Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But the question is were they openly transgendered for those 34 years? Did their troops know?

If that answer is "no", then his basis for being TG & serving for 34 years operates in that sphere and not in the current one about being out in the open of being TG. His example, in a "no" sphere, has no relativity to the current issue.
exactly !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Rather reminds me, a decade ago, when we were talking about prerequisites for police snipers and one of them was that they had to be non smokers. That got a rise out of all the smokers in the room.

A thing or two on that, though. I made the recommendation based on how war sniper teams would stop bathing a few days before going out in the field so there weren't any scents to give them away. I saw the same disadvantage with someone who used tobacco.

Another observation about this condition and this job was that one might have to remain in place for hours in surveillance and there really wasn't any room for someone to take a smoke break.

SO-o, for the item in question, what are we thinking? Someone we will always have at a desk job, working 0730-1700, duty every 5 days................or someone who can be deployed?
You might be interested in this article, it's about the large number of military personnel who serve in war zones while taking prescription drugs for anxiety, depression and pain, and no- they don't have desk jobs:

"He was updating his will and preparing to return to Iraq when he broke down. His wife, Christine, found him awake in the middle of the night, rocking while babbling incoherently. Frightened, Christine called his squad leader, who took him to the base emergency room. Doctors then sent him to a nearby private psychiatric hospital, where he stayed for 16 days, receiving medications to calm his panic and treat his blood pressure and depression. The doctors released him with four prescriptions. A noncommissioned officer in charge of De Vlieger's unit's stateside operations told him that day that he had to leave immediately for Iraq. Less than 18 hours after being released from the hospital, De Vlieger was on a plane heading for the Middle East. "I was in no condition to leave," he says. "I'm an infantryman. If I'm screwed up in my head, it could cost my life or the lives of the men with me."

Prescription Drugs and the U.S. Military: Men's Health.com

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
OK, for the cognitive impaired people which is half the forum....this is actually a sign of Trump acting presidential. (ironic yes, and not surprising to see considering I view him and politicians in general to be used car salesmen.)

You take a poll issue and align with it.

Same reason Obama opposed gay marriage in 2008 but came around to it by 2012.

The fact that some fools think this is even R or D is hillarious. It's not.

Basic pandering to a wedge poll issue. Politics 101.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You might be interested in this article, it's about the large number of military personnel who serve in war zones while taking prescription drugs for anxiety, depression and pain, and no- they don't have desk jobs:

"He was updating his will and preparing to return to Iraq when he broke down. His wife, Christine, found him awake in the middle of the night, rocking while babbling incoherently. Frightened, Christine called his squad leader, who took him to the base emergency room. Doctors then sent him to a nearby private psychiatric hospital, where he stayed for 16 days, receiving medications to calm his panic and treat his blood pressure and depression. The doctors released him with four prescriptions. A noncommissioned officer in charge of De Vlieger's unit's stateside operations told him that day that he had to leave immediately for Iraq. Less than 18 hours after being released from the hospital, De Vlieger was on a plane heading for the Middle East. "I was in no condition to leave," he says. "I'm an infantryman. If I'm screwed up in my head, it could cost my life or the lives of the men with me."

Prescription Drugs and the U.S. Military: Men's Health.com
Do you think he should be serving in the military? Keep on sending him to the combat zone? That is really cruel in my opinion.

I think he should be allowed to medically retire and draw service related disability benefit.

I found it ironic many people seem to believe allowing people with chronic illness/condition to serve = compassion.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-26-2017 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Do you think he should be serving in the military? Keep on sending him to the combat zone? That is really cruel in my opinion.

I think he should be allowed to medically retire and draw service related disability benefit.

I found it ironic many people seem to believe allowing people with chronic illness/condition to serve = compassion.
The article was not about just that one person, I wrote the post in response to the poster who provided an anecdote about snipers and then concluded
Quote:
SO-o, for the item in question, what are we thinking? Someone we will always have at a desk job, working 0730-1700, duty every 5 days................or someone who can be deployed?
The article provided evidence that there are military members who take drugs for chronic conditions and ARE deployed.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OK, for the cognitive impaired people which is half the forum....this is actually a sign of Trump acting presidential. (ironic yes, and not surprising to see considering I view him and politicians in general to be used car salesmen.)
really? implementing policy via a tweet is presidential? I'm glad I'm in the cognitively impaired half of the forum because that is just bizarre.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The article was not about just that one person, I wrote the post in response to the poster who provided an anecdote about snipers and then concluded The article provided evidence that there are military members who take drugs for chronic conditions and ARE deployed.
and many shouldn't be deployed. Your article proves this point.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
For anyone outraged at the notion of trans people in the military....were you upset about this yesterday? How about last year or five years ago or ten? Because trans people have been serving all this time.
Mr. Atlanta was upset about it yesterday.
Last year Mrs. Atlanta was upset about it
5 years ago my gender non- binary gender told me on Mondays and Wednesdays I related to a female. Tues and Thurs I related to a male. The rest of the week is what was assigned at birth, ya know fluid sexual identity. Oh wait.....or wait was it when I was an embryo when testosterone or hormones decided me?

Yesterday kitty was Roofus
And a year ago Tweety bird thought he was Sylvester on Tuesdays only

Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
For all those who think that banning transgenders from serving in the military is a great cost-saving measure, consider that according to a study by Military Times, the U.S. military spends $84 million annually for erectile dysfunction medications. I don't know about you, but I don't see why "I" have to pay taxes so a soldier or a sailor can get or maintain a stiffie. How does that contribute to military readiness?
We should stop paying for that too.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
It has become quite obvious during the course of the day that this was basically done on a whim by Trump today to (1) deflect from his personal problems and (2) to make his minority base happy.

The Pentagon was not prepared in the least for it and the entire edict is surrounded by confusion.

Meanwhile, NK has made great progress in creating a missile to carry a nuclear warhead, multiple problems have erupted in the Mideast, the Russians are apparently arming the Taliban and there is an argument over sending troops to Afghanistan.

What does President Petty do? Announces a stupid edict targeted at many people who are serving the country. He is dragging the country down day by day. His obsessive need for attention is exhausting and the country's business is being driven by one huge fragile ego. Unbelievably pathetic that one idiot could do so much damage so quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies