Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 10:09 AM

143 posts, read 99,199 times

Advertisements

I notice lots of insults and hostile responses from the right-wingers in this thread, rather than any actual counter-arguments or disproving the original mathematical observations I put forth.

It's exactly like I said, the right-wingers in here are trying to "argue" against mathematics Republican right wingers are in effect saying 2+2=7, when that is obviously not the case in the real world. They claim that people can "make it" on $8/hour type jobs, when that is simply NOT true in the real world (without outside help or welfare assistance anyway). We are talking about the REAL WORLD here guys, not "ideal" and "just let them eat cake" scenarios proposed by right-wingers. Again, I want to remind everyone that we are in the year 2017, not 1950 where even low-paid workers could "make it". Times have changed a lot, everything is certainly MUCH more expensive in 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,747,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
I notice lots of insults and hostile responses from the right-wingers in this thread, rather than any actual counter-arguments or disproving the original mathematical observations I put forth.

It's exactly like I said, the right-wingers in here are trying to "argue" against mathematics Republican right wingers are in effect saying 2+2=7, when that is obviously not the case in the real world. They claim that people can "make it" on $8/hour type jobs, when that is simply NOT true in the real world (without outside help or welfare assistance anyway). We are talking about the REAL WORLD here guys, not "ideal" and "just let them eat cake" scenarios proposed by right-wingers. Again, I want to remind everyone that we are in the year 2017, not 1950 where even low-paid workers could "make it". Times have changed a lot, everything is certainly MUCH more expensive in 2017.
If you can't afford a typical "American lifestyle", you can always imigrate to another country that meets your needs for the value of your labor.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 AM

26,832 posts, read 22,647,427 times
Quote:

It's exactly like I said, the right-wingers in here are trying to "argue" against mathematics
Republican right wingers are in effect saying 2+2=7, when that is obviously not the case in the real world. They claim that people can "make it" on $8/hour type jobs, when that is simply NOT true in the real world (without outside help or welfare assistance anyway). We are talking about the REAL WORLD here guys, not "ideal" and "just let them eat cake" scenarios proposed by right-wingers. Again, I want to remind everyone that we are in the year 2017, not 1950 where even low-paid workers could "make it". Times have changed a lot, everything is certainly MUCH more expensive in 2017.
No they don't. They don't "argue against mathematics" - they agree with it, what they disagree with, is that things should be run somehow differently.
See, it's a matter of beliefs, the religion if you wish, which goes way back to the early history of mankind. There should be the rich and there should be the poor, and only those that make themselves valuable for the rich deserve the nod. No one and nothing can prove them that things should be run differently; it's the same deep-seated system of beliefs as I've said, as in the same manner no one can prove a devout muslim that there are flaws in his religion.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,843,089 times
Min wage jobs are supposed to be starter jobs not careers....

Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,286,118 times
Here's an argument I don't get:

Posters keep saying to make yourself more marketable by gaining skills but that ignores some things:

1. Somebody has to do the unskilled work. Not everyone can be a mechanic.
2. Increasing the number of people with a certain skillset adds to the available labor pool with that skillset, and the increased supply of labor allows employers to pay less in the free market desired by conservatives.

However, the solution isn't necessarily raising the minimum wage (though I do believe it needs to be raised slightly). Those in unskilled areas need to:

1. Work more hours (40 hours is really a blessing, maybe they should work 60-70 hours)
2. Pick up another job
3. Have NO kids until they are in a financially stable situation
4. Live with Roommates as a last resort
5. Live in an area with decent public transit

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,605,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Here's an argument I don't get:

Posters keep saying to make yourself more marketable by gaining skills but that ignores some things:

1. Somebody has to do the unskilled work. Not everyone can be a mechanic.
2. Increasing the number of people with a certain skillset adds to the available labor pool with that skillset, and the increased supply of labor allows employers to pay less in the free market desired by conservatives.
1. Yes, someone can do those jobs, learn a few things and grow out of those jobs.
2. Yes, only if you assume the overall skill levels aren't increasing, but that's a false assumption.

No sane conservative would want to pay people less. It's stupid. If people has less money, they have less to spend and it's detrimental to the economy.

As we human advance, our skills are further specialized and improved. Jack of all trades, master of none doesn't work well in modern society. Each becomes more specialized. Improvement of skills is a good thing for us all.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

No sane person can't argue with your voodoo math.

Do you buy anything based on whether or not the recipient of your money can make a living? If not, why would you expect anybody else to do that? Remember labor, or in this case, minimum wage workers, is no different from a gallon of milk - they are just products and services.

By the way, the right-wingers may be bad at math, the leftists have no idea what math is.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM

5,819 posts, read 3,247,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Collectivist math is simple.

Steal from you, give to me.
So the cost of your Big Mac goes up a quarter. Republican math is all distorted.
Your FOX News MBA degrees are a joke.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No sane person can't argue with your voodoo math.

Do you buy anything based on whether or not the recipient of your money can make a living? If not, why would you expect anybody else to do that? Remember labor, or in this case, minimum wage workers, is no different from a gallon of milk - they are just products and services.

By the way, the right-wingers may be bad at math, the leftists have no idea what math is.
Bad generalization, I am left of center, and am strong in math

Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Bad generalization, I am left of center, and am strong in math
Then you shouldn't support the minimum wage law because it's mathematically and morally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies