Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,190,445 times

Advertisements

And some people put their kids in private schools for safety reasons. And other people put their monster in private schools because their kid needs to be straightened out. The good thing about private schools, in my opinion, is they can be picky. As they told someone I know who had their troublesome monster in a private school with a waiting list, "If you don't like the way we do things here, you can take her out," or something equivalent to "Don't let the screen door hit your a** on the way out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 AM

26,212 posts, read 22,382,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My son went to a middle of the road public high school and skipped his freshman year at one of the country's top five engineering schools. It's the quality of the student, not school, that matters most.
Not really. Here, 2 blocks from the state teaching college, the elementary school ranks 3 out of 10. The issue here is that many children do not speak English which takes so much extra time by the teacher that the teacher cannot cover what she needs to be teaching to the class as a whole.

I support homeschooling. So many reasons to make that choice. I know here many do send their children to private school to avoid the public schools. A child sitting in a classroom where most of the time is spent either on non-English speaking children or problem behaviors is going to be at a great disadvantage.

A child would probably be better off being unschooled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling than sitting there while a teacher goes over material again and again for those that cannot get it, spends much of their time working with non-English speaking students or deals with behavioral problems.

The quality of the student in a poor educational environment won't be what makes the difference.

Not rewarding excellence makes for a mediocre society.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM

5,311 posts, read 2,372,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Yeah, and you can indoctrinate 'em right there at home, too!
As if government schools don't indoctrinate them...

Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,544,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
As if government schools don't indoctrinate them...
Speaking of indoctrination i wonder what the ops kids think of liberals.
Out of curiosity whats a ball park figure of what it costs to send a kid to private school?

Old 06-16-2017, 07:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,639,535 times
I went to Public school from Grades 1-3 and then to Private school for grades 4-6. I much preferred the private school because it was so much smaller, newer, etc but it only went up to 6th grade. Returning to public school in Alabama at Grade 7 was a complete and total shock to my system.

BUT - it depends on the private school. There are good private schools and privates that complete under perform.

My son went to a public school in a location known for great public schools. He loved it.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 AM

5,746 posts, read 2,800,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not really. Here, 2 blocks from the state teaching college, the elementary school ranks 3 out of 10. The issue here is that many children do not speak English which takes so much extra time by the teacher that the teacher cannot cover what she needs to be teaching to the class as a whole.

I support homeschooling. So many reasons to make that choice. I know here many do send their children to private school to avoid the public schools. A child sitting in a classroom where most of the time is spent either on non-English speaking children or problem behaviors is going to be at a great disadvantage.

A child would probably be better off being unschooled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling than sitting there while a teacher goes over material again and again for those that cannot get it, spends much of their time working with non-English speaking students or deals with behavioral problems.

The quality of the student in a poor educational environment won't be what makes the difference.

Not rewarding excellence makes for a mediocre society.
No surprise there since you live in Kansas where the Kansas Supreme Court found that schools are being underfunded in violation of the state constitution . Another brownback tax miracle.

more than anything else it is the life at home which will determine a child's success in education, and life. All the people I know who home school their kids do so for political or religious indoctrination

Old 06-16-2017, 07:44 AM

17,056 posts, read 12,671,313 times
Glad you can afford $6K grades 1 to 8 and $14K in high school per year x 5 kids. Not typical tho. Not poor enough for discounts. Not rich enough to afford.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 AM

68,395 posts, read 54,679,192 times
Another reason to send your children to private school

I don't see the private schooled Donald Trump as presenting much of a reason for that at all.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:51 AM

39,504 posts, read 27,866,369 times
Good thread.

In my case, my grandparents and my parents believed sending me to a private religious school was the best foundation for my education.

I have had some interesting experience, but school was never "my thing." I think it really depends on the child. I have a lot of skilled blue collar worker friends who never went to college; I think they are extremely successful and intelligent.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:08 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,184,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Wow, why not just make 'em wear dunce caps and stand in the corner? How extremely stupid and punitive that clueless teacher was. Did none of the parents object? Different times, indeed.

It's one thing to recognize and praise academic achievement, but what you describe was cruel and demeaning and a good way to ensure that the low-scorers would resent everything there was about school and learning and check out as soon as they could.
The teacher never got in trouble for it, at least not that I'm aware of. One of my friends flunked a test once and ended up on the floor for it, but she told me she wouldn't even bother telling her parents, because they'd only punish her for failing the test and say she deserved to be shamed for it.

That was just how it was at my school. Parents almost always tools the teachers' sides, from what I saw during parent-teacher conferences when working as a teacher's aid after school for a quarter.

And honestly, it really wasn't that long ago. This was in the 00s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies