Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That still leaves the remaining 30% to form an entrenched untouchable plutocracy.
90% lose their wealth by the 3rd generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Someone literally worth 0 cannot hire anyone legally, obviously, but I think this thread has shown there are plenty of ways a poor person can create jobs.

Of course there are good and benevolent wealthy. But being wealthy does not make you "smart" "good" or "benevolent". Usually it means you were really lucky, sometimes it means you were really smart and hard working, but even then you need some luck and incredible timing to really hit it big.

There's a middle ground, of course. IMO this country has swung FAR to one extreme, and I am amazed that people with no assets are cheering this current administration's dismantling of health care and other public expenditures to benefit people like me. It's kind of amazing.

I will get richer off Trump, probably (unless he goes full-on stupid and totally sinks the economy) but it's incredible that the people that will get poorer are so gung-ho about cutting the wealth of the 99% to benefit the "poor" 1%, who already have basically the lowest capital gains taxes in the first world.

They even want to eliminate the inheritance tax! A couple can basically give $11 million to their kids before even a penny in taxes kicks in. I mean, poor kids. Trump wants a 0% tax on all assets beyond $11 million, so families could horde money forever, while Joe Sixpack is getting nickle-and-dimed on taxes all day.
If you don't think you deserve all the wealth, why don't you write a big check to IRS? If you disagree with Trump's tax plan, can't you pay more taxes voluntarily?

That way at least you put your money where your mouth is.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:03 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Someone literally worth 0 cannot hire anyone legally, obviously, but I think this thread has shown there are plenty of ways a poor person can create jobs.

Of course there are good and benevolent wealthy. But being wealthy does not make you "smart" "good" or "benevolent". Usually it means you were really lucky, sometimes it means you were really smart and hard working, but even then you need some luck and incredible timing to really hit it big.

There's a middle ground, of course. IMO this country has swung FAR to one extreme, and I am amazed that people with no assets are cheering this current administration's dismantling of health care and other public expenditures to benefit people like me. It's kind of amazing.

I will get richer off Trump, probably (unless he goes full-on stupid and totally sinks the economy) but it's incredible that the people that will get poorer are so gung-ho about cutting the wealth of the 99% to benefit the "poor" 1%, who already have basically the lowest capital gains taxes in the first world.

They even want to eliminate the inheritance tax! A couple can basically give $11 million to their kids before even a penny in taxes kicks in. I mean, poor kids. Trump wants a 0% tax on all assets beyond $11 million, so families could horde money forever, while Joe Sixpack is getting nickle-and-dimed on taxes all day.
Where I'm coming from is that I stand 100% by property rights. Your stuff, my stuff, or anyone else's stuff isn't up for grabs to dole out. I also 100% believe in helping people by choice and allowing others to help who they choose to help, not who I decide they must help.

I understand that you feel like you didn't earn your wealth, so you don't mind it going to people who need it more. I think that's a noble thing. I don't think it's noble to advocate forced redistribution.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, there's nothing in that article that supports your claims. Again, the Census collects no such data.

The article cites a wealth consultancy that makes such a claim. Putting aside the fact that there's no such data, obviously a wealth consultancy would be the LAST org. to ask as they have an inherent interest in scaring kids of the rich.

And any data they obtain, even absent bias, would obviously just be some survey-type methodology; it wouldn't be rigorous data. And the article doesn't even define the terms of "losing wealth". Does it just mean "less wealthy" or "no longer wealthy"? Is this an inflationary comparison?

Old 06-26-2017, 01:22 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Define Poor.

Almost every town in America has people that have scraped together enough money of their own, by mortgaging their home, soliciting investors etc in order to have enough to start a small business. Those in turn hire a few people. If the business grows, they hire a few more. Some fail, some prosper and become Hardee's or Food Lion or Amazon.

Even the ones that remain small for decades, provide reliable income for a few. Multiply that by 10 of thousands if not 100s of thousands of small business owners in America doing everything from washing cars to mowing grass and the 'poor' people of America have more workers than General Motors or Disney.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
If you don't think you deserve all the wealth, why don't you write a big check to IRS? If you disagree with Trump's tax plan, can't you pay more taxes voluntarily?
Because it's my money, and I'm not breaking any laws.
Quote:
That way at least you put your money where your mouth is.
What are you talking about? None of your business what I do with my money.

But it is certainly my business what our elected officials do about tax policy. They work for us. There's zero contradiction in having money and thinking that people with money should pay more.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
The fact remains that most companies borrow money from the rich to operate. The fact also remains that without the rich people's money, we wouldn't have our current modern life - imagine a world where nobody is allowed to borrow money or charge interest.

Any Joe/Jane can go down to the office and open a business.
They borrow money from....banks. And that money isn't rich people's money, it's middle-class savings and checking account money. Rich people don't risk their money. They risk other people's money.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:11 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Yay! One of the Alt right's favorite things! Yet, Another thread bashing poor people!

Of course, it is the fault of the poor people that they are poor...and after all they really aren't real human beings like the rich people! Why should they have things like money and property?
And if they did have money they wouldn't use it to create employment...they would use it to fund their elaborate lifestyle,
hoarding their wealth and refusing to pay their own employees a decent amount of income...while putting it all in an account in the Kayman Islands and create tax shelters to avoid paying into the tax system. That's what poor people would do!

They would never go shopping, buy food and clothes for their family. Or get Medical Care. Or go on vacation.
Get furniture. Because, for heaven's sake...that just might create some jobs!

Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They borrow money from....banks. And that money isn't rich people's money, it's middle-class savings and checking account money. Rich people don't risk their money. They risk other people's money.
I suggest you watch a few episodes of Shark Tank.

You desperately NEED the education!

Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I suggest you watch a few episodes of Shark Tank.

You desperately NEED the education!
The sharks aren't risking their own money. If you think they are, you are the one in NEED of an education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies