Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
LOL, I don't read many threads started by conservatives bemoaning the discrimination gays face or discrimination over race (unless it's the white race). But anyone or any group offering to help the less fortunate, now there's a real problem that needs to be complained about!

The thought that businesses might offer senior discounts must keep you up at night...
Yep if Amazon were offering to help the less fortunate but thats not what their intent is. Says so in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
So all the people who dislike this: What do we do about it? Implement government regulations and use force to tell a private businesses what incentives they can and cannot offer to try to increase their subscribing customer base? Cause I would not have pegged a lot of the people who seem pi$$ed off by this as rabid anti-capitalists, and I am pretty sure many of the people pi$$ed off by this view themselves as free market advocates.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep if Amazon were offering to help the less fortunate but thats not what their intent is. Says so in the article.
Intent is meaningless. Does it save the customer money? The answer is yes. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Can't have them lowering prices and attracting customers. What is wrong with Amazon in that they are doing good things for their customer base? Don't they know we want to pay more for things?
A quality product for a fair price, that is what matters.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
You realize your still paying shipping charges. If you look at the same item with prime and without prime the one with prime will be higher in price roughly to the same amount the non prime item charges for shipping plus your paying a 99$ yearly fee.
Not exactly, I decided the try this out just now. I picked a random item on a browser that was signed into amazon prime, and opened another browser where I wasn't. I looked up the same item. Both were the exact same price EXCEPT, the prime one came with free shipping whereas the non prime one didn't. According to your statement, this shouldn't be happening, yet here we are. Top pic is non prime and the bottom pic is prime.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon decides to offer cheaper prime membership-img_3842.jpg  

Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So all the people who dislike this: What do we do about it? Implement government regulations and use force to tell a private businesses what incentives they can and cannot offer to try to increase their subscribing customer base? Cause I would not have pegged a lot of the people who seem pi$$ed off by this as rabid anti-capitalists, and I am pretty sure many of the people pi$$ed off by this view themselves as free market advocates.
The people who are pissed off in this thread are pissed because those lucky poor people are getting a little discount that they aren't eligible for. Seriously, that's what this is all about. They are being discriminated against, don't you know, because poor people are lucky enough to be so poor they qualify for a little price break. And that's it in a nutshell.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 PM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
The less fortunate will benefit from this change and at the same time it'll increase profits in the long term. Why is their 'intent' to help the less fortunate and turn a profit a problem with conservatives? I thought greed was good...

Old 06-08-2017, 02:53 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Maybe, sure assuming they are also low income and cant afford Amazon Prime or any other subsidized program that helps them with shopping. Just being a senior or just being disabled isn't a legitimate need for Prime.
Do you feel the same way about Prime Student? $49 for anyone with a *.edu email address or other proof of being a student

Quote:
No. Has nothing to do with being rough and who said there were no limitations of any kind.
Just because one is capable of supporting themselves and doing slightly better financially doesn't make rewarding those who put forth little or no effort right or comforting. In fact it gives people less incentive to put forth that effort. Why get an education or learn a trade so you can work and make 100$ more than the one who doesn't and gets subsidies. This is one reason we are seeing increasing numbers on assistance.
YEAH. You worked so hard to afford that $100, so someone on a fixed income should totally be relegated to whatever they can find within their capable travel distance and accessibility rather than be given the chance to enjoy having fresh food and produce come to them.

There was a thread about a crazy family with 4 generations of disability going on. Imagine how much money they'd have been able to save on furniture if they would have been able to order stuff like this instead of relying on the delivery services of a Rent-A-Center due to their car not being big enough to transport one.

Wanna cut down on welfare abuse? Give them more options to save money on the things they need.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:32 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
You realize your still paying shipping charges. If you look at the same item with prime and without prime the one with prime will be higher in price roughly to the same amount the non prime item charges for shipping plus your paying a 99$ yearly fee.
I've tried checking with and without Prime and the difference isn't that much, maybe $1 or so. And that's with regular shipping, not 2 day Prime shipping.

For me, it's worth it. /shrug

Old 06-08-2017, 03:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Figures, while the rest of us pay full ticket price, they get yet another subsidy or cut for the same service we pay for.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Such victimization of the fortunate. Oh, the humanity.

[\sarcasm]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies