Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 04:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Didn't read any of that.

Anyways, minimum wage jobs aren't for supporting oneself much less a family. Those jobs are for children and minorities/thread.
Racist and ageist!

Minimum wage jobs are for people who don't have any skill or experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 04:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
If you don't have skills to earn enough money to support yourself, you really need to talk to your parents.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 PM

34,064 posts, read 17,088,810 times
It is unfortunate some people chose not to progress beyond low skill jobs.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Fortunately for you, her country is still in its 1st Level Economy. When her country --and another dozen sub-Saharan States -- finally advance to the 2nd Level Economy and start to manufacture goods, you'll lose Millions of jobs, because you will not be able to compete against sub-Saharan Africa States.

The 1.5 Billion people of China and the 1 Billion people of India will be buying goods from sub-Saharan Africa, instead of the US, because, well, you know, the prices will be cheaper.

So you can look forward to that as well.

The point is that raising the federal minimum wage will ultimately back-fire right into your face. It won't do any good to have a $15/hour minimum wage, if there are no jobs.

Doesn't this make MY solution EVEN BETTER than ever?

My solution is to ADAPT NOW to downward mobility, and allow the First World Poor to live in tents. When those Sub-Saharan economies reach the Second Level, poor Americans will be able to work for those low low wages because their living expenses will also be low low.

Of all people, I am astonished that you oppose it. It's as if you want the First World Poor to be unable to get jobs and to be productive and to earn a living.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Doesn't this make MY solution EVEN BETTER than ever?

My solution is to ADAPT NOW to downward mobility, and allow the First World Poor to live in tents. When those Sub-Saharan economies reach the Second Level, poor Americans will be able to work for those low low wages because their living expenses will also be low low.

Of all people, I am astonished that you oppose it. It's as if you want the First World Poor to be unable to get jobs and to be productive and to earn a living.
Keep aiming high!

Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you don't have skills to earn enough money to support yourself, you really need to talk to your parents.

My parents were druggies. What would a talk with my parents have accomplished? It's the social and emotional skills of which my parents left me bereft that are my greater problem, not so much my lack of job skills. My parents left me in a playpen to vegetate and I didn't even talk until I was four.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Keep aiming high!

I like to think my solution is practical in the real world of scarce resources. Whatever your solution is, How You Gonna Pay For It?

Old 07-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
In the second place, you should rely solely on primary sources for data:

In 2016, 79.9 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.7 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 701,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.5 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 2.2 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.7 percent of all hourly paid workers.The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal minimum wage or less declined from 3.3 percent in 2015 to 2.7 percent in 2016. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979, when data were first collected on a regular basis

1) The proportion of workers earning the prevailing federal minimum wage is declining precisely because the proportion of workers earning higher prevailing STATE AND LOCAL minimum wages is increasing.

2) Employers are risk-averse. While I first observed this in the context of increasing applicant standards (and a corresponding increase in the number of people who fall below prevailing employability standards). this risk aversion appears to lead some employers into offering higher wages than required to attract qualified applicants. IOW, Some employers offer wages above the minimum in order to attract higher-quality applicants than they need, when they probably could find qualified applicants at minimum wage.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
In New Delhi, bus ticket is $2 a month.

If YOU choose the most expensive lifestyle to live, whom should we blame?

Generally, I choose the cheap lifestyle and then curse the paucity.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,732 times
Quote:
Racist and ageist!

Minimum wage jobs are for people who don't have any skill or experience.
So you think people with no skills or experience deserve $15 an hour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2quonm59Kc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies