Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

I voted yes. If they can do their job and not be a liability, why shouldn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I voted yes. If they can do their job and not be a liability, why shouldn't they?
I agree with you.

But the keywords should be "not be a liability".

Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
If said transgender has no history of being suicidal or no history of depression than be all means he/she should be able to serve like anyone else. However, I have been advised that close to 50% of transgender at one time were suicidal and higher percentage depressed. That would disqualify those people on those issues alone, disregarding the transgender part.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:56 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think you're confusing "civil rights" with race.
I tried but I don't understand your comment, don't know what you mean. If you wanted to clarify that would be great. Anyway dashrendar4454 brought up the terms "mental illness" and "civil rights", I didn't. See posts 647 and 648.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
If said transgender has no history of being suicidal or no history of depression than be all means he/she should be able to serve like anyone else. However, I have been advised that close to 50% of transgender at one time were suicidal and higher percentage depressed. That would disqualify those people on those issues alone, disregarding the transgender part.
Probably part of the suicidal feelings is not being accepted as an equal member of the society you were born and raised in.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Probably part of the suicidal feelings is not being accepted as an equal member of the society you were born and raised in.

Not true at all. It has nothing to do with society. Plenty of marginalized and hated groups in history have NOT had a higher than average suicide rate.

Transgender Suicide Rate Isn

Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
I tried but I don't understand your comment, don't know what you mean. If you wanted to clarify that would be great. Anyway dashrendar4454 brought up the terms "mental illness" and "civil rights", I didn't. See posts 647 and 648.
You don't seem to understand what "civil rights" means. Perhaps you could explain what this means: "I am not comparing a mental illness to civil rights. They are not similar and can't be compared. I'm drawing a causation between fear of change and making silly excuses."

People with mental illness do have civil rights, like all the rest of us.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:12 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
There's been quite a bit of bickering, bullying and fighting going on. Please, stick to the topic. You do not have to answer every post. The ignore feature is there for a reason. Use it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That may well be. However, suicidal depressed people are not allowed to serve in our military no matter what the reason.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You don't seem to understand what "civil rights" means. Perhaps you could explain what this means: "I am not comparing a mental illness to civil rights. They are not similar and can't be compared. I'm drawing a causation between fear of change and making silly excuses."

People with mental illness do have civil rights, like all the rest of us.
Of course they do! I never said otherwise. What I said above was a reply to dashrendar who accused me of comparing mental illness to civil rights. I replied that mental illness and civil rights can't be compared so I was not comparing them. That's all.

I understand what civil rights means. Can you tell me your definition of it? Because I'm still not sure what you're saying. Maybe we have two different definitions or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies