Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 06:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Describe for us in detail, a business model that allows a company to pay it's workers based on their needs rather than on the worth of their labor.

Now, list all the companies currently in business using this model.

That is NOT the job of business. It is the job of government to maintain a level playing field where all stakeholders have a level playing field and the maximum supply of decent housing the private sector is willing and able to build without unnecessary government interference. It is not the job of government to pick winners and losers, or to rig the housing market in favor of some favored people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Again, you don't use "average". If you are making minimum wage, you look for cheap, not average.
https://denver.craigslist.org/search...labilityMode=0
(The min 2 is to remove all the $1 ads)
And that is a very high cost of living area. Take a much lower cost of living area like St Louis and the number doubles (despite a much smaller housing stock)
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0
did you even look at those listings? there is not a legit listing in the bunch, they are either scams or they misstate the actual rent

This one for instance: https://denver.craigslist.org/apa/6169576315.html advertises:
$195 / 3br - 1324ft2 - Roommates, this is for you! (Littleton) Looks like they left out a digit, a 1/1 is $1198 a month oops!~ Fairways at Raccoon Creek eBrochure

or this one... https://denver.craigslist.org/apa/6199746911.html $82 / 1br - 575ft2 - dont this unit slip away (1568 NOME ST) From their website: Fitzsimons Place Apartments-Aurora | Contact That 545 sq ft apt. isn't $82, it's $840 a month

This is the best so far $25 for 1166 sq ft https://denver.craigslist.org/apa/6137009181.html oh wait...it's $25 a square foot dang...

All the ones for $123 are scams reply to them and they will email you back and give you a story about how they are out of the country but if you wire them a $200 deposit they will have someone let you in to look at the house.

There are no apartments or houses that cheap anywhere..not even in rural Missouri where my SIL lives

Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Proposition 13 in California was a direct homeowner response to "newcomers are making my home too expensive to live in" - they literally insulated them from housing cost increases caused by newcomers.\\

Many states have similar homeowner protections which insulate them from housing cost increases caused by newcomers.
Oh, something that happened in California where they love government interference.

I'm not talking about the goofy states.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Completely false.
Will you die without a cell phone?
Will you be on the street without a cellphone?
Google voice will take care of the need.
You don't need more than $10 a month to have a phone!
I have been poor. My monthly saving used to be $10.
If you are working and you have kids you'd better have a cell phone in case the school or your babysitter calls you to tell you your kid is sick. A number of low paying jobs refuse to take messages for employees so your cell phone is your only recourse if you're a working single parent.

If you have a job interview and can't find the location the GPS on your phone will get you there a lot quicker than stopping people on the street until you find one who will help you.

You can do online banking with your phone, apply for jobs, and keep in touch with friends and family

I'm not saying you need to spend a hundred a month on a phone, but don't try to make it sound like people don't need one because they actually do, this is 2017, not 1957, and google voice DOES NOT replace a cell phone.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 PM

34,063 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"A hot, low unemployment labor market" is prone to the incompatible issue of "the rent is too high". What use is moving to a hot labor market if you can't afford to live there?
That area is quite inexpensive. For what you pay for a room, an apartment (1 bedroom) can be rented.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, something that happened in California where they love government interference.

I'm not talking about the goofy states.

No, it's something many states have done. Prop 13 is generally regarded as a conservative policy, not a liberal policy.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you are working and you have kids you'd better have a cell phone in case the school or your babysitter calls you to tell you your kid is sick. A number of low paying jobs refuse to take messages for employees so your cell phone is your only recourse if you're a working single parent.

If you have a job interview and can't find the location the GPS on your phone will get you there a lot quicker than stopping people on the street until you find one who will help you.

You can do online banking with your phone, apply for jobs, and keep in touch with friends and family

I'm not saying you need to spend a hundred a month on a phone, but don't try to make it sound like people don't need one because they actually do, this is 2017, not 1957, and google voice DOES NOT replace a cell phone.
Excuses and excuses.

Google voice and a $10 pay as you go cellphone would be more than enough.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
I can find enough "necessities" that even a billion dollars wouldn't be enough.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

That's what I thought - when I first heard of Google Voice I did not have a cell phone, and when I researched Google Voice I realized it wouldn't work for me.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Excuses and excuses.

Google voice and a $10 pay as you go cellphone would be more than enough.
it works better if you are trying to scam a company with a local phone number when you are looking to move. Not so much cell service in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies