Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

The first thing to go in a nation that is no longer free is the press. Dictators don't like criticism and prefer to monopolize the messaging their people can hear.

It seems to me that conservatives will accept no criticism of Donald Trump and would go to any lengths to dismantle the ability of media organizations to do so.

Sure, they say that they just don't like the "liberal media" and would accept one that is "fair"...which I take to mean "doesn't criticize Donald Trump."

Look, I don't like Breitbart, FOX, or Infowars, but I support their right to continue to exist, because I think that we're overall better off with a press corps capable of asking questions independent of government than without it.

I see no indication that Donald Trump has any respect for the role of a free press in our society, and I genuinely believe he would dismantle it entirely if he could. Do conservatives understand the value of a free press not beholden to a President, or do they really wish to do away with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
The independent press is a great treasure. We are very lucky to have the First Amendment.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:38 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
What we have in America is a press that will place any Republican under the microscope but continually make excuses, promote, and even collude with liberal politicians

Sorry if you don't get why some don't like that, and trust in media is at an all time low

Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,281,197 times
IMHO, this is a a double-standard shared by conservatives and liberals alike. With Trump it is just more extreme because he targets the press and basically invites his followers (which are not exclusively conservatives BTW) to attack the press and to not believe anything negative they say about him.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
What we have in America is a press that will place any Republican under the microscope but continually make excuses, promote, and even collude with liberal politicians

Sorry if you don't get why some don't like that, and trust in media is at an all time low
When Hillary did that crap with her emails and the server... Did the press cover it extensively? Or did they sweep it under the rug?

Old 07-22-2017, 04:43 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
When Hillary did that crap with her emails and the server... Did the press cover it extensively? Or did they sweep it under the rug?

Definitely did not cover it up anywhere close to the amount of one they focused on Trump. Most people I know had idea about the details of the email server

Old 07-22-2017, 04:47 PM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:

I don't even worry about "getting why some don't like it". I'm still marveling why people are stupid enough to believe it in the first place.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Definitely did not cover it up anywhere close to the amount of one they focused on Trump. Most people I know had idea about the details of the email server
Seems you have a selective memory, so let me help you out. It was covered to death, as it should be. It probably cost her the election. And I recall a lot of investigative articles into her foundation as well. I can do the Google searches for you and show you all the stories. So why didn't the liberal press instead collude with Hillary to suppress it?

Tell me one thing that is acceptable to criticize about Trump.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:

Dangerous Truth

Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
The liberal media never reports what Trump has done for the American people.. they are too busy on a witch hunt trying to find a crime or collusion which is not even a crime.. they have been on the same story line for months and months.. fake news networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies