Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 03:39 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Don't hold your breath, it doesn't fit his narrative.
And how this will fit your narrative I wonder?

"This a tricky one to answer since it's very easy for an employee to add a few cents to the Federal minimum wage and make it look like there are far fewer on it.

First let's take a look at what one needs to live in the USA

Increase in real value of the minimum wage since 1990: 21%

Increase in cost of living since 1990:67%

One year's earnings at the minimum wage: $15,080

Income required for a single worker to have real economic security: $30,000

Summary. You all got a lot poorer and it's getting worse.

Essentially this means that the Federal minimum wage needs to be doubled and that Hilary Clinton's shameful climb down to $12 will still leave many Americans in poverty. In a country as rich as the USA nobody who works hard should have to struggle financially.

According to the Economic Policy Institute’s State of Working America, a stunning 35 million Americans – 26 percent of the USA workforce – earn less than $10.55 an hour.

Of that number according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.532 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly 1.8 million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.3 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum....

https://www.quora.com/How-many-US-ci...inning-of-2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:22 PM

143 posts, read 98,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

"This a tricky one to answer since it's very easy for an employee to add a few cents to the Federal minimum wage and make it look like there are far fewer on it.

Essentially this means that the Federal minimum wage needs to be doubled and that Hilary Clinton's shameful climb down to $12 will still leave many Americans in poverty. In a country as rich as the USA nobody who works hard should have to struggle financially.

According to the Economic Policy Institute’s State of Working America, a stunning 35 million Americans – 26 percent of the USA workforce – earn less than $10.55 an hour.

Of that number according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.532 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly 1.8 million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.3 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum....

That is disturbing, for a country like America anyways

Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

I didn't know the price of goods must be set according to the need of the sellers.

This has to be the most groundbreaking voodoo economics ever!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
That is disturbing, for a country like America anyways
It is disturbing we have people like you.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Many of them due to local minimum wages which are higher than the federal minimum wage.
Please define "many."

Old 07-07-2017, 06:10 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
The thing is, can "they" really be trusted to lower their prices etc to a realistic/affordable level if minimum wage did not exist? If history is any indication, I doubt it....... prices are up up up in most categories of everyday life for most people "regardless" of the minimum wage.

I just don't trust "them" to voluntarily keep prices within a reasonable/affordable level for the average person. For example, we've seen what's happened with rents over the last 10 years or so, it's just gone up up up despite flat wages (so "rising wages causing inflation" theory doesn't fly). It seems prices of most things go up "despite" wages being almost completely flat, it flies directly in the face of right-wingers often-spouted "if we raise poor people's wages we will get hyper-inflation" theory.

I cringe at what "they" would do if there was no minimum wage, would we then literally be a 3rd-world nation with 5-8 people crammed to an apartment? Earning $400 a month? With owning a car being a "luxury"? And eating beans and rice every day like the 3rd-world? I thought this was America and that we were "above" such a primitive existence??

"They" have no honor or decency or moral compass, and are only driven by greed, they lie/cheat/steal, destroy the environment, leave investors/employees holding the bag, evade taxes, etc. If they are given an inch they take a mile.
so your buying the fascist liberal conspiracy theory

1. most American are employed by SMALL BUSINESS, not the 'evil corporations' line that they keep feeding you......and most small businesses are running very small profit margins (5% or less)

2. raising the min wage will not help you..... the ONLY way to move up to a living wage is SELF IMPROVEMENT.....you failed economic and tax math if you think that doubling the min wage from 7.5 to 15 will double what you bring home

you want a raise....then prove your worth...zero skill and zero motivation are worth zero

here's a tip...one of the biggest tricks in life....be where your are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be.

too many gen y's (millennials ) don't get that, every excuse in the book to why they are constantly late, or cant make it in today because of ...

Old 07-07-2017, 06:15 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I'm from Kansas City. And if anybody's familiar...east of Troost. It is an economic desert over there. Walking to work, riding a bike, and catching the bus...can be impossible sometimes depending on where job opportunities are in the metro area. Some jobs are just not reachable by walking or public transit. It's hard as f**k to get up outta of a situation like that. It's not simply a matter of "just working harder" or cutting back or walking to work type of solutions. Some of yall are completely out of touch with real life and you're assuming that people are just not working hard enough. Again, a lot of people that have never had to "just work harder" are throwing that out there as a flash card auto response.
ok...you need a car... then do as I did....get a $200 clunker......why is it this younger gen thinks they can only own a less than 5 year old car in primo condition....

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM

143 posts, read 98,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok...you need a car... then do as I did....get a $200 clunker......why is it this younger gen thinks they can only own a less than 5 year old car in primo condition....
Who claimed that poor people "expect" to have a brand new car? No one said that All I said is that a car is pretty much a necessity in most places in America (which it is, contrary to right-wingers claiming you can "just walk" or take 2-4 buses).

The point is, minimum wage is SO low that even a crappy beater car represents a significant chunk out of the minimum wage person's monthly budget. At average $200-$350 a month (or more) in total gas/insurance expenses, thats like 25-30% of the minimum wage worker's monthly pay, assuming a paid-in-cash beater car of course.

And heaven forbid if the crappy beater car has a breakdown and suddenly needs $600-$1500 in repairs

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Where are you getting a $200 clunker that runs, let alone will pass smog? That's just not great advice unless you can share your secrets on where you find running registerable vehicles for $200

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, I remember when I was only making $500/week and was told I shouldn't own a car making that little, and I pointed out that I lived 20 miles from my job in an area with no bus service at the time, and was told I should ride my bike to work then by one of these posters like that.

Really?!? That would be 40 miles on a bicycle every day, which would be over 5 hrs round trip, and would burn 2,000 calories, which would cause me to have to eat twice as much food to not look like an AIDS patient
Oh give me a freaking break!

When I got my first job, I lived 2 miles away on purpose because I didn't want to miss work.

So MOVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies