Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Amazon Prime membership is a "need"?

I purchase from Amazon and never purchased the Prime membership. It's not a need.

I also don't see how someone else getting a discount means that it's at your expense. It just doesn't add up. Their discount doesn't mean you pay more. It doesn't mean you are subsidizing for their prime membership.
No Amazon prime isn't a need.... I clip coupons for my groceries, track my savings, pay for my prime membership with the money I've saved so I don't have to go out to purchase other items I want. Once again...it's not a discount. It's a fee. And you must have a SNAP card to get it. Just like the free phone ads I get in the mail all the time.... "Get a Free phone....must have SNAP to receive it." These businesses are there to make money, and if someone is getting something for free....someone else is paying for it... We are subsidizing their membership, some way or another......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 12:44 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
No Amazon prime isn't a need.... I clip coupons for my groceries, track my savings, pay for my prime membership with the money I've saved so I don't have to go out to purchase other items I want. Once again...it's not a discount. It's a fee. And you must have a SNAP card to get it. Just like the free phone ads I get in the mail all the time.... "Get a Free phone....must have SNAP to receive it." These businesses are there to make money, and if someone is getting something for free....someone else is paying for it... We are subsidizing their membership, some way or another......
Amazon giving this discount has zero effect on your bottom line. Period. It doesn't take anything from you. No matter what, what it comes down to is you complaining about a benefit given by a company to others that literally costs you nothing.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:47 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Calm down, you aren't subsidizing anything. Again, Amazon's total revenues for 2016 was $136 billion, and it's only going up. The dollar amount this program will cost the company is probably so minuscule in Amazon's big picture it probably won't even show up in their financial reporting. No one is taking anything away from you by offering a small perk to the less fortunate.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Exactly. There are many here who apparently believe the working poor are living the good life. Which only goes to show they know of no working poor. I do, and trust me, no one here would trade their life for theirs. It's a slow, hard, exhausting, never-ending grind just to keep your head above water on a daily basis.

But oh, horror! They're being offered a little perk that people who aren't in need of aren't being offered. It's not FAIR!!

Shameful.

And you realize there are working poor who are not receiving food stamps. There are those who are just a dollar or two above that line that are struggling just as much as those on food stamps going at that never-ending grind just keeping their head above water.

Amazon said now that more than 70% of the hh earning more than $112,000 are prime members they are tuning their attention to the rest of the world.
There is quite a big span of those in need between food stamps and $112,000/year.
Stop pretending this is an altruistic move on Amazons behalf. Its just greed.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
We're not jealous of the poor. Neither are we unsympathetic to their needs. We are however, tapped out from paying for their needs often times at the expense of our own families needs...... Sure is funny, I never see very many pulling out a wad of coupons at the grocery like I do..........
Coupons. I typically use mine for paper towels, cleaning products, detergent and fabric softener, things like that - since you don't see coupons for meat, cheese, vegetables, fresh fruits or milk usually.

I would imagine they don't use the coupons ( in many cases ) because they aren't allowed to buy detergent or toothpaste with a food card.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And you realize there are working poor who are not receiving food stamps. There are those who are just a dollar or two above that line that are struggling just as much as those on food stamps going at that never-ending grind just keeping their head above water.
If you are advocating that the food stamp program be expanded to include those who continue to struggle and are right on the line, I won't argue with you. My sister did what she was supposed to do, she went out and got a better, higher paying job, just like everyone always advocates. It gave her a net after taxes of about $25 additional dollars a month, and for that her food stamp allotment was cut by $60 a month, so net/net she is worse off than she was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Amazon said now that more than 70% of the hh earning more than $112,000 are prime members they are tuning their attention to the rest of the world.
There is quite a big span of those in need between food stamps and $112,000/year.
Stop pretending this is an altruistic move on Amazons behalf. Its just greed.
Amazon is in business to make money. No one is denying that. But if in the course of doing business they are able to offer a small benefit to the less fortunate, why are you so dead set against that? It costs YOU nothing. It just seems mean-spirited.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
Calm down, you aren't subsidizing anything. Again, Amazon's total revenues for 2016 was $136 billion, and it's only going up. The dollar amount this program will cost the company is probably so minuscule in Amazon's big picture it probably won't even show up in their financial reporting. No one is taking anything away from you by offering a small perk to the less fortunate.
It just doesn't sit right with many conservatives that businesses, let alone our government, offer a discount or help any low income person. After all they might be tempted to vote for the Dems...

Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep, and at such a small difference in the Prime annual fee, as a frequent Amazon buyer/downloader/streamer myself, I have no problem with those who are less able to pay getting a Prime membership discount of $60 per year, or whatever.
Its not even that much of a discount. Prime is $99 a year. With this discount, people will be paying $71.88 a year. Its less then $30 cheaper a year.

And it's really not anything new. Amazon has always given students a discount. I pay $49 a year for Prime.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:10 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
If you are advocating that the food stamp program be expanded to include those who continue to struggle and are right on the line, I won't argue with you. My sister did what she was supposed to do, she went out and got a better, higher paying job, just like everyone always advocates. It gave her a net after taxes of about $25 additional dollars a month, and for that her food stamp allotment was cut by $60 a month, so net/net she is worse off than she was before.

Amazon is in business to make money. No one is denying that. But if in the course of doing business they are able to offer a small benefit to the less fortunate, why are you so dead set against that? It costs YOU nothing. It just seems mean-spirited.
I realize it costs me nothing more than I've all ready spent. If Amazon was discounting the food...fine. If Amazon was discounting certain needed items...fine. But Amazon isn't discounting the actual item....Amazon is lowering the FEE for certain people who if they can afford that fee to begin with most likely should be paying for their own food. That is the issue. Either you can pay for your own food or you can't. If you can't then you shouldn't be getting Amazon prime. I need a new car but my budget says I can't afford it. If I go get on SNAP and thus save my grocery money can I go get one now? Sure..if the taxpayers are paying my food..maybe Amazon will start selling cars soon......

Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Welcome aboard the Walmart train. Better prices, easier return policy.
Nota omwast anymore as it was. Better download their app and scan the receipt as otherwise they are not so easy as they used to be. It even for their own brand that nobody else sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies