Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
In our anti crime unit they had a quota on how many felonies arrests had to be made monthly. You make less than your quota you would find yourself back on patrol and in uniform. No detective track for you either.
That's terrible. Officers should be able to use discretion. Quotas! They aren't making widgets in a factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Did people here really think this wasn't happening on the regular in city districts?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
I actually railed against quotas. I had written reports of supervisors punishing cops on their evaluations for not making certain quotas. We had summons quotas. We had arrest quotas too. To be honest I could meet my monthly quota in one or two nights on patrol if I had wanted to. See everyone hates the cops actions. However what people don't see is the cop being punished for not meeting their quota. Oh your wife works and you need to work midnights because of child care? Good now you are on days. Oh you work in Queens? Lets send you to the Bronx and make you pay a toll everyday. Your kid has a communion? Nah you have to work. You want a good evaluation? Nah we will ********* on that. Also the ones that impose the quotas on cops run and hide under their desks when the crap hits the fan! BTW I have no idea if that happened in this case. There is no excuse for his behavior and he can not work in any capacity in LE ever again. Also its very disturbing that the other cops watched. He threw away his career and his freedom. No sympathy from me.
Okay, so now you're being honest enough to admit the entire law enforcement in many departments is corrupt, which is good. There should never be quotas. Cops find stuff that isn't there trying to meet an arbitrary number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Did people here really think this wasn't happening on the regular in city districts?
I think a lot of people don't really understand that many police departments are set up to foster corrupt behavior from the start.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It makes you wonder how often this happens every day across America
It's been going on in the inner-city across America for decades. It is a part of the injustice some people have been speaking about.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:15 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Now they know. And some will still justify it.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 AM

556 posts, read 788,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I have a friend that planted some drugs last winter. It's about 3 feet tall but he can't tell whether it's a male or female.
There’s a lot of information on the internet.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Okay, so now you're being honest enough to admit the entire law enforcement in many departments is corrupt, which is good. There should never be quotas. Cops find stuff that isn't there trying to meet an arbitrary number.

I think a lot of people don't really understand that many police departments are set up to foster corrupt behavior from the start.
I don't understand the need for quotas. It doesn't reveal actual work. There's different ways to work the streets as an officer.

Officer Rambo is out there catching bad guys left and right. He joined because he actually cares about the community that he lives in, he is tired of the crappy people, and he wants the streets to be safer for families and their kids. He is an equal opportunity apprehender. At the end of the month, every single month, his stats look impressive for fighting crime.

Officer Donut is out there, on the streets, catching a few bad guys here and there. He joined because he said he wants to put bad guys away, and he, too, doesn't like crappy people and wants the streets to be safer for families and their kids. He is also an equal opportunity apprehender. At the end of the month, however, every single month, his stats look like he hasn't been doing jack all.

Chief decides it's time to put in some quotas. Officer Rambo need not worry, he exceeds the number all the time, he's that gung ho, that in to his job...he lives, eats, breathes "catching bad guys". Officer Donut needs to worry. He has to change how he works to meet the quota because based on past results, he will never meet it unless he makes changes.

Officer Rambo goes on as usual. Officer Donut now has to completely change his entire routine, and, quite possibly, his personality.

It's not that Officer Donut was lazy and didn't do any work, he simply chose a different way to try to bring peace to neighborhoods. Officer Rambo wants to cuff and stuff every bad guy he sees, and does so, which makes the Chief happy. Officer Donut prefers the more liberal policy (I don't mean political) of trying to talk to the people, get to know them, build rapport, gain trust of members of the community, build trust in the kids he sees out there on his patrols, go to schools and do speeches and demonstrations, volunteer for other duties that put him out there to show the community that cops can be your friend. He'll stuff and cuff when he has to, but would prefer to give people a break and give them a chance to do better in the future. Chief doesn't like that because Chief can't see the results, immediately.

Neither cop is wrong. But that doesn't sell papers or trust in the police from other members of the community...and that's what the Chief has to answer to...those other members of the community.

Now the quota thing has gotten out of hand. The only way for some to meet it is to cheat. Their life, or some punk's life...which one do they choose. They're jaded. Those people are all criminals anyway, they're all going to get caught with these drugs one day anyway...and the cop has a quota to meet...because those other members in the community insist on seeing instant results.

This can turn once good cops into bad cops. There are some cops who were bad all along - I saw that in the military. Even as an MP you could see that some people were never meant to be in any type of authority position.

I even questioned one who was training me when I first got to Germany.

There was construction going on at a housing area near a base, and it altered the route that the people were used to taking to get in and out of that housing area. They didn't like it because getting in and out of that housing area now took 3 times as long. So they would, often, just sneak down the street that they were used to, the wrong way, and hope they didn't get caught.

The MP I was training with would hide in order to catch them and give them tickets. He would lecture the people in their car, especially if they had kids. Lecture them about accidents, and putting their kids' lives in danger, and blah, blah, blah.

After seeing this for awhile, I asked him: "If you're so concerned about their safety, wouldn't it be better to make yourself very visible so that they don't drive down this street the wrong way and get into an accident than to hide just so you can be the one who writes the most tickets this month?"

Yes. We also had an unmentioned quota. I never cared about that stupid quota. I did my job the best that I could. If it meant sitting there, visibly, to avoid people driving down that street and not have accidents, then that's what I would prefer over sneaking up behind someone, turning on the lights, and then telling them how they could have been in an accident were it not for me and the ticket I was about to give them.

Thankfully they got over their unmentioned quota phase after about a year....I think because a lot of new soldiers came in at the same time I did and none of us cared for their quota idea.

Anyway, putting the useless, bad cops aside who should never have been given the badge in the first place, having quotas may have started to ensure that all were working and doing something, but it has turned in to a giant mess, and yes I believe that, as you said, it corrupts people.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
I actually railed against quotas. I had written reports of supervisors punishing cops on their evaluations for not making certain quotas. We had summons quotas. We had arrest quotas too. To be honest I could meet my monthly quota in one or two nights on patrol if I had wanted to. See everyone hates the cops actions. However what people don't see is the cop being punished for not meeting their quota.
I can not speak for everyone but it would be my guess that the majority of people condemning bad police actions also do not support this kind of system that forces police officers to look bad in the community.

Quote:
Oh your wife works and you need to work midnights because of child care? Good now you are on days. Oh you work in Queens? Lets send you to the Bronx and make you pay a toll everyday. Your kid has a communion? Nah you have to work. You want a good evaluation? Nah we will ********* on that. Also the ones that impose the quotas on cops run and hide under their desks when the crap hits the fan! BTW I have no idea if that happened in this case. There is no excuse for his behavior and he can not work in any capacity in LE ever again. Also its very disturbing that the other cops watched. He threw away his career and his freedom. No sympathy from me.
People experience this in many jobs but I will agree with you that it makes things far more difficult than it needs to be. I don't have to deal with the public. I could see something like this happening because someone is trying to get the shift they need to make life easier. No, that is not an excuse but it seems that those who get promoted are the ones that don't care about the people but that make their superiors look good.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
This corruption generally does not start with the police but rather with politicians in their desire for more and more funding. I see where Chicago is going to pay out millions for a corrupt red light system. This wasn't put in place by law enforcement but rather by politicians. I'm sure the police still face some of the blame.

Politicians we elect. I condemn bad actions on the part of the police all the time but in the end, we are also responsible. We want actual crime addressed but we do not always want to pay for it. That leads to some very corrupt practices.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:

Yes from the politicians on down! Yes that comes from above. However its up to an officer to understand that they can not do this. Again I did it the right way. Never had to worry about getting caught for something stupid. Quotas lead to a slippery slope. I remember when SQF(stop question and frisk) was the norm in the NYPD. We had quotas on that too! It was totally wrong and a misuses of the cops and caused distrust by the public. Trust me it was very aggravating to us to have to be treated like garbage unless we met a quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies