Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:03 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I hadn't paid attention to this until now. I completely and fully support our second amendment rights. I've supported the NRA in defending our rights.

No way do I support this ad. They deserve the negative blow back here.
They defend the wallets of the gun manufacturers. No one has threatened your right to own a gun. Terror suspects, crazies and criminals couldn`t have a better friend than Nation`s Real As*hol*s.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:19 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I don't have to convince gun owners I'm "one of them." I own multiple. I enjoy using them recreationally. While not a huge fan of hunting, I know how to and have done it. I wouldn't be surprised if I have more $ in firearms than most of those posting here and have hunted larger animals.

Sensible gun laws means things like expansion of background checks, fire arm safety course requirements, and measures regarding the mentally unstable's access to them. Given a couple hours I can find any firearm and purchase it without leaving any sort of record of it. ** Note: I don't agree with things like magazine restrictions.

None of that impacts law abiding citizens from having access to firearms. Far too often I've personally been around people who have their first firearm but have zero sense in properly handling them. I came close to being on the receiving end of a 12 gauge by one such individual trying to show off. They're tools, not toys.

Nobody is going to take our guns away. The fear mongering is for no other reason than to get people to give money to the NRA. A group I have never, and never will support because we'll always have guns.
First of all the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do about hunting. It's a bulwark against tyranny.

All it would have taken was for one Supreme Court justice to flip to the other side and handgun bans would have stood in DC and Chicago. You can be sure that others would follow. If that's not taking guns away I don't know what is? At the very least it is making it nearly impossible for law abiding people to obtain them. All except for the politically well connected of course.

Stop living in a fantasy land. If they can ban one class of firearms they can ban them all except for maybe a single shot rifle or shotgun. There are a lot of people that think that as long as you can own a gun then that it is not a violation of the 2nd Amendment. But they will determine what type of gun it is and how many someone is allowed to own. Many have stated that we should only be allowed to own a musket.

Indeed there are many politicians and organizations that are doing all they can to abolish the 2nd Amendment and constitutional law. They will not give up until they have accomplished that task. Hillary Clinton while running for president felt we should model our firearms laws after Australia. There have been more Democratic politicians that I can count that have come out publicly with statements about their desire to eliminate the 2nd Amendment as an individual right including the four Supreme Court justices that offered dissenting opinions in the Heller/McDonald decision that confirmed that the 2nd Amendment was indeed an individual right.

We already have enough laws that address the criminal and negligent mis-use of firearms. Along with laws that address every conceivable criminal act imaginable. The whole issue regarding "sensible gun laws" is who is going to determine what is sensible or not? The Democrats who've expressed open hostility to the 2nd Amendment? Or the Republicans who for the most part believe in it? The 2nd Amendment is a right and not a privilege just as it is along with all the others. Do we then start to impose "sensible journalism laws" that restrict the 1st Amendment? To the point that only those who have a degree in journalism are allowed to express their opinions?

How much more proof do you need that the threats to the 2nd Amendment are real. Perhaps it's time that you stop being an ostrich and get your head outta' the sand.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-02-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
They defend the wallets of the gun manufacturers. No one has threatened your right to own a gun. Terror suspects, crazies and criminals couldn`t have a better friend than Nation`s Real As*hol*s.
There are many that are out to remove our rights. I wish the NRA wasn't necessary as I disagree with things they do but I dislike the idea of ceeding any right to the government.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are many that are out to remove our rights. I wish the NRA wasn't necessary as I disagree with things they do but I dislike the idea of ceeding any right to the government.
So do I, but they are necessary. Either we all hang together and win or we all hang separately and lose. Conquer and divide is the mission of our political enemies. We can't let them succeed or they will bring us down. I've been a member of the NRA and other gun rights organizations for many years and can't find too many things I've dis-agreed with them on especially when it involves individual civil liberties.

Our rights are inalienable rights granted to us by "our creator" whomever or whatever "our creator" may be. It's not up to the government to pick and choose which rights are to be allowed. Our nation was founded as a Constitutional Republic and not a democracy or majority rule as many would have us believe. Those who wish for majority rule should be careful what they wish for as they too will one day find themselves in the minority. In fact it happens in just about every election cycle.

That's why we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights as prevention from tyranny by the majority. Pretty simple concept as it has served this nation well since winning our independence. How appropriate to bring this up on this Fourth of July holiday.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
So do I, but they are necessary. Either we all hang together and win or we all hang separately and lose. Conquer and divide is the mission of our political enemies. We can't let them succeed or they will bring us down. I've been a member of the NRA and other gun rights organizations for many years and can't find too many things I've dis-agreed with them on especially when it involves individual civil liberties.

Our rights are inalienable rights granted to us by "our creator" whomever or whatever "our creator" may be. It's not up to the government to pick and choose which rights are to be allowed. Our nation was founded as a Constitutional Republic and not a democracy or majority rule as many would have us believe. Those who wish for majority rule should be careful what they wish for as they too will one day find themselves in the minority. In fact it happens in just about every election cycle.

That's why we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights as prevention from tyranny by the majority. Pretty simple concept as it has served this nation well since winning our independence. How appropriate to bring this up on this Fourth of July holiday.
I have never understood the idea of feeling obligated in defending something stupid just because it comes from a source you support.

As I noted, I support the NRA but if this is going to be their model here on out, that may not last forever.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Regardless, we are at a point where violence is erupting on both sides of the political spectrum. We need a leader that unites us and does not further incite violence by using reckless rhetoric.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Regardless, we are at a point where violence is erupting on both sides of the political spectrum. We need a leader that unites us and does not further incite violence by using reckless rhetoric.
Where are you seeing violence from the right? Is the right trying to shut down free speech? Is the right donning masks and shields and setting fires, breaking glass and beating people with sticks, blocking roads and trying to shut down cities? That's all coming from the Left. Who was it that opened fire at a baseball practice in Virginia with the intent to assassinate Republicans?

Old 07-02-2017, 05:34 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I expect to see more armed right-wing violence against liberals in the coming months.

Be careful and stay safe. Don't be a hero - be smart and quietly walk away from any suspected derange right-wingers.

I have an old military carbine in the closet. It's been there a long time. I've shot it on the range a bit over the years. From my childhood, I know how to use a firearm, so I don't really see a need to waste money blowing through ammo. That carbine is not there to perpetrate violence against anyone, liberal, conservative, or otherwise. It's there for if and when the time comes that some nutcase, liberal, conservative, or otherwise attempts to perpetrate violence against me.

So, you'd best cool the melodrama. There are a whole lot of gun owners (in fact, the overwhelming majority) just like me, who have no intention of engaging in any violence--that's a left-wing thing. You are disrespecting those gun owners by implying in your very poorly camouflaged way that they are some sort of terrorists.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:08 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then they should have written the copy better and her tone should have been a conciliatory one not anger.
Funny ...I didn't hear anger ...I heard concern.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
At least get the quote correct and not just cherry pic the words you want to prove a non existent point...

Um, I did get the quote right and didn't cherry pick nor did I rearrange words. My opinion stands as previously stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies