Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That everyone getting a trophy and participation ribbon is wrong to me too.

I believe it is more than that with graduating not knowing what students should know.

School have grossly become inundated with non speaking English students huge burden cost and lack of communication.
Flooded with political agenda gay lesbian transgender against.
Racial equity training. District where I live, $9 million alone on that!!!!!!!

Teachers and administration are burnt out.
Parents suing for silly stuff.
School staff don't know what direction to turn.
Although this is the result of the education systems unrealistic liberal agenda.

Now the students are suffering.

Drop the racial equity crap, transgender crap.
Go back to the three R' s of etching and put gym class back.

Take the politics out and firmly deal with the nutso parents.

Get student cell phones out of the schools!
And their free IPADS gone or limited.
A lot of truths in this post. Especially near the border.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
High school graduates who can barely read, write and do basic math getting A's on their grade cards. Only in liberal America everyone gets a trophy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/485787001/
Lousy liberal SJW snowflakes...ruining America.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Single parents are the most common denominator.
Definitely, as are college educated parents.

I don't blame the teachers and I don't believe this is a liberal thing as the OP indicates. Students that are held back increase cost and likelihood of not graduating.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You just described your nephew. Remember that thread you started where your nephew was getting ridiculed by some liberal elitist professor for his poor writing and argumentative skills?

LOL, well done.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

They do say ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
High school graduates who can barely read, write and do basic math getting A's on their grade cards. Only in liberal America everyone gets a trophy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/485787001/
LOL at your comment on your link. I don't understand how your link corresponds to what you stated.

Ironically, the link states the the places with the highest A-grades are actually wealthier, whiter districts and private schools!

That was interesting to me.

Also SAT scores have dropped but they only dropped by 24 points, which really isn't that significant IMO.

What I believe is that As have risen because in many districts in the SE in particular they have a lower grading scale than other places in the country. For instance, I lived in metro Atlanta and at my kid's school a 90% was an A. When we moved to Ohio he was shocked because he got a 90% and it was B. In our current district you have to get a 93% to get an A.

The link also stated that in college over half of all students get As so not sure how this is related to "liberal America" or how it can be blamed on teachers. Teachers have to follow the rules/regulations of their districts and teach the curriculum that the district/state authorizes.

And, again, in your link it says that private schools also have more As and lower SAT scores:

Quote:
the upward creep is most pronounced in schools with large numbers of white, wealthy students. And its especially noticeable in private schools, where the rate of inflation was about three times higher than in public schools.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Private schools people.
The link said grade inflation was more pronounced in private schools....

Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Well, I agree that in lower performing schools, A's are extremely easy to come by for a student who puts in a little effort. In higher performing high schools, A's require a lot of work. A LOT.

I would like to see writing samples of high school essays from the 1960's to now, with examples from high performing high schools. Essays that received As, Bs and Cs.

My guess is, they'd be fairly similar. I was surprised at how illiterate and unimaginative the writing was, in "on target" English classes vs. accelerated English classes where kids enjoyed writing.

And I'd agree that in private schools I've seen, kids get more A's for average work. Although I don't have a lot of data on that one.

And math needs to be taught almost exclusively in "word problems". We do need to know the basic mechanics, multiplication and division tables, but otherwise the work should be in word problems. It's astonishing how few students can read a word problem and even figure out what it's asking for.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
I never stated he got an A!!!
But you thought he should have gotten a better grade than he did.

Just like the many parents who complain about their children's grades being too low. And I really think that's the root of the problem that you are complaining about.

Stop blaming teachers and take a good hard look at the mirror.

I was expected to get top grades, and if I didn't, I heard about it. From both my parents and my teacher. They were on the SAME side. The message from both was the same - you're smarter than that, straighten up and fly right. It was up to me to reach the standard that the teacher set. Whereas, you complained that your nephew's teacher's standard was too high.

There are inadequate teachers out there, no question. But frankly, that's no excuse. It's not like teachers are the only source of information in the world.

Last edited by jacqueg; 07-18-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
This tired old trope again. My kids have always been aware, as have their classmates, about who is achieving and who is not. My kids take honors and AP courses and most of the their friends do too. While they don't judge those kids, they are KEENLY aware of who is 'smart' and who is not and the school makes that pretty clear too. But then again my wife and I have talked about college to them and for them since they were born. Expectation is probably the single most important driver in how kids approach their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies