Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:11 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Humans have zero control over climate change. It is just good old hubris that makes us think otherwise. If Mother Nature has decided we should die, then die we will.
If brainless bacteria can completely alter the atmosphere of the planet exactly what mechanism is preventing a sentient technologically advanced species from doing the same?

Great Oxygenation Event
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:32 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
If brainless bacteria can completely alter the atmosphere of the planet exactly what mechanism is preventing a sentient technologically advanced species from doing the same?

Great Oxygenation Event
Saying humans have no impact on the environment or climate change is going too far. I agree there.

But realistically, what would you do to alter negative impacts that doesn't involve collectivist slavery?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Saying humans have no impact on the environment or climate change is going too far. I agree there.

But realistically, what would you do to alter negative impacts that doesn't involve collectivist slavery?
Nothing really at this point in time, we are basically in a technological race to see if we can come up with a solution before we truly screw ourselves, which would be a matter of at least a few hundred years. Not that we won't experience problems in the mean time but they are in the range of things we can adapt to already. I am pretty confident we will come up with something. I am also in agreement that this problem is not solvable via regulation, it requires a technological shift which requires the tech to be an acceptable substitute for what we already have. So I guess my answer is: continue to fund innovation in energy research. There are other real world benefits to these potential energy breakthroughs as well, energy independence, the ability to say f**k off to the middle east (because everyone knows the real reason we meddle over there). Hell that alone makes it a worthy pursuit.

Saying we will be screwed in 1000 years seems like a GIANT time frame from a human perspective (and I am not saying any kind of hard number, lack the expertise to really comment on it), but from a geologic perspective it is less than the blink of an eye.

For instance, we always tend to think of the extinction of the dinosaurs as "BOOM" and the next day they are all dead, but the extinction itself probably took longer to fully manifest than the total amount of time that humans have even been on the planet. And when you start looking at things from that time perspective, we really do start to look like an extremely self destructive species, we f**k things up more and faster than any other species that has ever existed - at least on this planet anyway.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 07-11-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
...and nobody seems to care.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cientists-warn

There is still time to stop and reverse it, but it likely won't happen because people in this country don't care enough and there is too much money in the illegal poaching industry for third world countries in Africa and Asia to crack down on it (nor do they have the resources to do so if they wanted to). Sad.

The tragedy of losing these species is offset by republicanism, populism and ultra-conservatism, also being among those declining and headed for extinction. After that, the better social and political climate, will bring policies into existence that will benefit the environment and end the ravages that were wrought by the old order.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The tragedy of losing these species is offset by republicanism, populism and ultra-conservatism, also being among those declining and headed for extinction. After that, the better social and political climate, will bring policies into existence that will benefit the environment and end the ravages that were wrought by the old order.
And this lovely "new order" is what? Collectivism, enslavement, theft of income, and elimination of private property rights? Let's keep the old order, get rid of the SJWs, lose a few ridiculous snail darters and polar bears, and keep on keeping on.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:51 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Extinction is a normal and natural process, and we should not be doing anything to prevent it. Especially if it means curtailing freedom and liberty.

99% of all the species that have ever existed on Earth are extinct. If anything, artificially maintaining species that are no longer able to survive is an unnatural and destructive act. Extinction is a normal and correct process, and we should stop worrying about it.
Agree.

I want my Kentucky Fried Panda. Screw the government.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:56 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And this lovely "new order" is what? Collectivism, enslavement, theft of income, and elimination of private property rights? Let's keep the old order, get rid of the SJWs, lose a few ridiculous snail darters and polar bears, and keep on keeping on.
Black helicopters are coming too. Don't forget about the black helicopters.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:17 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,262,503 times
The way I see it, everything on this planet is natural including people and whatever damage they cause. If you take religion out of the equation, people are nothing more than another animal species that developed a large brain as a means of survival. Any consequences of that is part of the natural world. Eventually, people will become extinct just like every animal has and then new animals will develop and evolve again without people in it.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
I thought liberalism was heading for mass extinction.

Silly me.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
...and nobody seems to care.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cientists-warn

<>people in this country don't care<>
World wide problem written up in a British newspaper where most of the problem with poaching has its roots in China.
What is this country of which you speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies