Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 07:38 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,763,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What is the objective analysis other than as I earlier explained to you? The SC overturns a minuscule percentage of cases decided by the 9th Circuit Court. The part I noticed you did NOT quote from my comment about that. Crafty! Hard to consider that "all the time" as you noted before. Right?

Just can't admit when you're wrong, even when obvious, can you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 07:42 AM

89,220 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Yup, demonstrated by US history. Race became a so-called 'Protected Class' due to the Civil Rights Act of 1866.
Can you cite that?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Join the club. I'm tired of people using their God as a means of justifying acting like a jackass.
Ouch!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What is the objective analysis other than as I earlier explained to you? The SC overturns a minuscule percentage of cases decided by the 9th Circuit Court.
Miniscule? No.

From 1999 to 2008, of Ninth Circuit Court rulings that were reviewed by the Supreme Court, 20% were affirmed, 19% were vacated, and 61% were reversed.

Source: ABA

Old 07-15-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why? Did they hurt your feelings?

Don't get me wrong, I think this is asinine ,too. If somebody doesn't want to take my cash, someone with more sense will.
I suspect people who don't know much about the history of discrimination in this country are the ones who think this matter is trivial or "asinine," but to people who are the targets of discrimination, prejudiced against, groups of people who are so targeted because they are different from the rest, they are the ones that give these matters importance. In so doing, they also give these matters importance to the rest of us not so tolerant of prejudice and bigotry -- ignorance -- that leads to that sort of injustice, AKA people behaving badly.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That's your opinion, which you're entitled to, and are free to express if you wish. Just be aware that Religion is a Federally Protected Class under the Federal Civil Rights Act. LGBT status is not.
If anyone who has followed this thread even for awhile is not aware of these facts you keep repeating like a parrot, they can't read! We heard you already!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
These people don't believe in the free market. Good argument but it's lost on them.
I believe in the free market, but I'm not a believer the free market works as well as we would like in all cases, much like I believe in modern medicine, but not as if I don't realize that modern medicine is without its serious short-comings too...

This is the argument that is lost with folks like you, but not most folks I don't think.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Race is subject to very strict scrutiny. But what if a black person wanted a cake made that said "we want dead cops. When do we want them? Now." Would a baker have to make that cake?
Racist alert!

Why suggest that's what a black person would want on their cake, of all things?!?

Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Miniscule? No.

From 1999 to 2008, of Ninth Circuit Court rulings that were reviewed by the Supreme Court, 20% were affirmed, 19% were vacated, and 61% were reversed.

Source: ABA
I think I understand the problem here, maybe a math-challenged issue. No worries. Here you go...

You take the thousands of cases heard by the 9th CC every year (a). Then you take the number of those cases overturned (b). Then you divide (b) by (a) to get the percentage of cases overturned.

b/a = miniscule (the less than half a percent I pointed out earlier).

Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect people who don't know much about the history of discrimination in this country are the ones who think this matter is trivial or "asinine," but to people who are the targets of discrimination, prejudiced against, groups of people who are so targeted because they are different from the rest, they are the ones that give these matters importance. In so doing, they also give these matters importance to the rest of us not so tolerant of prejudice and bigotry -- ignorance -- that leads to that sort of injustice, AKA people behaving badly.
Exactly, which is why RELIGION is a Protected Class under the Federal Civil Rights Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies