Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How about "no one worse off"? That's called capitalism.
Capitalism does not benefit everyone. There are things in capitalism that are zero sum, like housing, people's biggest expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:20 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How exactly would you know that because it ain't from personal experience.

There IS a such thing as tax cuts for the rich. I don't know where you got that nonsense from.
Only from those that don't have what the haves have.

The rich pay more taxes thus they get a tax cut corresponding to what they earn. Deadbeats get no tax cuts because they pay no taxes.

See how it works?

No such thing as tax cuts for the rich.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Explain why what someone has worked for their entire life should go to the government upon their death. That wealth has already been taxed.
Here's why: it's to prevent the formation of a permanent aristocracy.

I'm all for eliminating the estate tax below certain limits (no tax on say the first 100k). But we need an estate tax to prevent concentration of wealth at the top, said wealth concentration undermines democracy (as we have seen in the last 30 years).

Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
For a total estate? No, it's not. I'll refer you to post #2 to see why it isn't. Hint: include all property, houses, land, cars, furnishings, stocks, bonds, bank accounts, insurance policies, etc, etc. Anything of intrinsic value.
You really are going there, ok, being that I understand how this works having done it is 2016, I will remind you that all those properties can and often are liquidated for the cash value, the value is what matters. You have a different definition of rich than the vast majority of Americans.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
then we have no issue and we can blame my question on my inability to read correctly.
I humbly apologize. I was wrong.
Accepted.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,311 times
Quote:

Nonsense. 5-11 million dollars is unfathomable in most of this country. That's wealthy, rich, or whatever you wanna call it.

That ain't well to do by any stretch of the imagination.
That's the estate of your average successful businessperson in NY or CA.

You'll be wanting to get out a bit more, for the purpose of expanding your intellectual horizons.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Here's why: it's to prevent the formation of a permanent aristocracy.
You support this kind of retributive redistribution, this use of government coercion in service of some nebulous social engineering goal, and you see it as righteous and just that the government gets to create these laws, use force to enforce them, and reap the financial rewards from them? You think concentrating such power in this institution is the way we ought to go?

You have a lot more faith in and reverence for the government than I.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Only from those that don't have what the haves have.

The rich pay more taxes thus they get a tax cut corresponding to what they earn. Deadbeats get no tax cuts because they pay no taxes.

See how it works?

No such thing as tax cuts for the rich.
You don't have what the haves have. So what?

The point is that there is a such thing as tax cuts for the wealthy. Period, point blank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I didn't say that, death should not be a reason for it.
It's not just death. It's the transfer of the wealth to people that DID NOT earn it and have not paid taxes on it themselves.

It's enough that EARNED money gets taxed, but now you want UNEARNED money to forego taxation? That's flat out asinine!

Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
It seems to me that Bernie Sanders asked a very good question, but never got an adequate response. So I'm curious to hear some good Conservative responses. Why should we repeal the estate tax? I'm assuming that you don't want to raise the National Debt even further, so the billions of dollars in revenue that are lost will have to be gained back in some other way, presumably budget cuts in other areas, as Sanders indicates - or, somehow, the tax cuts to the wealthy are supposed to generate extra revenue?

"The wealthiest family in America gets a $52 billion tax break as a result of the repeal of the estate tax," Sanders said.

"That's correct," Mulvaney said.

"Tell the American people why you think that's good when you cut Medicaid and programs for kids?" Sander said.

https://patch.com/us/white-house/ber...tate-tax-watch
The question is why you feel you are entitled to other people's money.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
It's not just death. It's the transfer of the wealth to people that DID NOT earn it and have not paid taxes on it themselves.
If I'm the person who is dead should in not be my choice who it is that has earned what I have acquired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies