Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,177,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That's a good way to get the top students bullied. Not a great idea.
That didn't happen. It was the low scorers who were laughed at and ostracized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,570,677 times
My kid goes to one of the best private schools in the country...they have no class rank.

So much for the op.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,298,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My kid goes to one of the best private schools in the country...they have no class rank.

So much for the op.
My kids go to an independent private & my oldest just graduated.

No class rank, no valedictorian, no salutatorian. The senior class votes for a "class speaker" to give a speech at graduation.

I don't know if that's always been the tradition, but it was when I graduated from the same school a few decades ago & as well as when a family member of mine graduated from the school 20 years before that.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,394,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That didn't happen. It was the low scorers who were laughed at and ostracized.
Seems someone doesn't understand the long term damage this does.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 AM

12,092 posts, read 6,632,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

More importantly though, there's a perfectly good education to be had at public school if the child wants to accept it.
Really??. Then why is America rated so low internationally in math, science, etc?
http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-...skills-2016-12

We recently took an 11 point drop in math scores internationally.

Last edited by mountainrose; 06-16-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,028,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Really??. Then why is American almost at the bottom internationally in math, science, etc?
My son went to a middle of the road public high school and skipped his freshman year at one of the country's top five engineering schools. It's the quality of the student, not school, that matters most.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 AM

45,350 posts, read 26,613,127 times
Private school? And miss out on having the government education drilled into their noggin? Sounds like child abuse

Old 06-16-2017, 06:04 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,799,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You mean "other" stuff like languages, literature, music, art, technology, and science? Uh-oh, can't allow that left-wing stuff in, can you? You might even call including it having "an agenda", right??

They do all that too. Them kids speak Spanish pretty well, they go to theater plays down at UT all the time. Art... are you kidding. They do all kinds of stuff and crafts. Are far as Science goes, pooling there money they rent a lab at the community college, or UT if something big, for a day of the week. There are many places they go to learn stuff and they are always going to the creeks, rivers and lakes for the day of class. They all went to West Texas to the space observatory in the Davis Mountains, to look at the stars. They even have athletics opportunities and can even play on the local HS teams(Texas law).

Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,394,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Really??. Then why is American rated so low internationally in math, science, etc?
There are millions of kids that get an excellent education at public schools. Just because there are some very poorly run (for many reasons) systems that doesn't negate the education the others get.

A students experience is not one thing. We have two private schools around here. Catholic and Christian. Neither would meet the needs of my daughter. She plans on pursuing music education (with a minor in English) to become a teacher. The music program in both of the private schools suck. Almost non existent.

She plays the clarinet in the marching band. The bass clarinet in the regular band. The marimba in the percussion ensemble and the bass guitar in the jazz band. As a 10th grader she was invited to play at Glenville State College (where her mom went) in their high school honors band program.

Generalizations suck. Some systems are bad. Many, many others are not. This goes for private also.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:20 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,825,962 times
Some would say sending your kids to private school is not exposing them to the real world and keeping them sheltered.

I went to catholic school for 12 years. Public schools were not great in my area. My son goes to public school and the curriculum is way more rigorous than mine was in private school. Some of that may be the times. For all the talk about slipping academic standards, that has not been my experience at all. He's already taken 2 years of HS math and 1 of science and he's in 8th grade. The state tests required for a high school diploma are now much harder than when I was in school as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies