Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 AM

89,390 posts, read 45,120,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think I understand the problem here, maybe a math-challenged issue. No worries. Here you go...
If the 9th Circuit was so good at rendering just rulings, they'd have a better than 20% success rate at SCOTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:10 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,951,822 times
Quote:
What is the objective analysis other than as I earlier explained to you? The SC overturns a minuscule percentage of cases decided by the 9th Circuit Court. The part I noticed you did NOT quote from my comment about that. Crafty! Hard to consider that "all the time" as you noted before. Right?

Just can't admit when you're wrong, even when obvious, can you...
'Always being right' is another cognitive distortion:

Quote:
Always being right
Being wrong is unthinkable. This cognitive distortion is characterized by actively trying to prove one's actions or thoughts to be correct, while sometimes prioritizing self-interest over the feelings of another person.[2]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion

There's a list of the main types of cognition distortions at link, includes 'Blaiming' 'Disqualifying the positive' 'Emotional Reasoning' 'Fallacy of change' 'Fallacy of fairness' 'Filtering' ...

Old 07-15-2017, 08:13 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,081,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
If you work with the public you work with them. Just like if a black couple had come in and he had refused.
No, black is not a religion.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,951,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
So if it's religious believes, then does she also not make cake for all the other sins in her religion or just this one in particular?
My understanding (admittedly I'm only human & therefore my understanding is limited) it is limited to 'sincerely held religious beliefs' which would seem to be personal religious beliefs however it's been expanded to include the 'sincerely held religious beliefs' of incorporated business entities, however further limited to those business entities considered as 'closely held' as are 90% of US incorporated businesses.

In other words, 'clear as mud'.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 AM

29,572 posts, read 9,802,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If the 9th Circuit was so good at rendering just rulings, they'd have a better than 20% success rate at SCOTUS.
Okay, I get it...

Either you don't understand math, percentages, or you are being stubborn on purpose, to emphasize this trait about you, or you simply cannot be fair or objective in keeping with an adult intelligent discussion about such issues, statistics and facts.

There's another queue for you, but this time let me save you the copy/paste...

Religion is a Federally Protected Class under the Civil Rights Act. LGBT status is not.

Time for me to sign off now!

Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Look, religious individuals have been persecuted for centuries. This is just more of the same type of persecution, even though doing so violates both the US Constitution and the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:13 PM

35,353 posts, read 17,257,206 times
Quote:
Okay, I get it...

Either you don't understand math, percentages, or you are being stubborn on purpose, to emphasize this trait about you, or you simply cannot be fair or objective in keeping with an adult intelligent discussion about such issues, statistics and facts.

There's another queue for you, but this time let me save you the copy/paste...

Religion is a Federally Protected Class under the Civil Rights Act. LGBT status is not.

Time for me to sign off now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Look, religious individuals have been persecuted for centuries. This is just more of the same type of persecution, even though doing so violates both the US Constitution and the Federal Civil Rights Act.
I side with the baker. The decision should be based primarily on free speech grounds, not religion. I would not want to create a precedent that could allow Sharia law some protected status.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:16 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,684,585 times
Yes the world is going to hell in a hand basket but as long as we don't have gay wedding cakes it's all good.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I side with the baker. The decision should be based primarily on free speech grounds, not religion. I would not want to create a precedent that could allow Sharia law some protected status.
Sorry you're unhappy about it, but Muslims have the same Federal Protection under the US Constitution and the Federal Civil Rights Act as anyone else.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Yes the world is going to hell in a hand basket but as long as we don't have gay wedding cakes it's all good.
No one said we can't have gay wedding cakes. Just order/buy from a baker who has no religious objection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies