Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
And all of this is relevant to this p*ick in the oval office how??
This thread is about Bernie Sanders.

Plenty of threads here about President Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:14 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you lose a lot of money in business that is the way it works and the way it should work.

Suppose I lose a million dollars in one year and profit a million dollars the next year, if the government were to tax me at 30% on my profit in the second year I'm still $300K in the hole. If I were to profit a million dollars the next year that is where you would tax it because I have generated profit that is no longer needed to cover losses.

This is sound tax policy unless you want to bankrupt companies on shaky ground and/or kill off risky ventures in business that often produce huge tax revenues in the long run.
That last part sounds like the 'set up' & 'recipe' for the next financial imbroglio. Combine the STBTF (still too big to fail & arguably even bigger) with the still existent systemic problems including systemic moral hazards along with the 'rationale' for reductions in common sense regulations ... Voila!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
At least he/they are paying taxes! And he isn't an a$$hole capitalist egotistical dictator.
Quote:
And all of this is relevant to this p*ick in the oval office how??
Are you capable of having discussions here without the profanity? Not only is it against C-D's TOS, it's just plain rude.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok... but at 55%???
That figure is exorbitant. On that we can agree.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
I don't believe in an estate tax on anyone at any income level.

The money was already taxed when it was earned. Period, end of story.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:58 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Inheritance is not income.

If a living person gives you a cash or a car you didn't have before you don't pay tax on that. The giver may have to file a gift tax form.

Estate tax is always wrong.
The estate tax is a type of gift tax, then?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Same difference to the tax man, those assets can be liquidated and that is how they look at it, so it is the total Value that matters.
Liquidating assets results can result in lowered value.

Those assets are reported at Market Value, but Market Value does not equal Liquidation Value and certainly wouldn't equal Salvage Value.

In any event, you can't exactly go through McDonald's drive-thru and pay with a jar of soil from your Real Estate or tear off a piece of your Stocks or Bonds to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Because wealth perpetuates wealth.
So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
We don't need Noble families living in the US similar Europe of the 19th century (like the Kennedys or Hursts or many others) that use their money to buy influence and to pass regulations favorable to them and bad for everyone else when we are continuing to run huge deficits.
Then enact a Constitutional Amendment which states:

Only those persons eligible to vote for a candidate or ballot issue may contribute money to a candidate or ballot issue.

Their influence would be severely limited.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:09 PM

727 posts, read 390,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
It seems to me that Bernie Sanders asked a very good question, but never got an adequate response. So I'm curious to hear some good Conservative responses. Why should we repeal the estate tax?
Let me try...
We need to stop taxing the uber rich. If we put more money in their hands they will create millions of living wage jobs, provide health care for their employees along with paid vacations and other great perks, just like the old days.

Already we've seen the effect.

Stocks are soaring. We're building more megayachts than ever before. Sales of Ferraris and Bentleys and Rolls Royces have hit an all time high. America is in it's Golden Age!

Old 06-10-2017, 05:52 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times
When will Bernie Sanders go away?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:06 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
This tax has no relation on the Waltons. You think any of their money will be taxable on death? Their wealth is all in blind, generation skipping and charitable tax avoidance trusts. The govt won't see a penny tax or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies