Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so its ok to rob people if those people aren't in ones own demographic?
One last time for the slow readers here, I am against the Estate Tax. That clear enough for you, if not do not reply, I will not reply to people that simply make up crap they think I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
So it would seem that a quick summary of the first 4 responses would be: Yes, cut the estate tax. The super-rich should keep their money no matter what impact it has on the rest of society because, as a matter of basic principle, the money is theirs, plain and simple.

It seems to follow from this basic principle that property rights are worth more than human life. E.g., If a child is dying, you would not forcibly take anything from a rich person, even if it were absolutely the only option available to save the child because, in principle, the rich person's property rights are a higher priority than the child's life. Is that essentially correct?
why not get rid of the income tax, the estate tax, the luxury taxes, and the corporate tax...and replace it with a consumption tax...???

liberals will say no...why, because then they lose control, they lose the boogie-man of the rich don't pay enough taxes

nearly 50% of incomes is not reported....that's nearly 9 trillion in taxable income....time to get rid of the income tax

a consumption tax like explained at www.fair-tax.org can bring in as much as 5 trillion in revenue to the federal government....and its fair, unlike the current system

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
While I do disagree with estate taxes, a form of double taxation at its worst, I would add that giving tax breaks to the rich while not giving the middle class a tax break tells one all they need to know about who the Repubs and Trump actually support.
No such thing as tax cuts for the rich.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:46 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
No, but only big estates, the rich, are affected, by the tax, go to the IRS website and learn. I said I was against it, did you miss that? Oh and I went through that last year, did not hurt me in the lease bit because the estate was not all that much per the IRS.

Not necessarily, as I read it here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleae.../#2dc87c313b70

the tax impacts any estate over $5.49 million (or roughly $11 million per couple). Those aren't "only big estates, the rich" as was pointed out earlier in this thread.

The article also says that which state you live in could be a problem too...so Bernie should not worry about what the Big Bad Feds are doing so much and take a closer look at the states.

Last edited by lunetunelover; 06-09-2017 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
To all the people defending these large inheritances not being taxed, it leads to people like Paris Hilton, who then don't have to try to contribute to society because they inherited a ton of money. I find it similar to the aristocracy in the UK

Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Explain why what someone has worked for their entire life should go to the government upon their death. That wealth has already been taxed.
It shouldn't. But whoever inherits it should pay taxes on it. They didn't earn it.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Have they? For the most part you may be correct but I believe trump is proud of the fact that he is not paying any taxes on his personal income.
If you lose a lot of money in business that is the way it works and the way it should work.

Suppose I lose a million dollars in one year and profit a million dollars the next year, if the government were to tax me at 30% on my profit in the second year I'm still $300K in the hole. If I were to profit a million dollars the next year that is where you would tax it because I have generated profit that is no longer needed to cover losses.

This is sound tax policy unless you want to bankrupt companies on shaky ground and/or kill off risky ventures in business that often produce huge tax revenues in the long run.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No such thing as tax cuts for the rich.
How exactly would you know that because it ain't from personal experience.

There IS a such thing as tax cuts for the rich. I don't know where you got that nonsense from.

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It shouldn't. But whoever inherits it should pay taxes on it. They didn't earn it.
But the government earned it.....

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
To all the people defending these large inheritances not being taxed, it leads to people like Paris Hilton, who then don't have to try to contribute to society because they inherited a ton of money. I find it similar to the aristocracy in the UK

You think wealthy people don't contribute to society? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies