Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 05:18 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Purely my observations as an old woman. My Dad, Uncle, FIL all fought in WW2. They were shot at, wounded (FIL in the head), and had to kill others in combat. None of them wanted anything more to do with guns when their service was over.

I've know Nam Combat Vets also. Same with them. In fact they were the most vocal against the war back then.

Iraq and Afganistan Vets also among my coworkers and children's friends. Totally against guns and warfare. One Vet, two tours of Iraq, who wanted to be a LEO before serving, is now EXTREMELY Liberal and teaching English in Asia. He has said he never wants to see another weapon in his life.

Pattern? Armchair Warriors are those who want their guns. They have never been shot at, seen their Buddies (or others) killed right before them, or had to actually shoot someone else DEAD.

Talking to my BIL who witnessed a mob shooting as a child and his Dad throwing him under a restaurant table, we both have the same attitude towards guns. We want nothing to do with them having seen people's blood and guts splattered around us as children. How many of YOU gun supporters have seen that? I relived my own experience as a child after Sandy Hook with nightmares. Those poor, poor children. I KNOW how they felt. I will add to that any Combat Veteran also. Armchair Warriors TOP this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 05:33 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,383,127 times
Yeah, sure. It's just paranoia :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nM0asnCXD0

Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
My fight is against the unwavering, uncompromising, unreasonable position that there can't or shouldn't be any common sense rules or regulations with something that has an intended purpose of killing.
I've offered a serious compromise on background checks previously and the only thing you offered was to infer I was being sarcastic.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Purely my observations as an old woman. My Dad, Uncle, FIL all fought in WW2. They were shot at, wounded (FIL in the head), and had to kill others in combat. None of them wanted anything more to do with guns when their service was over.

I've know Nam Combat Vets also. Same with them. In fact they were the most vocal against the war back then.

Iraq and Afganistan Vets also among my coworkers and children's friends. Totally against guns and warfare. One Vet, two tours of Iraq, who wanted to be a LEO before serving, is now EXTREMELY Liberal and teaching English in Asia. He has said he never wants to see another weapon in his life.

Pattern? Armchair Warriors are those who want their guns. They have never been shot at, seen their Buddies (or others) killed right before them, or had to actually shoot someone else DEAD.

Talking to my BIL who witnessed a mob shooting as a child and his Dad throwing him under a restaurant table, we both have the same attitude towards guns. We want nothing to do with them having seen people's blood and guts splattered around us as children. How many of YOU gun supporters have seen that? I relived my own experience as a child after Sandy Hook with nightmares. Those poor, poor children. I KNOW how they felt. I will add to that any Combat Veteran also. Armchair Warriors TOP this.
Please, most of the people I hunt with are military/ex-military/LE. Maybe your lineage are just not that hardy? I do realize there used to be a draft and a lot of people had to fight that didn't want to but that's hardly the case today. It's volunteer.

But I agree with you, I don't want anyone who doesn't want to own a gun to have one if they are seriously PTSD or mentally unstable. We also don't want those with no backbone in our military that's why it's voluntary and heavily screened.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:

I know several combat vets and every one of them owns guns.

BTW, only law abiding people obey gun laws.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
My ex-GF used to tell me it was "an NRA fantasy" that some liberals wanted to confiscate the firearms. I pointed her to several articles, including in the New York Times, which suggested otherwise. It's not an NRA fantasy, it's a leftist fantasy held firmly in check by the reality of the situation (including the NRA). So they try to win little battles (common sense restrictions) and take full advantage of every news event that catches media attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
330 million and growing like the national debt. You could start today and never find them all.
They probably won't find them all. My opinion is that the grandchildren of today's 16-22 year olds -- born in, say, 2045 to 2060 (when I'm 70 to 85 or most likely dead) and raised in a largely automated world where AI does a lot of the decision-making, thoughts are digitized and projected across the internet, privacy is a long-forgotten whimsical notion, and kids identify more with the virtual world than the "real" one -- will want absolutely nothing to do with firearms and will feel righteous and justified in their desire to eliminate the ludicrous presence of guns.

I mean, I certainly don't want to live in that world, and they can confiscate my firearms only after they come and fight me to the death for them. But I foresee tremendous changes we can hardly conceive of in the next 75 years, many times over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Word of advice, those autonomous cars... don't expect to see those being viable for another 100 years.
I like to drive and I like my independence even more, and I think it's going to take longer than the big "report" that came out last month saying self-driving ride-hailing electric cars will be prevalent by 2030... but come on, 100 years? No, it is not going to take nearly that long.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:

you are right, some that come home from combat do want nothing more to do with guns. it is and always has been my opinion that those who went into the military and went into combat saw and did things NO person should EVER have to see or do.

i dont blame them for walking away from firearms, that is their freedom of choice that they fought for. but there are many that come home from combat who want to keep their guns, and in fact do keep their guns. again that is their freedom of choice because again they fought for that freedom.

as for your remarks on "armchair warriors", how do you know what they have seen or done? fact is you dont.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
I don't get how we can have every house around here holding multiple guns and yet we have no crime.

Then we have have cities, Democratic strong holds, where what, 1 in 50 homes has a gun and it's all BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Damn situation should be on Sesame Street "One of these things ain't like the other..."

It's not guns it's the policy.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
My daughter was diagnosed BiPolar in her early 20's. Took "happy pills" which made her want to commit suicide. Subject for a different thread. She tried to slit her wrists. She said if she had a gun (Daddy's) she would not be alive today 15 years later.

Thank Anti-Gun Mom for making Dad lock up his guns in a combination safe when our kids were young, in their 20's, and even TODAY with just him and me in the household.

Ok, call me Paranoid, but I not want some burglar using my HUSBAND'S gun to shoot ME. Why give them EXTRA weapons if they do not have one already?

Please do not tell me that I need to learn how to shoot. Been there, done that, as Newlywed. Made me very uncomfortable so I decided I was only doing this to please my spouse, not ME. Learned that lesson decades ago, and haven't changed my mind. Keep you 2nd Amendment Rights, but leave me out of it. I have to be true to myself, not anyone else. Again, my Anti-Gun attitude probably saved my daughter life. I CAN live with that. You disagree?

You gun people don't get it. At least after 40+ years of married life, my husband DOES acknowledge my views, and fear. Lock up my guns for my wife's safety.

I think I know which side of the family your daughter takes after.....
Yes, he locked them up so you didn't kill yourself. Rightfully so!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Many Democrats are gun owners, and no, there has never been an attempt to disarm the American public.

Another hoax used to manipulate the people.
Complete and utter lie. Democrats constantly push for more "gun control" including outright bans. You keep electing the same democrats that push for it all the time year after year.

Quote:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here. - Senator Feinstein (D) California (of course)
The ONLY reason they haven't gotten their ultimate goal is the 2nd amendment and a lack of enough votes. It certainly isn't for a lack of desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies