment hits lowest level since 2001 - Jun. 2, 2017

U.S. unemployment hits lowest level since 2001
Americans are earning more as well as wages continued to pick up
Coal mines added 400 jobs in May. Manufacturing lost 1,000 jobs and construction gained 11,000 new employees. Health care and business services led the way in May, adding 24,000 and 38,000 jobs respectively.

Just horrible!

Don't worry, those numbers are fake. Just go back and read any post about the unemployment rate during Obama's terms.

Now, to be fair, they DID change how the rate was calculated not that long ago - to the best of my knowledge it has not changed again since then, however. So, if the books were cooked then, they're still cooked now.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Don't worry, those numbers are fake. Just go back and read any post about the unemployment rate during Obama's terms.

Now, to be fair, they DID change how the rate was calculated not that long ago - to the best of my knowledge it has not changed again since then, however. So, if the books were cooked then, they're still cooked now.
I think the last significant change to the calculation was done over 20 years ago. The revision provided more insight to employment.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:10 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
138,000. That sounds like a lot. Go U.S.A.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
138,000. That sounds like a lot. Go U.S.A.
Its barely enough to keep pace with those entering the work force. Its well below the pace of the last 12 months as have been the last several months.

In my opinion its too early to say there is a new trend, but there are definite indications that the growth of jobs may have slowed. Call it an early warning.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
High on life, and loving what's happening in The White House. He's doing pretty much everything he promised he would do on the campaign. He keeps on delivering on those things, or at least appear like he's doing them, only to be denied by Democrats, he will energize his voters in 2020.....and that's all that matters.

He has to make the lives of his supporters better.

MAGA
As I said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your hangover is waiting.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
The next 6 months are going to be tough as there is a giant retraction in retail jobs.

Trump is not to blame for that. But the job lose from retail is going to be about 500,000 in that time. The net job gains is probably going to overshadow that, but in July, you could see a net job gain of less than 50,000 for the country because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies