Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 05:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
At my workplace there are no internal advancement opportunities expected for the next 15 years or so, when my boss eventually retires.
In that case, I think you need to leave and find a job with a better company where there is more opportunity. Why are you still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Which won't hire me because I have no marketable job skills and my credit is indefinitely trashed because I'm unwilling to declare bankruptcy.
Well, that's YOUR problem.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That's like being a lumberjack and refusing to travel more than 200 yards to cut trees. You're going to run out of trees.

As a lumberjack you need to go further, and in your case, to another employer.
That is the problem in a nutshell. They are unwilling to do what is necessary to advance. I call that, "laziness," if not "stupidity."

Old 07-06-2017, 05:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Can you provide a list of the names of idiots who would work for less than $7/hour?

I have a few bridges to sell them.

(gulp) I must admit that there was a brief time when I worked online with Amazon Mechanical Turk for what amounted to less than $2 per hour.

Yeah it sucked but it was better than not paying the rent on time.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
If you're stupid enough to live in an expensive city while making minimum wage, you should be sharing a room with four other people to make sure everyone doesn't forget to breath during the night. Two birds, one stone.

If you were there first - before newcomers made it more expensive - why should YOU WHO WERE THERE FIRST have to move?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
^^^^ This

I can't speak for other places, but for ex. here in Denver, just casually browsing the Craigslist "housing" and "rooms / shared" sub-sections, the average "room available" around here seems to rent for $600-$900/month. Keep in mind this is just for a room, in someone else's house or apartment (ie. usually a total stranger), with a shared bathroom and limited privacy. The right-wingers in this thread that claim you can rent a room for $250-$300 a month are full of it or delusional/out-of-touch

I have to re-iterate again, we are in the year 2017, not the 1950's.
Again, you don't use "average". If you are making minimum wage, you look for cheap, not average.
https://denver.craigslist.org/search...labilityMode=0
(The min 2 is to remove all the $1 ads)
And that is a very high cost of living area. Take a much lower cost of living area like St Louis and the number doubles (despite a much smaller housing stock)
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
If you were there first - before newcomers made it more expensive - why should YOU WHO WERE THERE FIRST have to move?
Math.

Unless being an original inhabitant comes with a stipend, it doesn't help you deal with rising COL.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Cell-phones and internet are neither rights nor entitlements. Use a land-line instead.
Cell phones cost less than landlines now.

There is no way you are going to find a different job without internet as well. Cheapest option by far is a smart phone with a decent data plan.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
If you're stupid enough to live in an expensive city while making minimum wage, you should be sharing a room with four other people to make sure everyone doesn't forget to breath during the night. Two birds, one stone.
Last I checked, expensive cities still have a customer base that want groceries and fast food etc as well, so if people are "smart" who work in those professions and move away, then no restaurants or grocery stores....

Old 07-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
When I visited Laguna Beach, some years ago, the maid came to my hotel room. We got to talking and I asked her how she could afford to live in Laguna for minimum wage? She said: "I live with 7 people in an apartment. We share the rent."
That is illegal most places unless they are all related to her, good old occupancy laws and all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies