Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nonsense weapons.

It's all bluster. There IS no defense against this 1955 technology. Both sides have it. They don't want to admit it. Why? Defense contractors don't make money.

Put it on a modern torpedo and launch it from a nuclear attack sub, and surface fleet is gone. Really doesn't actually have to hit the carrier. Just explode near it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeZpu5V5GE0
I dont think you understand modern conflict. Nukes end the world, so unless we are fighting that particular war who cares what they can or cannot do.

Anyone launching nukes will be meet by nukes which will lead to more nukes. Thus anyone firing nukes will have the common sense to try for one single massive strike.

all wars before that war will not have nukes and carriers remain our best projectors of power. They will not be forever, but for now they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They have ski jumps and will use VTOL Aircraft, the US Marines will operate F-35B's and the US will also operate Ospreys.

The UK received it's tenth F-35B this year and by the time the sips become operational there will be Royal Navy, RAF and US Marine Corp squadrons based on them.

Delays in the F-35 programme have caused some problems but nothing that can't be solved.
I assume that the HRS QE was built to also utilize Typhoons?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I assume that the HRS QE was built to also utilize Typhoons?
There was a purposed a naval version of the Typhoon called Sea Typhoon, but we have been committed to the F-35 from the outset.

Furthermore VTOL was always popular in the UK, and allowed aircraft to take off from converted container ship and small landing pads.

Btw it HMS - which stands for 'Her Majesty's Service'.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:30 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Proposal for all-drone carriers.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proce...l-uav-carriers

Old 04-14-2018, 07:48 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I thought you guys were having problems with your shinny new battleships breaking down due to too much heat?
Nobody has built battleships since 1946.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
I am waiting for the HMS Benny Hill to be commissioned.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:21 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I am waiting for the HMS Benny Hill to be commissioned.
Well, as long as the UK doesn't buy any Littoral Combat Ships, that name will remain unallocated.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Its 2018 and this is most advanced carrier?...really?

I guess I shouldnt be surprised... the F-35 is currently the most advanced fighter jet (that is the public aware of anyway)...so what have all these places like Area 51 been doing for the past 20+ yrs? LOL

I read about how in the 60s and 70s, they used UFOs as cover for their experimental secret aircraft, but the difference compared to today, eventually new technology trickled down/ out to known aircraft, the stealth, B2 are good examples. If majority of modern UFO reports are any indicator at where military aircraft tech is going, its totally silent operation, ability to hover in place silently, cloaking to be invisible to the naked eye, cause jamming effects on electronic and mechanical devices on the ground nearby (cell phones, cars, computers, etc)...As far as I know the F35 has none of these features?

Im sure they have aircraft that are WELL beyond the F35, I just think its strange we dont see any of the tech trickling down at all.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The one Naval threat the Russians do present is in submarines. Though both the UK and US have way better ones. Russian boats are notoriously noisy and Western sonar picks the up well. Even their boomers. However Russian attack subs are quite formibable.
Noise has plagued Russian tech though. They have firepower and speed but Western sure s are way quieter, have better sonar and don't lack punch either.
You clearly never heard if the Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal. Issue of noise was primarily in the screw profiles cavitating at lower speeds than western profiles (since the USSR had less computing power in the 50s and 60s to process the fluid mechanics for quieter props). Well that was quietly (ironically) solved by shipping western profiles to the Soviets stored in used Kongsburg NC systems (Oopsie), then shipping Toshiba automated machining systems that plugged straight in to those Kongsberg NC systems with those profiles still on 'em..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies