Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Did illegal Russians vote in this election? I don't recall this being an issue.
We don't know yet the Russian investigation isn't completed yet. Isn't that what the left keeps saying ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 05:34 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
you have to marvel at the irony of the situation: witch hunt by dems regarding Russia interfering with the election, while they openly block any kind of voter ID to keep illegal voters out. classic.
Witch hunt? Is Kenneth Starr back?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I just posted this in the 'sticky' thread, but will add it here:

I may as well add my thoughts, such as they are.

Some people believe that when President Trump asked Mr. Comey if he, Trump, was the subject of an investigation, and Mr. Comey replied "No", that this meant that Mr. Trump was 'exonerated'.

However, one must note that Mr. Comey seems to always refer to the "Russian investigation". At no time, at least as I have read, was it ever (at least, by proper authorities) referred to as an investigation into Donald JOHN Trump.

In other words, it was an incorrect question by President Trump. It was too narrow, and so Mr. Comey could truthfully answer "No".

Let us be clear: what the FBI, and Mr. Mueller, are investigating is whether Russia was responsible for certain actions, including: hacking into the DNC computer and the computer of Mr. Podesta; sending the stolen emails to Wikileaks; whether Russia attempted to break into computers that tabulated votes; and, of course, whether any member of Mr. Trump's campaign team had 1) contact with the Russians during the campaign; and 2) if so, what was the subject of the contact; and finally 3) did Wikileaks coordination the release of the stolen emails with any member of the Trump campaign.

Even if I were to accept everything that Mr. Comey said today as being 'true', to my mind it does not warrant impeachment proceedings. Simply asking Mr. Comey if he can't 'help out' Mr. Flynn, or however it was stated by Mr. Trump, does not, in my mind, arise to impeachment level.

Even the fact that President Trump 'fired' Mr. Comey does not move me much. The President has the right to fire the Director of the FBI. It 'looks bad', but such is not a basis for impeachment. It certainly 'looked bad' when President Nixon fired the special prosecutor during the infamous "Saturday Night Massacre".

Yet, even then, the Democratically-controlled House, while 'outraged', did not, if I recall, start serious impeachment proceedings (I have no doubt some suggested it, but Mr. Nixon was, again, within his right to fire Mr. Cox, if I recall the name right).

What brought Mr. Nixon down was this: he conspired to 'obstruct justice' with his own staff, including the Chief of Staff, White House Counsel, Chief Advisor, and others.

Think on that.

Then, think of this: Mr. Nixon was 'brought down' by virtue of his automatic recording system (voice activated), which picked up the conversations Mr. Nixon had with his staff concerning the coverup of the Watergate incident.

Mr. Nixon was known for certain traits of personality. Two were: loyalty and paranoia. Sound familiar?

Now, back in 1974 we did not have cell phones, much less 'smart' phones. It seems that a large percentage of our population now have these devices which, with a touch of a button, can video and/or record audio. A touch of a button. Another touch, and it can be broadcasted on Youtube or such.

This is what I predict, for what it is worth: if President Trump gets in trouble for 'obstruction of justice', it will not be due to a 'he said he said' situation, such as with Mr. Comey. Rather, it will be because one, or more, members of his staff (Bannon, etc) secretly recorded their conversations with President Trump, and said recordings are discovered (a la Nixon) and subpoenaed by a House or Senate committee. Or, said person is worried that he or she is about to be 'tossed under the bus' by Mr. Trump. Hmm.

I will again note this about 'impeachment': I am of the opinion that a President cannot be impeached for activities he may have engaged in prior to taking the oath of office. Even if it were absolutely proven that Mr. Trump, himself, or members of his staff at Mr. Trump's direction, were in contact with the Russians concerning the release of those stolen emails (such as, the day after Mr. Trump accepted the Republican nomination), that would still not, in my legal mind, be an impeachable offense. Perhaps 'treason' can be a basis, but nothing else.

So, to me, IF Mr. Trump and/or his campaign staff 'colluded' with the Russians during the election, I think Mr. Trump is 'free and clear' (unless treason is shown, a high bar indeed).

However, recall that Mr. Nixon did not order the break-in of the DNC headquarters at the Watergate Hotel. Yet, when he learned of it, he conspired, as President, to protect those that were engaged in that activity, leading to his resignation.

Thus in a nutshell: Mr. Trump, as candidate, may have been utterly unaware of what was transpiring between his staff and Russian operatives. Yet, upon finding out, as President, Mr. Trump may have spoken with Mr. Bannon and others about how best to hide the activity, to protect the people that did engage in such activity, such as, for example, Mr. Flynn.

Donald JOHN Trump is noted as being 'loyal' (although not to a fault) and rather suspicious or paranoid. I think the parallels with Mr. Nixon are striking.

Those of you whom claim that today 'exonerated' Mr. Trump, may want to chew on my words. I may not be right, but I may not be wrong.
We'll Put, this isn't over.

How ever it may turn out, something smells funny. Laws can be investigated because of suspicious conduct to piece together the trail of facts.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
More denial by the ignorant. The Russian interference in the US election was real. It is not a fake scandal.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:41 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,168 times
Donald Trump, you're up to your eyeballs in shiet, but worry not. You will not be impeached! Why? For no other reason than the fact that you're Rich, Old and White (ROW). Nothing ever happens to ROWs. You will ride this one out. You will come out on top. Your followers will continue defending you. You will be POTUS for 8 years.

The End!

11,988 posts, read 5,291,593 times
Baghdad Bob couldn't match some of our cultists for "spinnability".

They make him sound like a pessimist, as well as a master of understatement.

6,193 posts, read 5,367,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
More denial by the ignorant. The Russian interference in the US election was real. It is not a fake scandal.
And yet, NO PROOF.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,019 times
Comey lied under oath in May to Senator Grassley that he "leaked" nothing to the press....his own statement today proves he did. He's in danger, not Trump.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You should have told Trump that. Now he needs to find someone that will be loyal to him.
Uh, Okay.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM

45,345 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
you know this is your perception based on your bias right?
I've found that train runs in both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies