Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
lol. HB2 was repealed under different circumstances.

can California just break off into the ocean already?
It's absolutely idiotic to support California succession, it would be like firing your most productive employee for a company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
lol. HB2 was repealed under different circumstances.

can California just break off into the ocean already?
Actually big sports was the main driver in the repeal of HB2. There was a deal made between the state and the NCAA before the repeal actually went down. Through my many years of association with big sports I know that to be fact.

I do not support the state banning these schools. Would rather see the athletes at these schools work to promote social change.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
LOL! Hilarious. Liberals are such idiots!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Texas who may pass a NC like bathroom bill will end up losing next years Final Four, so that will become another issue.
I'm not so sure they will lose the Final Four next year if a bill is passed. Unless the NCAA has some sort of secret backup plan already in place, it's going to be a logistical nightmare with 9 months to go and less each day to find another city/stadium and more importantly find enough hotel rooms available for all of the teams/fans/media/NCAA bigwigs/etc.

It's almost like a Super Bowl that is planned out years in advance not 8 or 9 months until the event. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be very interesting and amazing if that could pull that off. I would think, if they did relocate it, they would move it to Indianapolis, where the Final Four is held every 4 or 5 years, if they can get the stadium/hotel rooms.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This forum is overrun with threads where the title is a lie and the OP cites either some way-out-in-right-field article or an article that does not support the title.

At first I thought it was just a factor of attracting all types here. But now such insane nonsense is being thrown out, I'm beginning to wonder if it is not a coordinated attempt at gaslighting.
Look at the news sources they choose to reference.
They are the most biased sites out there.
And, if it isn't bad enough that the starting points are filled with lies and paranoia half the time what is posted is so poorly interpreted as to suggest that whomever is referencing this claptrap has a serious problem with reading comprehension.

Since the election, many of these slanted "news" sites have become bolder and bolder in their propaganda as they've realized that they have an audience that will believe what they are selling without question.
And some are so brainwashed as to believe that defending discrimination is a good thing.

In any event, a more balanced article:

"The coaches are also clearly state employees. But for at least in some cases, their travel costs aren’t covered by state appropriations. Earlier this year, a UCLA spokesman told The Daily Bruin student newspaper that its athletics program doesn’t receive any state funding.
The California attorney general’s office is currently considering issuing its formal legal opinion about whether the ban applies to the coaches in the University of California and California State University systems. A spokesperson for the office said they plan “to provide guidance on this general issue soon.â€"

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06...ollege-sports/

Soooo, as per usual with some posters, much ado about nothing.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Why does C-D allow fake articles to be posted? I will never get it.

The article is from Breitbart, which is all lies, and even the article says something completely different than the thread title.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why does C-D allow fake articles to be posted? I will never get it.

The article is from Breitbart, which is all lies, and even the article says something completely different than the thread title.
Like I said, reading comprehension is not strong with some of these posters.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I brought the college sports issue up in another thread about the states travel ban. It would be gravely unfair for the student athletes if they were forbidden from participating in events, especially since a large majority of the sports world including it's athletes have been supportive of pro-LGBT issues, and can send a positive message by bringing it to the campuses.

I believe the NCAA will pressure the state to allow these schools to compete, especially if the states holding the events are within the criteria the NCAA uses to schedule such events. HB2 was repealed in NC, and now has met the NCAA's criteria. Texas who may pass a NC like bathroom bill will end up losing next years Final Four, so that will become another issue.
The NCAA had better learn that many Americans are fed up with this liberal attempt at social engineering by groups without a mandate to enforce their political views on others.
The NCAA has enough of it's own problems without having many Americans turning against them over tranny bathroom issues.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:07 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm not so sure they will lose the Final Four next year if a bill is passed. Unless the NCAA has some sort of secret backup plan already in place, it's going to be a logistical nightmare with 9 months to go and less each day to find another city/stadium and more importantly find enough hotel rooms available for all of the teams/fans/media/NCAA bigwigs/etc.

It's almost like a Super Bowl that is planned out years in advance not 8 or 9 months until the event. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be very interesting and amazing if that could pull that off. I would think, if they did relocate it, they would move it to Indianapolis, where the Final Four is held every 4 or 5 years, if they can get the stadium/hotel rooms.
But it is more than just the Final Four. To get there schools must make it through regional competition, with 8 states now excluded. While it was easy to deny Arizona a Super Bowl or North Carolina an event knocking out the second largest state along with seven others seems like a reach.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

They pulled and re-located events from NC on less notice then that. In the case of Texas it is my understanding there are two different versions of a bathroom bill out there. One very close to what NC had except it allows private events held in public facilities exempt from the law. The other version only applies to public schools and mandates that schools provide safe spaces for trans students. The latter is a fair compromise and I believe would be acceptable to the NCAA.

On another note; Jerry Jones is working hard to bring next years NFL draft to Dallas. The NFL is holding back on it's decision to see how this all plays out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies