Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 04:31 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Part of the reason Hillary lost was over the name calling. Why is that lesson so hard to learn?
That's funny, considering the current occupant of the WH is the king of name calling.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:33 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That has nothing to do with what "Net Neutrality" was about. That was Obama's lie. It was about government control over what you could read on the Internet. It's aim was ultimately to silence conservative views. The whole "throttling" meme was a lie.
You seem very misinformed.

Incredibly misinformed, actually.

Net Neutrality ACTUALLY does the opposite of what you're talking about since ISPs can NOW regulate content based exactly on the factors you mention (say an ISP wants to throttle or block data packets from conservatives sites, such as InfoWars or Breitbart - they CAN now do that!).

Net Neutrality regulations stipulate that ISPs cannot block or throttle data packets from any site or service.

How you equate NN regulations with censorship is beyond me. You seem to have some very bad source material from which you are pulling these inaccurate talking points.

I'm not trying to be mean or dismissive (I'm trying to be helpful!) - but you should probably read up on what the regulations actually state before commenting again on this here.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-14-2017 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 04:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
That's funny, considering the current occupant of the WH is the king of name calling.
Which doesn't negate my point. Do you use him as a role model?

Old 12-14-2017, 04:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd View Post
again. We regulated something that wasn't an issue. Why did that happen when for 15 years that was not an issue.

Isps will force very large users to pay for that extra capacity they suck up.... Like netflix...etc.

they aren't going to do something evil to regular consumers and they aren't going to block websites that's just nonsense.
lololol. Why do you think Anjit, a verizon flunky, is getting rid of NN in the first place? Hmmm.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
lololol. Why do you think Anjit, a verizon flunky, is getting rid of NN in the first place? Hmmm.
he's also an Obama flunky and appointee.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:51 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Funny how Trump appoints Obama flunkies. Only the best people, folks, believe me.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
All you need to know is the same people pushing net neutrality pushed affordable health care...which means they're either liars or stupid.
THIS^^^
Disingenuous people who tell us how THEY know what NN is and we don't. I was an ISP for more than a decade; we don't need net neutrality. We need the government to get the hell out of everyone's business!

There was no such thing as NN until Obama decided the government needed to control and manage the web. BS! It was BS then and it's still BS!

If you don't want a provider dictating to a segment of the populous then the SEC needs to start doing their job and stop allowing these companies to corner those market segments.

The only thing the internet needs is for the playing field to be fair, THAT is what net neutrality pretends to do, but doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You seem very misinformed.

Incredibly misinformed, actually.
There it is... like I said "people pretending to know better" as they do their impersonations of the three blind mice.

Last edited by steven_h; 12-14-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 04:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Obama appointee, McConnell flunky. If you read back about 10 posts.

Just wait until Verizon or whoever comes out with the "Patriot's Package" for your internet. For an additional $10 a month, your speed won't decrease on Breitbart, Infowars, Fox News and Stormfront. Additionally, CNN, PBS and MSNBC will not show up at all in your search results. You'll never have to worry about contrasting views again, as everyone who disagrees with you will be blocked from your search results.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
THIS^^^
Disingenuous people who tell us how THEY know what NN is and we don't. I was an ISP for more than a decade; we don't need net neutrality. We need the government to get the hell out of everyone's business!

There was no such thing as NN until Obama decided the government needed to control and manage the web. BS! It was BS then and it's still BS!

If you don't want a provider dictating to a segment of the populous then the SEC needs to start doing their job and stop allowing these companies to corner those market segments.

The only thing the internet needs is for the playing field to be fair, THAT is what net neutrality pretends to do, but doesn't.
You are unbelievably wrong. So wrong in fact that you're completely the opposite.

Net neutrality ensures that things are NEUTRAL. No preference for anything. All information and content is considered equal. It prevents companies from prioritizing, blocking or preferring content. It treats the internet as a utility instead of a commercial venture, ensuring fair equal access for all.

Believe me, don't believe me, whatever, but for your own sake, please at least read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality so you know what actually is at stake.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times
Republican voter here! *ducks the flying eggs*

I'm vastly ashamed of what has transpired today, and I'm glad the few Republicans in Congress spoke out against this vote. I'm ashamed that the pro-neutrality were voted 3 to 2 to be stripped, 3 people have decided the fate of our future internet experience. We, as a country, need to make a stand - hand in hand - Democrat and Republian - that this will not be tolerated. I do not care how you voted, or if you voted, this issue concerns the entire America and we need to fight it as a team. Calling Republicans out in public, as if we're all supposedly the evil spawns of Satan, is not the way to go. Instead of name calling, try to tell them what has actually transpired today - give real information, not CNN links. Republicans need to stop gloating like this is a god-send "I told you so, liberals!". This may be a roll-back of Obama regulations, but this is the one good regulation that his administration put in, and now it's being taken away.

I'm not ashamed that I voted for who I did. It was, in my opinion, the better choice of the two. You can yell, scream, and try to berate me all you want - guilt trip, spit, or demoralize me with tactics, but I stand by my choice. I admit it that Donald wasn't made for the job, I admit that his Twitter is absolutely ridiculous and childish, I admit that he made terrible choices when it came to elected officials - especially the FCC. However, he was the better candidate out of the ones that we had to choose from. I voted, and that's a difference between a lot of people who scream and holler online.

Take this opportunity to understand that voting in the upcoming election in 2018 is vitally important to the future of the internet. Yes, even Republicans, we need to vote with the online future in mind. The stripping of these rules will put the power into the giant telecom's hands, and they'll regulate themselves. How can we trust them not to throttle our internet? How can we trust them with not creating a "fast lane" for those who pay more? How can we trust that start up companies, which are vital to America, stand a chance? I just completely do not understand anybody that is praising the neutrality vote today. I hope Congress listens, I hope this action by the FCC is stopped, and the people of this country get back an equal and level playing field. We need Net Neutrality to become law, free - open - equal, and this struggle every time a new president comes into office to keep these rules are destroying our nation.

In closing, in the 2018 election I am voting Democrat. In the next presidential election, I'll vote Democrat pending the candidate. If it's Hillary again, I'll vote Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies